Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Hydraulic Clutch Linkage Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic Clutch Linkage Problem Reply with quote

A couple days ago my son lost the clutch on his 95 Z-28. He said he noticed it not shifting right the last couple days. (T-56) (I assumed that was because the slave cylinder wasn't traveling far enough as it was going bad.) The clutch didn't slip & there were no tell tale noises of something going bad inside the bell housing. We had it towed home and yesterday Jeff put a new clutch master & slave cylinder in. There are no bleeder valves so we've been trying to bleed the system by bench bleeding, installing & pumping the pedal, etc. We've had it in and out of the car several times trying everything we can think of but still no werkie. Is this a normal problem bleeding with with new parts? Is there a trick to making this easier or do we just keep trying to bleed the air out until it works?
Is there a chance we have other issues? I didn't think so because what little I can see through the slave cylinder mounting hole everything seems to look & feel o.k. inside the bell housing. That and there were no signs of mechanical problems with the clutch itself before this happened.

Jeff has a tune-up date with the dyno next week & really wants to get this deal figured out soon.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Clutch Issue Reply with quote

Can you see if the slave is moving when you depress the pedal?
Or is it completely covered by the bell housing?

Corey

pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's completely covered by the bell housing. It moves on the bench but then there's no resistance when it's not installed either. I can feel the slave cylinder when it's installed & Jeff runs the pedal and it feels like it's doing something. I can hear a little click like the slave cylinder rod is contacting the fork, but if there is still air in the system it probably isn't applying much if any pressure to the pressure plate. Clutch pedal drops to the floorboard same as a brake pedal that needs bleeding. Question

Master & Slave are both plastic units.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there should be a bleeder. look REALLY close. its probably a tiny allen set screw. last time i saw a slave cylinder without a bleeder was 1990. if you actually dont have one, i would take it back to the parts store and exchange it for one that does. i know they are available for that car with a bleeder screw. if you absolutely cant get one with a bleeder screw, you have to fill the slave with fluid through the line fitting and keep that fitting up while you install the line. once you install the line, its a tedious process of opening the line connection, pressing in the slave cylinder (while off of the trans) then reconnecting the line and releasing the slave. this will push out air/fluid and suck fluid back in when the line is connected. this method is a real pain in the ass but if youre patient, it will work. hopefully you will find the bleeder screw or get a slave that has one.

pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no bleeder on either cylinder. From the info I've gathered we just need to keep doing what we've been doing. We've gotten a lot of air out of the system by bench bleeding, keeping the slave low and pumping it, forcing the fluid back to the master. Neither Jeff or I have messed with a deal like this before and didn't really think bleeding a simple set-up like this would be a problem, we now know better. Embarassed We are going to give it another shot or 2 this weekend and if we don't have any luck Jeff is going to pick up a GM unit that comes assembled & pre-bled. Should have done that to start with, we'll know next time. (Hopefully there won't be a next time). Shocked
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff's at work today. We have the thing set up on the bench. I'm working on my car today, but every time I walk by the bench I compress the slave & pump up the master cylinder. I'm getting a few bubbles every time. If I do this enough maybe it will eventually work. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: