Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Not so good track day....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Knarley Darley"] 28 degrees 15 lbs pump gas, not good. Your whole piston is missing above the top ring.
[quote]

Why would only 1 plug be like that? And #4 to boot??

This whole pump gas thing is really crazy not knowing what is put in it from summer to summer. The detonation factor in the fuel is definitely different and you have no clue on the fill up what you are getting.

I think you lifted the top on #4 and that is all. The rest of the plugs show good from what I can see from the pictures.

Knarley? Why are the other plugs looking good?
Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know why, but It seems to always only hurt one random piston. That is why I said it will probably turn out OK. I once broke the top off a forged TRW in a 350 with a roots 671 on pump gas that I street drove. It would rattle and ping pretty good in hot weather and one day the piston broke above the top ring. I replaced the one piston and switched to nitrous and never had another problem with the other 7 pistons. All the guys I race with when they burn up it only holes one piston for some reason, and never the same one???????? So I guess the short answer is the other plugs looked good because those cylinders are fine.
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 plug is dark through the treads? HMMM
It will be snowing here tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:

timing mark on the plugs looks about right to me Confused . 3 and 7 look a bit fat but then again, im willing to bet these plugs have a bit more run time than just the one pass. therefore, there probably isnt a whole lot of useful info left to read.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the previous 383 I pulled 12* for total of 26 with intercooler and no water injection. If I pulled more timing out of it, it would get sort of a crackly sound out of the carb and lose a lot of power. I put water injection on it and ran it up to 15# (usually stayed around 12# - 15# was on the chassis dyno) with 30* timing on pump gas. I put a larger nozzle in this setup and had a full point less compression and aluminum heads instead of iron. Not saying I'm right (obviously I'm wrong about something or there wouldn't be piston parts in the exhaust manifold Smile ) - just explaining my rational. However that was supercharger - this is turbocharger. With the supercharger it could at least get rid of heat easily out of the exhaust port. Maybe the turbocharger paired with not really a turbo spec. camshaft is retaining too much heat in the chamber and causing it to be much more detonation prone. I checked the water injection system and everything seems to be fine. I have it activate with a pressure switch at 2 lbs. so I put pressure on and off the switch about a dozen times and it started up every time. Left it running for waaayyy longer than it should ever need too and no problems either. After this post and some more thought I think it might have been a combination of things - wrong camshaft retaining too much chamber heat - maybe too much timing - maybe inconsistent pump gas - maybe too lean - maybe too little ring end gap. I have to put it back together for my buddies car show this weekend and I might put tiremine's truck under the carport and pull it out. Curiosity is sorta getting to me as to what's lurking inside - I just hope it didn't hurt the bore. 10sec.et - the plugs have been in since the beginning of this engine. If I had to guess they have about 700ish street miles and around 20 passes. Plan so far is to change camshaft, new water injection pump and switch, check other end gaps and look at ring ends very closely for signs of butting, get it fat and happy and quit dicking around with pump gas when I go to the track - in addition to fixing the obvious problem. Knarley - definately ask your buddy for any advice he has - I'm absolutely open to suggestions. Clay
Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the carnage. It sucks when things get messed up. Keep us posted. I will try to talk to greg tomorrow.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does, but it's like I tell my daughter when she does something wrong and gets upset - when things go wrong - that's when you really learn something. Thanks, Clay.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the boost curve on the turbo compare to the supercharger? Since the supercharger is belt driven boost increases linearly with RPM, on turbos full boost can be reached at an earlier RPM. The point I'm trying to make is , does the turbo setup make more boost at an earlier RPM where previously the timing wasn't an issue.

I challenge you to push yourself.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing some testing with the boost controller, so actually in this case, boost was ramping up similar to the Procharger. Previously I had tried to launch without a controller and boost was higher at launch but not necessarily earlier in the rpm range due to spool up time. Another difference is that boost would drop off about 3 lbs. at the shift on the Procharger and of course it doesn't drop on the turbo's. I saved some logs from the boost controller but I can't figure out how to open them back up yet to post a screen shot. Clay
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
I saved some logs from the boost controller but I can't figure out how to open them back up yet to post a screen shot. Clay

What type of file is it? Can you just print screen then paste into paint?

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a .acq extension. I'm assuing it's something specific to the MSD software. It's strange - when I select the "file" tab, the "open" option is grayed out. If I select "save as" which is active, I can see the files I have saved, I just can't figure out how to open them yet. Nothing in the help file either. If I can get it open, I was going to do exactly what you mentioned. Clay
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick search and found the file format associated to software by the company http://www.acqutach.com/. It appears to be a proprietary format.

They have a downloads page with updated software. Hopefully this is what you need.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: