Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

4L60
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STEVE1103

609.94 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: 4L60 Reply with quote

Have a 91 4L60 from Camaro in my 47 Chevy, have a kit for the lock up converter, the electrical conn is OK, but the sending unit has no place on the 4L60 to be installed (book said it was a 700R). Do you have to drill and tap the case , someone said to do it on the servo cover, anyone have any info on this conversion? Crying or Very sad
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kit do you have?

To use the lockup wire the trans like this.

I challenge you to push yourself.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking you are talking about a pressure switch that goes inside the transmission. I tried a kit years ago that had a vacuum switch switch that would supposedly lock it up under high vacuum. It also had a manual lockup option that I used most of the time as I couldn't ever get the vacuum switch adjusted to work just right. It also had a switch to replace the factory switch (not sure why) that I'm assuming was located in a passage that gets pressurized in 3rd and 4th gear. Go ahead and drop the pan and it will make Smoke's wiring diagram make sense and you can actually follow the wires and see where they go. I have seen a kit that looks like it uses some sort of sending unit that installs in line with the speedometer cable and I would think it might be better able to be tuned to what you like but I never got around to using it as I stopped messing with the 200R4. Clay
STEVE1103

609.94 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: 4L60 Reply with quote

I have a kit from Rebel wiring co. The unit ( looks like an oil pressure sending unit) it is suposed to go in a plugged hole to the left of the servo cover, the 700R has this but the 4L60 case don't. There is a ground wire, a 4 prong electrical plug, and a hot wire.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 4L60 Reply with quote

STEVE1103 wrote:
Have a 91 4L60 from Camaro in my 47 Chevy, have a kit for the lock up converter, the electrical conn is OK, but the sending unit has no place on the 4L60 to be installed (book said it was a 700R). Do you have to drill and tap the case , someone said to do it on the servo cover, anyone have any info on this conversion? Crying or Very sad

This is the early 700? Why does a vaccum switch matter?

A simple wiring like Smoke posted is the way it is.

I ran mine with a 3500 stall with no lock up and still cruised at 70 2100 rpm.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, im confused. do you have a 700R4 or a 4L60 ? if its a 4L60, arent they computer controlled ?

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if its a 4L60, arent they computer controlled ?

Nope, somewhere around 91 or 92, GM changed the designations on transmissions. 4L60 meant a 4 speed, longitudinal mount, and the 60 had something to do with a torque rating. In 93 they became the 4L60E for electronic control.
Quote:
Why does a vaccum switch matter?

I used the TCI kit which had a vacuum switch that was supposed to control the lockup - high vacuum / light load it would lock up - low vacuum / higher load it would unlock. I played with it for a while and never liked it. I just used a toggle switch when I got on the interstate and it was never a big deal.
Quote:
it is suposed to go in a plugged hole to the left of the servo cover,

Yep, I just went and looked at one I have and it does have the plug you mention. I'm guessing it must be a pressure check port for a 3 - 4 gear. That servo on the side applies the band for 2nd and 4th gear and also serves as an accumulator for the 2 -3 shift. I did actually sit down and figure out where and how fluid applied in the servo /accumulator assembly, but I've slept since then and I don't remember exaclty how it works now. Everything you need should already be in the transmission already. If you do hook it up per Smoke's diagram, keep in mind your transmission may have a temperature switch also which won't let it lock up until it reaches a certain temperature. On my S-10 it works out to around 160* water temperature. Clay

STEVE1103

609.94 points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: 4L60 Reply with quote

I am not sure about your diagram, where do you get the brakes part from, I took all computer stuff off engine, running a Blazer intake, carb and distributor. Is this in the pan, have not worked on an automaic trans in years. Last one was in Vietnam, that was an allison 6 speed, now you know how old I am!!! Us old guys need a little help with this stuff. Thanks guys!
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you're never too old to learn. I know on my S-10 it actually has the contacts inside the brake switch to control the converter lockup along with brake light operation which is what Smoke's diagram is showing - two sets of contacts inside a common switch. Power gets supplied through the toggle switch and then to the brake switch normally closed contacts and then to pin "A" on the 4 pin connector. Pin "D"supplies the ground for the internal solenoid that actually diverts fluid to control lockup. The brake switch in the circut makes the system work much better. Without it, the transmission will unlock the converter if you leave the toggle switch on when you come to a stop but it most likely won't unlock soon enough and you could get sort of a "chuggle" right before it unlocks. Don't let it intimidate you, once you get it you'll think it's really simple. Keep asking questions and you'll get it. Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Quote:

Nope, somewhere around 91 or 92, GM changed the designations on transmissions. 4L60 meant a 4 speed, longitudinal mount, and the 60 had something to do with a torque rating. In 93 they became the 4L60E for electronic control.

i know im getting off track but whats the difference between a 700R4 and a 4L60 ?

STEVE1103

609.94 points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: 4L60 Reply with quote

I know the case is different, I have a 700R in my garage, they look the same, but they are different. Was told by a good tranny guy that I can use the servo cover to install my sending unit, drill and tap or put in a bung. It will activate the converter, it has the fourth grear oil pressue need for this kit.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is competely useless without pics of the 47! Laughing
STEVE1103

609.94 points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: 4L60 Reply with quote

Can't send my pictures, they are to big I think. Where do you pick up the brake in the diagram? Is this inside the trans? Thanks
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin A needs to go through the NC on the brake switch so it opens on braking. Before the brake switch is 12 volts on the NC side.
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
clay wrote:
Quote:

i know im getting off track but whats the difference between a 700R4 and a 4L60 ?

there is a little more to it but basically.........

700r4=mechanical hydraulics and speedo cable
4l60=mechanical hydraulics and v.s.s.
4l60e=all electronic some had removable bellhousing
4l65e=all electronic and lsx engines with removable bellhousing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: