Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

ENGINE SWAP CHEVY 350 FOR A VORTEC 6000
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willmac1211

442.40 points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: ENGINE SWAP CHEVY 350 FOR A VORTEC 6000 Reply with quote

i have a 1990 k5 blazer 4x4. its got a bone stock 350 chevy (this is fuel injected) thats weak as water. its supposedly got 190 hp from the factory and at +200k miles its got less. i have heard of a swap for the vortec 6000 (or LQ4 thats the 6.0 liter gm motor that comes in some newer gms) looking for any advice or info anybody has
willmac1211

442.40 points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this would be the right forum
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking to keep the 6.0 fuel injected or would you run a carburetor? Clay
willmac1211

442.40 points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would like to keep it injected..... may have to purchase brrain box deal
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your best bet on a swap like that is to have a donor Z71 and swap everything over. getting a late model engine, trans, PCM and everything into an older truck (particularly a 4x4) is going to require that a LOT of parts are available for the swap and that they actually fit into your truck along with the parts that are already there. can "snowball" really quickly.

willmac1211

442.40 points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thing is i have little $.......... so getting a late model Z71 would be tough. a four wheel drive mag did something similiar leaving the tranny original i believe
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the trans is going to be your biggest hurdle. if you use a factory computer, its going to want to talk to the trans. an aftermarket EFI system like Megasquirt might work well but i dont really know enough about those to be much help. im sure others will be along that know more.

willmac1211

442.40 points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks man. .. i need to do more research myself and i need to find the mag that put the idea in my head cause i currently cant. but yeah that makes sense
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
i think the trans is going to be your biggest hurdle. if you use a factory computer, its going to want to talk to the trans. an aftermarket EFI system like Megasquirt might work well but i dont really know enough about those to be much help. im sure others will be along that know more.

yes look into trans at the very least a new converter
i know peeps are bolting on thm400 and 350's with a different converter
the bolt pattern on the trans may be the same
4l80's are bolted on to both gen1 and lsx motors as well
i know you can get a manual v.b. for these and not need a computer if this helps

PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stick with the stock computer and have it programmed for a manual transmission. Why not just swap the motor and trans as a unit?

The LS motors use a different motor mount so you'll have to make some adapters or buy some. I'm pretty sure the A/C won't clear and will require some fabrication to keep it. Otherwise it should drop in pretty easy.

As 10sec.et said, the best thing would be to get an entire vehicle and then you can pull everything you need.

Here's a good link for an LS1 into a Monte SS.

I challenge you to push yourself.
willmac1211

442.40 points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a link to it.... again i got shallow pockets.
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/chevy/131_0407_6_0_liter_gm_engine_swap_2/index.html
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there an echo in here ? Laughing

seriously though, i can respect the desire to do an engine swap like that. however, i have done a few and its hard work and there are always pitfalls you did not anticipate. on a limited budget (we all are) i would rebuild what you already have. im not a fan of the old TBI units because they tend to develop weird problems over time. i think i would seek out a GOOD Q-jet guy and use that instead of the old EFI............. just my opinion popcorn

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to vouch for him - he has talent and will do whatever it takes labor wise to get it done. However, when budget issues come up as they do with about all of us, I'll have to agree with 10sec.et and look into what you can do with what you have (don't know about the Q-jet idea though). On the swap idea - even if you use the existing computer, there will be issues. Wiring harness for starters. Even if you get a harness, then you have to get the computer reflashed to eliminate the security features I'm sure. Another option is buying an aftermarket setup like Painless sells that has the computer and harness to run just the engine which helps with the transmission end of things. Both of these options will work, however neither are cheap. To start with on using what yo have, the heads on that thing are the WORST heads GM ever made - anything else is an improvement. Since I know you can do all the labor yourself, you could do a rebuild and even a 383 build for not a lot of money. Even a set of later model Vortech heads untouched will be light years ahead of what you have. I'd be happy to help you with engine part selection and even assembly if you need it. As far as the TBI, it's the main problem I see. Start doing a search for companies that burn chips and call them. See if they have a chip for a specific camshaft / head / displacement setup that you can copy. There might not be to many of these companies, I don't know. Don't get me wrong, the later model engine designes are where it's at, but it might not be feasible right now to do the swap. Later, Clay
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my reasoning behind a Q-jet recommendation is two fold. one, i have a bitter hatred for TBI systems (lots of very long stories) and two, there are several Olds guys getting better mileage with the Q-jet on their 455s than i do with my LT1 Head Bang . although, i seriously doubt the OP will even consider this option because you need a carb guru to set it up. im just thinking out loud Wink .

i will say that i believe the weird TBI issues are caused by worn out engines. its the only logical explanation.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not opposed to a Q-jet. I've also had good luck with an Edelbrock carb on a truck. The only thing that concerns me is emission laws. North Carolina has had them for several years and I keep thinking it's only a matter of time before South Carolina enacts something. Who knows what sort of thought process is taking place in our statehouse (I'm thinking there isn't much thought in politics anywhere anymore - but that isn't a subject for here). Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: