Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Alternator help help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your vacuum readings, I would agree with whomever told you to put more initial timing in. I'm guessing cranking compression is pretty low (verify if you have a compression gauge) which makes idle quaility sorta lazy. I would push initial timing up to 25* and see if it will crank hot. Of course you'll have to block some timing out in the distributor to maintain your 38* total. My experience with really low vacuum stuff like you have is locked timing works out better for idle quality and throttle response. You will usually need a start retard to do this though. Cold usually isn't a problem but when it gets hot, it's a big maybe. Sometimes you can do a seperate start button and ignition switch - get it spinning first and then hit the ignition. Some engines it works, some it doesn't. As far as your voltage readings, they seem fine. I believe alternators have sort of a "turn on" threshold. Below a particular rpm, they put out nothing. As soon as you get above whatever their turn on point is, they put out. Alternators will get hot too - that's not a big deal either - cooling fans alone will put a decent load on one let alone headlights, fuel pumps, etc. I think your problem is just in doing some fine tuning of the idle and not electrical related. Try to push timing up at idle and see if it helps. It's free and east and if it does help, then you can see about the next step. Clay
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As what Clay said on the timing to add a few degrees might put you where you need to be vacuum wise.

It would be nice if you could pull the air cleaner and see if fuel is coming(dribble) out the boosters when idling. I still think that is why the idle is going so low. Advancing the timing should put the Vacuum a couple " above the 4.5" P/V.

Diagnosing without being there is fun! Cool
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would be nice if you could pull the air cleaner and see if fuel is coming(dribble) out the boosters when idling.

Yep, another good thing to check. Float level could be a little high or if the primaries are open too much to get a good idle speed you can have enough airflow to make them dribble.

Quote:
Diagnosing without being there is fun!

I agree, I would love to have my hands on it for an afternoon. Hearing it, feeling it, even smelling it tells so much......Clay

jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Quote:
It would be nice if you could pull the air cleaner and see if fuel is coming(dribble) out the boosters when idling.

Yep, another good thing to check. Float level could be a little high or if the primaries are open too much to get a good idle speed you can have enough airflow to make them dribble.

Quote:
Diagnosing without being there is fun!

I agree, I would love to have my hands on it for an afternoon. Hearing it, feeling it, even smelling it tells so much......Clay

Thanks man I never had any problems until I install these fans man I wish I just had the fan shroud set up.

I talk to Schneider race cams - the said on some motor with fans install they had to install a HOLLEY SOLENOID FAST IDLE.

And Lunati cams said the same thing fast idle solenoid.

I will trying the timing and check the carb floats.

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you say: Band Aid LOL
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jag327 wrote:

And Vacuum. If you are close to the 4.5" you will beat you're head against the wall trying everything!
jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
jag327 wrote:

And Vacuum. If you are close to the 4.5" you will beat you're head against the wall trying everything!

The crazy thing about this I never had any problems with it - idle was find at 800 rpm and would stay there all this summer. Motor runs strong 11:20s in the 1/4 mile 327 small block make's power 2800 rpm to 7000 max shift 7500 rpm when gets to 6500 rpm it pulls even more all most like nos is hook up to it that pull has been giving the edge in some of the racing this year.

Motor run very good man hate to change anything - thinking I may hurt the performance it has now.

This the 1st car I did all my self from the rear to the motor re-wiring the hole car. Only help was at the machine shop for the block and crank shaft machining.

Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we discussed your distributor? Mostly is it an HEI distriibutor? Is it getting a full 12.5 volts at the ignition module?

Sounds more like an ignition issue than fuel (if your plugs are not firing your exhaust will smell rich). A week spark is as bad as no spark at times. As mentioned main jets and power valves have no bearing on idle.

Big Dave
jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
Have we discussed your distributor? Mostly is it an HEI distriibutor? Is it getting a full 12.5 volts at the ignition module?

Sounds more like an ignition issue than fuel (if your plugs are not firing your exhaust will smell rich). A week spark is as bad as no spark at times. As mentioned main jets and power valves have no bearing on idle.

Big Dave

No not Hei, I have no problems with idle or tacking off from stand still only when the fans kick and then if turn on the head lights.

motor pic

jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a draw with my AC amp prob around the alternator wire close to it. AC volts at 800 rpm is 4 to 4.6 amps if right this x 10 could be just over 40 amps.
jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy's man it's the battery - advance auto Motor craft titanium only 7 month old.

They are telling me the battery is good that was in the car. I took a battery out of my truck and drove down to Budds Creek Race way I had no problems. Idle drop down 100 and went back up.

Ok now to every - 1 who makes the best battery pros and cons.

I'm going to buy new battery.

Thanks for all your help.

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless its changed since I worked for Sears, there are only a few main manufacturers of batteries.

I end up using Diehard because Sears will honor their warranty. No other reason.

I think I read that wally world sells batteries from johnson controls too under the everstart name- but I dont have the patience to deal with them, and they wont honor a warranty... Ill spend 9 bucks more for the reduced hassle.

10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jag327 wrote:
Guy's man it's the battery

the BATTERY !?!?!?!? Shocked now where have i heard that before ? Very Happy . just kidding. glad you figured it out Cheers . i have had batteries eat my lunch more than once Embarassed .

BTW, nice work in the engine bay. not to my taste but you have put a lot of effort into it Cool .

jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this was driving me nuts, Advance auto the are a trip I drive the car to them and with my truck battery in the car and I had there battery in side the car. When the manger come out I had my truck battery running the motor rpms drop 100 but went back up. Now I pull the truck battery and put in there auto craft ti 850 cranking amps motor idle fans kick in rpms drop 400 he side my alternate is bad not the battery he check so I side why would my truck battery keep it running. I said look my just give me a new 1 or just give me my money back and give me you ID store number and your manager's number. People started coming around that was in store telling man now you selling bad battery's, all this just to get it replace. They give me a new battery.

But going to buy a better 1 AGM type or a deep cycle battery ok
Guy's now give me some help on the battery's you are using pro's and con's.

PS thanks to you all to.

jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back - battery 1 was thing bad, 2nd thing my power valve was 4.5
it was opening up at idle dumping fuel at idle, my vacuum is around 4.5 I install 2.5 power valve man I'm ok so far. I pick up amprobe my amp draw is 64 amps at idle with fans and lights on. If run about min or 2 it drops down to 52 amps at idle. "O" my vacuum at idle is 4.5 and the manifold.

Thanks for all your help.

The motor pic is not the best it's big hit at car shows.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: