Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

SPARKPLUG GAP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chip McAllister

186.76 points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: SPARKPLUG GAP Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
I am running an msd 6al ignition box , master blaster 2 ignition coil autolite racing sparkplug, what should I be gapping my sparkplugs to? I tried msd site to info no help, I am trying to fix what seems to be a misfire above 3000 rpm. Iam running a stroked 351 w to 396 cu in this has been a reoccurring issue?

Thanks,
Fatbastard
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt its your plug gap unless its way off. i would shoot for somewhere around .035 gap. what distributor are you running ? if its an old factory distributor, you could have a bad pick-up. any carbon tracking in the dist cap ? cracks ? how old are the wires ?

welcome to SMOKEmUP Cheers

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it could be igniton related, I too doubt if plug gap is the problem. How hard are you running this thing - is it a high compression n/a setup, does it have nitrous, blower, etc. The 6AL / Blaster combo is capable of supporting to right over 900 h.p. (far as I have gone with it so far). Check to make sure the pickup wire from the distributor is as far away from any of the ignition wires as you can get it. I replaced mine with shielded cable and it got rid of a little bounce in the tach around the 2500 - 3000 area that had developed for some weird reason. To test this you could wrap your pickup wire with aluminum foil and see if it helps your misfire. Another thing that helped is running good grounds. I had been running with no ground other than relying on the solid motor mounts. There was a noticable difference when I ran grounds from each head to the frame. Granted I did the grounds and the shielded cable at the same time, so I can't say which one cured my little glitch, but there is no doubt they did make a difference. Another thing to look for is to see if any connections are getting subjected to vibration. I have seen relays get vibrated so bad in a certain rpm window that they couldn't close. Double check that on the 10ga. wires that supply power and ground to the MSD box. Let us know if you find anything. Welcome to Smokemup by the way. Clay
Chip McAllister

186.76 points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just grasping -maybe at straws. All ignition components, new or replaced within the year. Msd dist and box. Car runs 10.40s, this weekend may two passes, 10.53-10.55, then in staging lanes, hickuped and broke down all the way the track. Adjusted air/fuel, check plugs. Looked just right, broke up second elimination pass. Put it in the trailer. Came home pulled all plugs, nice even look to them all. Also put jetting back to where I started, seemed better but hard to tell. Check valve adjustment. A couple slightly tight. But when at or about 3-4k rpm smooth then pup, pup, then smooth? what gives.... I know it was real hot temp wise, but never bothhered it before.

Thanks
Chip
Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace the power valve you might have a small pin hole in it causing a rich condition that is only temporary. This would cause the pop and the depending on the vacuum you are pulling it would go away.

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked valve springs and all mechanical parts?

I had a 6AL act the same and sent it back to MSD. 10 days later it showed up stating nothing was wrong. I guess they didn't know I installed the backup and it ran fine. I still am like wtf?? Laughing

Would not a pin hole in the PV cause a very rich idle and part throttle?

Just checking P. Razz
Skunkworkx

10318.16 points

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure all your ground wires are good.
I lost ground for some odd reason and car just shut off like a light switch...cranked fine. Found wire arcing (by accident Embarassed Cleaned and fixed ground wire, fired right up.

jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip, welcome to SMOKEmUP.com
I set the gap in my Nova to .045. I'll have to see if I can find some paperwork to substantiate the reason for .045. Think it had to do with my compression ratio and the fact that it's naturally aspirated.

I'm thinking something else is causing your problems. Have you changed anything in the car?

Hope to see you at the Nostalgia Event on the 25th @ New England Dragway.

FastBastardRacing forever Driving
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have scared Chip away. His Mustang leaves real hard with the wheels in the air. The Mustang is the first car he ever owned and he's still got it. Not too many people can make that claim.

Today was a points day at New England Dragway but I don't know if Fat Bastard Racing made an appearance.

I looked through the hundreds of pictures I have of cars at the track but couldn't find one of Chips car.
Skunkworkx

10318.16 points

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it fixed ?

What was found ?

We need to know ?

Then maybe not ??? Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: