Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Can a pilot bearing make noise?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Can a pilot bearing make noise? Reply with quote

Ok, so here is the oddball situation I am in-

The work truck, little nissan hardbody with a 4 banger in it- the clutch I originally put in was a disappointment. So I picked up an OEM clutch kit, and a fresh flywheel, and put them in.

Because I can do all this without actually dropping the trans but just pushing it up and back (truck has a body lift) I didnt change the pilot bearing. I think it may have been a mistake.

I also did not change the throwout bearing- it was put in (by me so I know it was done) when the last clutch was. NO noise, NO roughness, nothing.

Its a high pitched squealing noise that comes and goes- like youll push the pedal in, and its a 3-count before it begins. Instant the clutch begins to engage, gone.

What the heck am I missing here? I know, shortcuts lead to problems, but to spend extra hours on a truck that goes 200 miles a month seemed (at the time) dumb.

Anyone have some thoughts on this one?

Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a bearing, or a bushing?, and yes they can make a weird squeak right as you start to disengage, or engage the clutch at slow speed usually barely rolling or stopped. If it happens when you are going fast, then it is the T.O. bearing
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah- to be correct it is a bushing. If I pull that thing back out itll be Nismo needle bearing to be sure I dont hear it ever again!

And correct it doesnt not do it at speed. About 5 mph or less it will do it but not any faster than parking lot maneuvers.

10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its the release bearing.

i dont like roller pilot bearings because 90% of the manual transmissions i have removed, the roller pilot bearing is in multiple pieces. i wont use anything but a bushing. if youre afraid of the bronze, see if you can find a kevlar one.

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what makes me think it isnt the release bearing though-

I was taught that a release bearing will make noise if it has any pressure on it- thats what was messing with me. I can push the pedal to about halfway between fully engaged and fully released- no noise- gotta release the clutch and seemingly let the input shaft speed slow vs. crank.

I am in no way arguing or doubting- if I was taught wrong I want to correct that before I have issues over and over again following failed logic

10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill put it this way....... you HAVE to go back in to replace either. why would you do one and not the other. cost is negligible but if you worry too much about what i say or your instructors said then youre going to be kicking yourself in the arse when the noise is still there after you get it back together. me personally, i dont really care who is right just that the car is fixed. do em BOTH Wink .

af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing how to make both above Quotes I will say It might be the pilot because simply slowing the input shaft could stop the noise.
T/O bearing you can play with the clutch and hear a difference in sound.
Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a historic moment, it is the first time I have to disagree with 10secet. LOL The fact that it is a bushing makes me even more positive it is the pilot bushing. It only happens when the crank and input shaft speeds are not the same, and at very low speed(and truck barely rolling) However I whole heartedly agree that you should replace both and be done with it. Make sure the pilot shaft on the trans is not chewed up and polished smooth. If the pilot is still centering the clutch good enough that it doesnt vibrate at high rpm I have just run them and actually had the noise go away eventually.
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
This is a historic moment, it is the first time I have to disagree with 10secet.

Laughing

actully, once i got to....

MufflerBearings69 wrote:
So I picked up an OEM clutch kit

i immediately clicked "post reply" because of all the hell ive had with chinese junk parts in "OEM" clutch kits. OEM just means that someone copied the original part, its not THE original part.

i wont argue with your logic though. too bad you and MB are not closer. we could swap one part at a time for bragging rights. loser buys the beer Laughing Cheers

Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Pepper for me Laughing
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am changing both either way- I am ALREADY kicking myself for not having done so, and when I go back in both were getting changed either way just because I am NOT doing a round 3! Embarassed

I am more wanting to know what went wrong and why... I have always been the guy asking why...

The clutch kit- its factory nissan, it should be what came in there? I dont mean an OEM equivalent piece from the chain stores, I have demolished enough of those in my teenage years that I know better. Clutch that came out was a Centerforce, and was an annoying disappointment at best. Heavy pedal and chattered. Not sure why, all clean and dry... just a POS in my opinion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: