Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Firewall Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a little more done on the hinges. Made a jig to cut the frame horns off. Boxed in the rail to keep junk from getting down inside the frame. Welded them in along with some fish plates to weld the horns back on.

I had a little ooops. I spun some bushing bungs on the lathe, welded them in & when I tested it the hinge came out of the rail. The pins were supposed to keep the hinge in the rail but there was just enough clearance for it to slip by.

So I made up these little clips to grab the pin a little better. Ended up making clips for both pins. That meant the linkage would no longer fit inside the rail, so I made some c-channel out of square tubing for the bottom. Holes are for junk & water drainage. I'll have to add one on the top too. At least the hinge locks in place solid now, in both open & closed positions.

Got a few more parts to make & they will be ready to weld back on. The 3/4'' pins are for alignment during welding, eventually they will be replaced with 3/4" nylon bushing stock & a 1/2" steel pin. Got some black corian® cut-offs from a counter top place. Cutting that on the CNC to fill in the gaps between the rails & the hinges, so there won't be any metal to metal contact. Nylon & corian® should allow the hinges to slide smooth.

I hope this deal goes a little better from here on out. Hate those glitches.
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile but I got some shop time in yesterday. Made shims for the front end hinges.

http://youtu.be/i91t1JwOGmU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Camaro All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: