Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Gotta redo another FE, need machining advice.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Gotta redo another FE, need machining advice. Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So I got a 68 Country Sedan wagon recently, traded a Honda for it. Yeah, wagons arent worth much KBB wise, but I like it.

Anyways, I got the original 390 with it, but in pieces. Came with another 390 out of a 70 F-250 supposedly with low miles on it. I tore it down today to find out that the bearings are done- I refer to them as smoked because i think it was seized up and free'd back up and driven some more by some jackass. A few pics of the #1 main bearing are attached if anyone has some insight.

Anyways, considering the 428 crank route yielding something around 416 cubic inches. The thing is, I dont have a 428 crank to have cut. So I would have to buy a predone crank kit like all the parts houses sell and pay the core fee.

What do you guys think of using a NAPA crank kit? I know I am asking for opinions so please say what you honestly think- everyone here has more experience with engine building than I do. .. Hence I ask here Very Happy

The carnage:

DSC_0010-sm.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DSC_0010-sm.JPG
 Filesize:  177.05 KB
 Downloaded:  877 Time(s)

DSC_0001-sm.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DSC_0001-sm.JPG
 Filesize:  157.41 KB
 Downloaded:  878 Time(s)

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I found what I believe to be original std bored pistons in the bores- stamped STD on top and had the dimples indicating the front that are quite large compared to the aftermarket ones ive seen... Also found a horribly sloppy oil pan gasket attempt and a M57HV oil pump that was seemingly slopped in to try to band-aid the bearing carnage...
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know what to tell you about the NAPA crank kit but i was talking to my machinist the other day about my Olds clearances and he said "yeah, the FE motors are the same". you need extra clearance to keep it alive......... its not a Chevy.

DeStroked

598.08 points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For '66 and '67 Mercury built a 410 using the 390 block and 3.980" stroke (428) crank. Only the crank and pistons are different from the 390. Rods are the same. 410 pistons are still made by Federal-Mogul. At summit you will find them listed as mid-70's 390 truck pistons. They were used in those trucks to lower compression but with a 3.98 (428/410) crank they should give between 10-10.5:1.

Pistons are Federal-Mogul #381 and they run about $115 a set from Summit. The mid-70's 390 truck piston and the 410/428 stock pistons are all dished because that extra .200" of stroke adds compression. Standard 390 pistons won't work because they have a different compression height.

You can get a reground factory 428 crankshaft Kit from Autozone for $245.99 that includes the crankshaft with matching main and rod bearings, 1.375" transmission pilot, and no core charge. Part number is 19420. You'll also need the matching flexplate (external balance).

The best thing about this upgrade is that it's way cheaper than a Scat or Eagle stroker kit (about $500.00 just for the crank). Since it uses all factory parts in a factory combination there's no guesswork or worries. It's no different than if you were rebuilding it as a 390.

Best regards,

DeStroked

Last edited by DeStroked on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard very similar info on the Galaxie forum too... Sounded like the way to go as far as that is concerned... If I got .030 over it should yield something like 416 inches Very Happy

Not that it will make it a monster but if I can pick up ~20 cubes for nothing more than a little extra thought why not?!

DeStroked

598.08 points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MufflerBearings69 wrote:
Not that it will make it a monster but if I can pick up ~20 cubes for nothing more than a little extra thought why not?!

Yup, but keep in mind those extra cubes are from the .200" stroke increase. That translates into a real seat-of-the-pants torque increase!
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is what ead me to it to begin with- its a 68 Country Sedan I picked up it would be going into this summer hehe
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeStroked wrote:

That translates into a real seat-of-the-pants torque increase!

NO!!!!!!!!! Not again!!!!! Laughing
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
DeStroked wrote:

That translates into a real seat-of-the-pants torque increase!

NO!!!!!!!!! Not again!!!!! Laughing

TORQUE rules HP drools Devil Poke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: