Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

well, its a start *updated w/ pics*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought i would give this thread a bump since ive actually started heading in the right direction. ive got more pics but dont have time to post them right now.

Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of power are you thinking about making with this setup using the Olds block? I did not think that the blocks were up to the task you might be planning for.

The fab work is top notch by the way looks great!

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi

Last edited by Paul P on Fri May 06, 2011 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job with the two plates. I made my first mount out of 3/4" aluminum plate thinking it would be o.k. - it wasn't. I had to add a brace from the top of the supercharger back to the rear of the intake to get everything locked down. Your design looks like it should be very solid which is the first ingredient for no belt problems. Clay
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:
What kind of power are you thinking about making with this setup using the Olds block? I did not think that the blocks were up to the task you might be planning for.

He is using a dx diesel block if im not mistaken

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squeeezer wrote:
Paul P wrote:

He is using a dx diesel block if im not mistaken

Yep and they are stout for an Olds.

Nice work Keith!!! You need any parts for the Vortec I know of a good hookup not to far from me.
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DX thumbsup I saw on of those built in a magazine car years ago it made tons of HP without any issues.
6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the block is a DX. MUCH thicker than just a plain 350 block. its about 420 CID (4.100 bore x 4.000 stroke).

theres going to be an additional 3/8 plate scabbed onto the front of the engine plate and i have spacers made to fill in the gaps. my only real concern is my "experimental" S/C pulley with a one way roller clutch in it. im not giving out any more details publicly just in case its a bad idea. dont want anyone trying to duplicate a bad idea. if anyone wants more details on the pulley, you can PM me.

Adam, i may need a ribbed pulley if my setup doesnt work Laughing . seriously though, what kind of Vortech stuff are you talking about ? internal parts or pulleys, brackets, etc. ?

af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:

Adam, i may need a ribbed pulley if my setup doesnt work Laughing . seriously though, what kind of Vortech stuff are you talking about ? internal parts or pulleys, brackets, etc. ?

Everything you need!
I have a customer with a 92 vette that wants to go there and even though they havent offered the brackets for over 10 years they still
will make them.

The Gilmer is the best setup! Very Happy
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody has a pulley with the one way bearing in it. I remember seeing it a few years back. Not sure who it was though. I'll search around and see if I can find it again. In my opinion anything to help keep the belt on is a good idea. Clay
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They use over run bearings in Sprags inside the tranny and on PTO safety hubs on agriculture tractors that do not have a dual clutch to uncouple the PTO.

Big Dave
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least one of the supercharger manufacturers make them. i recently saw an ad for a lower pulley with the one way clutch. i know it works, just not sure if how im doing it will hold up.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a cog belt for a little while when I was playing with a P600B. Seems like I was running something like a 2 3/4" blower pulley that didn't work too well with the 2 "V" belts I started with. The problem I had (that a sprag will solve) is playing around in the street. When you would get to playing and have to pedal the car to keep the drift going (because it was fun -still is) it would clean everything off the front of the motor. If you just layed in it everything was o.k. and if you just got out of it and stayed off the throttle everything was o.k. but one blip and all he!! broke loose. Another problem I had was I was also trying to keep the power steering pump on the car and put a cog pulley on it also. Problem is the bracket wasn't strong enough and it flexed and could have been some of my problem. Make your double plate system so you can shim the blower to put a little angle in it if you have to. Lining up the pulleys with a straightedge should be all that's needed but you may have to tilt the blower to get the belt to track exactly right - you never know and they don't have much tolerance for misalignment. I can't
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, were you running everything on the same cog belt ? did you ever try adding a support on the pulleys ? im in the process of making my upper pulley into an assembly with two 1/2" plates for support. im also going to make a support for the crank pulley. maybe overkill but it helps me sleep.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pulleys I had in the system were crank, power steering and the supercharger. Like I said, I'm sure the power steering pump brackets were flexing under load as they were on the "pull" side of the belt. I started with the fixed tensioner like Procharger used on their systems and changed when it cleaned everything off the first time. I switched to a spring loaded tensioner I made but I don't think it had near enough tension to deal with what was happening. During this second test though boost went to around 17 lbs since there was no longer any belt slippage. I didn't have a wide band (before they became anywhere near affordable), didn't have enough timing pulled out (did that again recently)and the pistons lasted about 2 seconds (collapsed all the ring lands under the top ring). When I let out of it, it cleaned all the belts off again and that ended my cog belt career as they were just too expensive and I was sucking at keeping them on and I had to fix an engine. I went to an 8 rib serpentine with a factory GM tensioner and had zero problems with the P600B or the F1 I recently ran. You are eliminating so many potential problem areas by making everything overkill heavy and braced in multiple areas. One style brace I remember seeing years ago that seemed pretty cool had a shaft coming out of the front of the crank pulley and the supercharger pulley. A link went between the two that had a bearing in each end and a method of adjustment for center - center length. This wouldn't allow the crank / supercharger to flex together or apart. Seems like it almost looked like heim joints on the ends - obviously not a heim, but something similar as well as I can remember. Clay
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a Kurgan brace.......

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/draggin50/427%20Windsor/IMG_1620.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: