Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Great track day!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Great track day!!!! Reply with quote

Our track finally got a decent day to run this year. They've been trying, but it has been raining, cold and windy or snowing about every weekend so far. Anyway, Tiremine had the best day with his truck. For a refresher, he has a 64 Ford F100 with a Procharged 429. It has a hydraulic camshaft, Weind dual plane intake and headers. Stock everything else with untouched heads even. Running about 10 - 12 lbs boost with pump gas and water injection. Don't know about weight and I can't remember his r.w.h.p. but it's on here in a post somewhere. He had run BFG drag radials in the past and had ran some low 8's in the 1/8th and wanted to get in the high 7's. It had a bad problem with launching, doing all sorts of weird stuff in the back end. He has been in the process of moving so I'm storing his truck for a while. I changed a few thing with the Caltrac copies (since I have learned a few things about them and his were the first one's we made) and the shock orientation was horrible so I made some different mounts that moved the shocks outward almost a foot on each side and stood them almost vertically for better control. First pass he ran a 7.27 with a 1.59 60' time. Better than either of us had thought possible. Next pass was even better with a 7.06 with a 1.509 60' time. Unbelievable to us for a pretty heavy truck. He had also switched to Mickey Thompson Drag Radials which helped tremendously. We tried another trick or two but we could never get into the 6's, but I actually think it's possible.
I have changed a few things on the Nova. After my last track test, I had an ignition problem to find. I did several things - installed a shielded cable from the pickup to the MSD box, found my Pertronix module had gotten loose inside the distributor and may have been causing problems and also installed grounds from the heads to the frame. Engine runs much better and pulls through the rpm range much better. Another change was to install a retard that activated on the transbrake to help with turbo spool. Both of these were postive changes but I think the next one might have been a bad one. The Moroso trick spings in the front had sagged bad enough over the years and even more with the turbo install that I couldn't get a jack under it to jack it up anymore and it was getting aggravating to drive around. Put in some stock replacement springs and this raised the front end up 2". Although I think the stiffer springs are throwing the front end up too quick in addition to the reduced amount of "push" from the higher ride height. I changed air pressures and shock settings on the rear and I think I'm close on that end. Back to the front end and I think I need some sort of boost controller too. I'm thinking something like a few tenth's of a second ramp up would work wonders and the transbrake is just a little too violent for a heavy car - maybe. I did get a 6.38 but with a 1.47 60'. I'm thinking the 60' should be in the high 1.30's which would put the e.t. in the range I want for the boost level I had it at (guessing around 15 lbs. but I haven't looked at the data yet). I have an in car video in the daylight that you can see the tach which it pretty neat. It's a handfull on this pass though - I wasn't sure if I had made it to the end or not but I had had enough either way - the little move at the big end sorta spooked me (Knarley will probably like it though - it's partly the result of trying lower tire pressure). If my reception gets good enough I can upload it - I'm in a Verizon vacuum. I might have to take the laptop up the road a little ways to get it uploaded but I'll get it.
Another REALLY impressive truck there was a later model Dodge diesel (not sure of year). We talked to some friends of his and it weighed 6100 lbs. and was running 7.11 in the eighth Shocked . He had some sort of low profile tires - maybe a drag radial - I never looked. Ran it 4WD and it spun all 4 for maybe 1/2 a truck length when it left which was weird to watch. They had nitrous on it also but were having problems getting it to work right as it slowed down 0.1 when they used it. It was really cool to watch and talk to the guys that were there. All in all a great track day - great weather and everybody's junk was still running at the end of the day. Clay

squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a great outing

im waiting for the frozen tundra to thaw Crying or Very sad

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an action photo of Tiremine's truck, I don't know if there has ever been a pic on here - still working on the video. Clay

squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats 1 sharp lookin sleeper

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its always good when you can drive it back on the trailer Cool . what was your best time with the procharger ? are you spinning on launch ?

osmiumfoot

2387.84 points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet that thing would really haul butt if you took the hay bales out of the back!
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the in car video of a 6.38 pass. Best 1/8th with the Procharger was a 6.11 but there is potential with the turbo's - I just have to get everything under control. The launch is the problem and I'm going to order a boost controller to take care of that. I'm leaning toward the MSD unit right now. At least the list of things to take care of / fix / figure out is getting shorter. Clay

squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dig the whooooo hooooo hooo ho!!!!!!at the end Laughing

i bet that'll get better when your in the 5's too Very Happy

304.10 points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

osmiumfoot
The hay bales are why it's haulin butt! lol
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just haulin the HAY!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Skunkworkx

10318.16 points

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track looks a little green still... get some more rubber and VHT on there Smile

Great runs Cheers

10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Here is the in car video of a 6.38 pass. Best 1/8th with the Procharger was a 6.11 but there is potential with the turbo's - I just have to get everything under control. The launch is the problem and I'm going to order a boost controller to take care of that. I'm leaning toward the MSD unit right now. At least the list of things to take care of / fix / figure out is getting shorter. Clay

so, i can assume its building too much boost and spinning ? cool vid. i need to do an in-car video. probably the only way im going to see what rpm im actually shifting and going through the traps Laughing . i swear last time out that shift light stayed on the entire pass Shocked Embarassed .

10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Here's an action photo of Tiremine's truck, I don't know if there has ever been a pic on here - still working on the video. Clay

we need more info on this truck Cool Cool Cool . BTW, i dont see a roll bar in that pic Confused .

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing fancy or exotic about the driveline on the truck. To add some more info. from the first post. It has a Comp Cams 292H hydraulic camshaft, stock ratio roller rockers, stock component rebuild (maybe even cast pistons - I didn't ask him that), C6 with a 10" converter that is too loose (it was set up for the 429 in N/A form), 3.90 rear with Mickey Thompson 295/65/15 tires on 8" wheels. It has a Demon blow through carb that I wouldn't recommend as we have struggled to make it work decently, homemade brackets to mount a Procharger P600B making around 10 - 12 lbs. boost and homemade water injection. MSD ignition with a MSD BTM timing retard and Mallory distributor. We really were pretty shocked it ran the number it did. The 60' times took us by surprise. It picked up around 0.45 in the 60' which translated to about a 0.9 improvement in the 1/8th as nothing else has changed other than the suspension improvements in the rear. I've been getting on him to start thinking about a rollbar. I have a video my dad shot at the track of it that I'll post later. Dad does so good at getting a lot of cool video that none of the rest of us think about until it's too late. I have to get some more pictures of his (dad's) truck on here too - we have been working on it some - hopefully it will be finished in the next few months. Clay
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to uploading the video.

Truck leaves without really doing anything except going forward - which is great. Clay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: