Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Prokar lifts and lifts in general.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Prokar lifts and lifts in general. Reply with quote

So my xmas gift is going to be a lift. I am getting a brand new Prokar 2 post. I am ecstatic about this- BUT concerned at the same time and came here for some info.

1) Any of you ever heard of Prokar lifts / know much about them good or bad?

2) Anyone ever set up a lift from scratch before? I am not too sure what I am getting myself into with this yet. I am going to ask the dealer of course, but we all know sales people arent always the best data source...

Thanks.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting a lift. I'm jealous.

I have no experience with Prokar lifts so I can't say either way. Nor have I installed a lift (yet anyway).

I challenge you to push yourself.
beersngars

13369.80 points

1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of Prokar. Probably one of the many off shore offerings. As to setting one up, yes I have done a few. I set up a few at my old shop and helped a buddy do one in his garage. Not complicated at all. The main thing is the layout/location. Once you have determined where to put it, just a matter of drilling some holes and getting the posts set. From there it's pretty straight forward.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed I suspect its an offshore offering- its this, or on my budget I can buy a Rotary used when one pops up. To be honest, I am afraid of buying a used lift and having to spend the money I "saved" on repairs...

I cant seem to find much data on how to even tell how old a lift is either, so at least brand new seems appealing and a local dealer in Orlando to go to if it does have issues...

Now if the rest of this remodeling job would finish itself. lol

Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't the steel you have to worry about on a used lift but the seals and pump of the hydraulic system.

With an off shore unit everything is suspect as the pumps are generally undersized to start with and the design is always suspect as American made stuff is made with liability litigation in mind and if maintained will be safer. You can drop a car off of even an American made lift if you do not place the arms to hold the center of gravity close to the posts of the lift (usually centered about the dash in American cars).

Big Dave
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would hold out for the Rotary. we have them in the shop. i hate them but they are good lifts. my disdain for the Rotary lifts is primarily because of all the DIFFERENT vehicles i have to rack daily. some simply dont go on those lifts. unless you try to rack something like a Jeep CJ or a Miata you wont have any issues.

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there was no option to hold out for a Rotary, as good as the idea sounds.

So I looked into Prokar's models a little closer and found the 9k lift to be a bit less than what i was after. Pulleys and chains etc in them, not my bag. at all.

So I look into the 11k pound lift, and its a direct action setup- 2 cylinders connect directly to the carriages in a straight line and do the work. the arms also have the gear-type safeties that dont allow them to pivot once the lift is off the ground. Power units appear to be extremely straightforward- theres a feed line and a return line, like a big PS pump- so that doesnt too badly worry me.

I figure with this model, if ALL the hydraulics do indeed turn out to be awful, I can make changes pretty easily. VS wondering if the flat chains and sheeves and all that hoopla is going to wear well, and be available for service later...

This is the best compromise I could find between what i can have and what I would ideally love to have. I cant complain...

Now if it fit under my current roofline! Rolling Eyes

10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pay close attention to how the lift sounds normally after you get it installed. reason i say that is because one of our shop lifts sounded "different" one day. the second vehicle i lifted that day ended up falling onto its side from about 6' in the air as it was going up. turns out, one of the cylinders wasnt working and only one was doing all the work. this put a lot of stress on the cables and pulleys. when one of the pulleys broke, the locks on one side didnt catch and down came baby cradle and all.

Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MufflerBearings69 wrote:

This is the best compromise I could find between what i can have and what I would ideally love to have. I cant complain...

Now if it fit under my current roofline! Rolling Eyes

Most lifts require a 14 foot ceiling to operate. Also if it is a four post lift remember to close all the doors before you lift to keep from doing some hard to explain damage. Had to replace a door once and pay to have the car painted.

Big Dave
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one will tuck neatly under a 12 foot ceiling... I am going a hair higher as suggested...

Where I worked during Nissan school, one of the "techs" crushed several door edges with the lift... SO they stuck him on a speed rack, one with 2 long beds more or less vs. movable arms... So he manages to ruin not one but TWO side exhausts on that- both mustangs... crushed the side skirts and tips all into the rockers...

So long sotry short, definitely noted to watch how I lift. I wish I knew where to buy one of the books they had at Sears when I worked there that showed proper lift points for vehicles abut a little caution and common sense can work through that...

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
pay close attention to how the lift sounds normally after you get it installed. reason i say that is because one of our shop lifts sounded "different" one day. the second vehicle i lifted that day ended up falling onto its side from about 6' in the air as it was going up. turns out, one of the cylinders wasnt working and only one was doing all the work. this put a lot of stress on the cables and pulleys. when one of the pulleys broke, the locks on one side didnt catch and down came baby cradle and all.

This too is good advice. My question is this- did you hear the locks both clicking as it went up? I was told a few times by different people to listen for both locks when lifting to be sure things "couldnt" fall in case of a failure... BUT I dont first-hand know if thats true or wives-tale...

10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, locks were functioning and could be heard all the way up. problem is that 4500 lbs instantly dropping just sheared the ends of the lock teeth off on the way down. right side caught but the left did not. ALWAYS REST VEHICLE ON THE LOCKS.

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary that a lock sheared off!!!

And yes, hydraulics are for lifting, locks are for staying up... Like the whole jack and jackstand deal, just a lot higher up Very Happy

One side of the roof is cut for the dormer, tomorrow I am cutting the other side. Then to design and fab dormers and get em up there... Someday I will get to use this thing!

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on fluid for this thing- they suggest mercon III (which nobody sells as 3, now everyone is selling a "dex-merc": they say takes the place of everything below 5) or to use a ISO-32 hydraulic oil. I was going to use the dexron-mercon since its always readily available... Cant find anything to suggest one is better than the other though...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: