Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

what is the best turbo for a ford 302ci

View previous topic :: View next topic  
87turbofoxbody

810.78 points

1987 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: what is the best turbo for a ford 302ci Reply with quote

i have a 87 5.0L with ported head and a holset H1C with the 50mm inducer and a 16 cm*2 exhaust housing, i was just wondering to make 450rwhp will it be enough or would you suggest something different, any and all help would be apprieciated, but i have factory hedders flipped backwards, 2 1/4" crossover and a custom made t3/t4 flange, (will fit either a t4 or a t3) and 3" downpipe. my goal is to have a reliable 450-500 rwhp without spliting the block lol, just running 5-10psig i would perfer 8psig, so what housing could i get this with or what a/r and what turbo. thanks guys. btw my current setup makes 5psig from what i can see, i have seen it make about 9 before but that was only once, and it was on the street so i couldnt take it to the max rpm, and had to let out of it, and i didnt have a boost gauge when i went to the track. but i will go to the track asap
ported E7TE heads
single Holset H1C turbo
3" downpipe and exhaust
2.73 gears
15.7@91mph in 1/4 mile
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can get the 60mm H1C and put the 16cm*2 housing on it , that would get you above and beyond your HP goals. question is, can that 302 spool it ? bad thing about using the diesel turbos is the larger exhaust housing. yours has one of the smaller housings so it should spool better than most. only way to know for sure is to bolt it on and see how it spools. if theres too much lag then give it a 50-75 shot of nitrous. i would try what you have first.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do not have a compressor map for your turbo. If you target 8 psi of boost this puts you on the bottom (inefficient part) of most compressor maps. If you can target running at least 10 psi of boost so you'll hit the most efficient part of the map. Using our turbo calculator it shows approximately 50 lbs/min @ 6000 rpm which is about 475 flywheel horsepower.

To achieve your goal of 450 rwhp you'll need about 530 fwhp. If you turned the boost up to 11 psi should put you near this HP level.

If you haven't already check out the Turbo 101 article.

I challenge you to push yourself.
87turbofoxbody

810.78 points

1987 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, well that small h1c isnt really cutting it, it goes out at about 5200, but i had a buttload of boost leaks from my rigger nigged PVC charge pipe. haha i know i know pvc and heat dont mix, lesson learned. so i think it will be better but what i am going to do is start building up a 306ci dart block with all forged internals, and about 8:1 compression ratio, and AFR heads, and professional products intake, and save up for a Master Power T70 with a .96a/r but ill probably go to a .84ish a/r for better spool. but thanks for all the help you guys.
ported E7TE heads
single Holset H1C turbo
3" downpipe and exhaust
2.73 gears
15.7@91mph in 1/4 mile
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recommend a quicktime turbo kit. i am unsure what size turbo that came with the kit, but it is a very well designed kit that not only required very little fab to the bumper or anything else, but also performs crazy. my buddy had quite a few visits to the performance shops to get all the different programs perfected, but it is killer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: