Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Project 454 on the stand
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
af2

66636.48 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
I think you're leaving WAY too much power on the table with that camshaft selection. My buddy has a mid 230's at 0.050" in a 454 / factory rectangle port and it is very mild as far as idle and streetability and that's about the smallest cam range I would consider for a 496.

X2 on that quote!
SkinnRodd

667.04 points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
I think you're leaving WAY too much power on the table with that camshaft selection. My buddy has a mid 230's at 0.050" in a 454 / factory rectangle port and it is very mild as far as idle and streetability and that's about the smallest cam range I would consider for a 496. It looks like the 045's are shown as a "small oval port" head. I personally wouldn't use them. If you could find a good deal on some factory oval ports (#781,049, or 186 it looks like) they would be good castings to start with. However by the time you get all the necessary work done (probably all guides, cut for larger valves, pocket port, surfaced, etc.) then it sucks because you are rapidly approaching the cost of the Summit rectangular ports. I haven't messed with a lot of big blocks but I'd probably try the Summit heads, especially on your 496. RPM air gap is a hard intake to beat for what you are looking to do. I hope some big block guys will chime in. Clay

I have a set of 4.10 axles to slap on in place of the 3.42's but with 35"Tires and the OD700 4.10's have me doing 2565rpm @ 65mph in 3rd with a 1:1 ratio. 4th gear would drop me into the interstate relm i suppose. What camspec would you run with the summitheads and @ what static cr? I am interested in the hyd.roller setups, because I think they will pay for themselves in the long run.
clay

316326.39 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at something like this 230* in. with 0.585" lift - 236* ex. with 0.610 lift on a 112* seperation (Howards part #120255). It might have a little more lope than my buddies since his is a mechanical flat tappet but even at that I think it will be really streetable. If you are going to stick with the 700R4 it has a very low first gear that will make this thing a beast in low gear and it absolutely has the potential to break some stuff in the drivetrain. Static compression in the high 9's to low 10's should be fine I would think. Do the math and see what compression you can wind up with. Usually there are only a few piston options so you are sorta stuck with what you get. Clay
JLL

276.54 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Stock 86 1/TON 4WD Cam spec's Reply with quote

SkinnRodd wrote:
I am not sure what the stock cam specs are, but I do know it came out of a 86'1ton crewcab w/manual trans. The owner said that truck was 4wd too for what ever thats worth. The specs on the stock cam would be nice to have, but I don't have them. The sooner that valve closes the higher your CR is gonna be, right? What would you do with this stock BBC before planting it the truck? My harley has JE pistons in it that have worked really well with a 11.3:1CR, but it has heads on it similar to the W bowtie heads and insane cam. What do you think? Any recipie ideas? Be specific please, because I want to do this right! Thanks fer the help.

This not in stone...86 454ci HYD DUR @.050 192/203 LIFT .398/.430 LOBE CTR 110.5 P/N 3963544
Hopes this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: