Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

MSD 7562 Boost controller installtion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: MSD 7562 Boost controller installtion Reply with quote

I've been in the process of installing a boost controller and have run into several problems - unfortunately both of them caused by MSD themselves. First problem was the diagram in their installation instructions for plumbing up a dual port wastgate. The boost contoller uses two valves - one to apply pressure and one to dump pressure on the back side of the wastegate piston and effectively change the spring pressure to adjust boost. Plumbed and wired like they show on page 5 of the instructions, it's actually backwards. Figured this out from two sources, one - it wouldn't build boost but the date showed it was trying to - two - on page 4 of the installation instructions it's shown connected the correct way. I started with a 2 bar M.A.P. sensor I had to start setting this thing up. When I plugged the sensor in, the unit wouldn't power up. Unplug the sensor and it would. Found out that the +5v and ground wires were backwards from what I had already hooked up. I noticed in Summit's catalog that they sell a specific MSD sensor so I guessed they did this on purpose so you would have to buy their sensor. I ordered one and when I plugged it in, it immediatly showed 45 p.s.i.a. I called MSD tech support and after not a lot of help, he pretty much concluded it was bad. Called Summit to see about sending it back and getting another one a.s.a.p. without buying another one. The customer service guy had a great solution - he e-mailed me a shipping label with a tracking number on it. As soon as I shipped it and it showed up in tracking, they would ship me another one and I wouldn't have to wait for it to get all the way back to Ohio. After a little more thinking, it turns out that MSD actually installed the +5v and the ground wires backwards in the weatherpak connector that plugs into the M.A.P. Got a pin removal tool, swapped the wires, and it appears to be working for now. I sent MSD an e-mail expressing my dissapoitment at their QC department and I'll post what they reply. I didn't need to ship the sensor back but I'll have to go on record saying that Summit racing was really doing a great job of trying to help me out - I'll call them on Monday and let them know I found the problem. I hope I can get this thing to the track next Saturday. Clay
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well MSD never sent me a reply. I'm going to post on their forum and see what they say, hey maybe they didn't get my e-mail. Anyway I went to the track today and I'll post in the drag racing forum. Clay
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried another e-mail. Here is a copy of what I sent. I know this might not interest anybody, but dang it - I want a reply from them. Clay

I recently purchased a 7562 Boost Controller because I have had very good experiences with your products in the past. However it appears that things have changed at your company - especially in the QC department. First problem is the installation manual. On page 5 you have a picture to connect a dual port wastegate. After following this diagram and doing some testing, I couldn't get the system to work. After some thought it appeared that the solenoids might be connected backwards. How about on page 4 you show the same dual port wastegate arrangement connected the opposite way than on page 5. Next problem was with the M.A.P. sensor. After unsuccessfully trying to use my 2 bar sensor (system wouldn't power up when it was connected) I determined that the +5v and the ground wires were backwards in the plug for it. Since you make a specific M.A.P. sensor for your boost controller I ordered it. After connecting it, upon powerup it showed 45 p.s.i.a. without the engine running. I called your tech line and after some talk, we had decided that the M.A.P. must be defective and I should call Summit Racing to return it. Before I sent it back I thought to go double check the MSD M.A.P. sensor to see if it had the same problem as my GM 2 bar - +5v and ground swapped. The actual problem was the wires were installed incorrectly by you. I made a pin removal tool and swapped the +5v and ground and it seems to be working o.k. for now. I don't have to tell you that it's hard enough to figure out a new combination twin turbo drag car without being led astray be installation instructions and on top of that having to troubleshoot manufacturing defects. Hopefully it will work now without any more problems but I don't have near the confidence in your products I had at one time. Clay

af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Boy! Laughing

Good luck with that one Clay.

We just found all the main bearings beat up from what appears the 44 Mag advancing at high RPM in Uncles blown Willys. You know what MSD says. finger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: