Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Swap Cams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Swap Cams Reply with quote

What does everybody think about the swap cams. I just had LSM grind me a new cam and he said I should run a 4/7-2/3 swap. Steve is about the most knowledgeable cam grinder I know so I went with it (didn't cost me anything extra) I have been hearing stories that they make more power and/or run smoother,and some people say they are not worth anything.

I've go one now, just looking to hear some opinions.

Cheers
Corey

af2

66667.72 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the wires are marked!!!! When thrashing in the Pitts. Laughing Laughing

I feel the LSx firing has to be good.

I see harmonics playing part.

As far as HP? I can't and won't believe Hot Rod or any one until I witness it.

Just my $.02 Very Happy
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Swap Cams Reply with quote

I am of the opinion that it will help harmonics but not the power as well.
As far as the plug wires, you must know me, if anybody is going to forget its going to be me. Embarassed

Corey

af2

66667.72 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Cams Reply with quote

Blown65 wrote:
I am of the opinion that it will help harmonics but not the power as well.
As far as the plug wires, you must know me, if anybody is going to forget its going to be me. Embarassed

Corey

You forget I help my Uncle as little as possible because of the tension that makes it not fun.
He runs AA/S with the 6/71
Last time I helped was in Washington 3 years ago and won't go there again. I actually left the distributor cap unscrewed the 3rd run and it pissed me off because I don't do that.( yes I found it and apologized) then berated! finger The whole weekend was that way. Had to weld the tank from tire shake on the 1st run.
Way too much B/S going on. Evil or Very Mad
Big Dave

116304.58 points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM went to it with their new LS-x motors and all of the Pro Stock guys run it so there is something there, just not a lot.

Is it worth the expense yes, worth the hassel who knows.

Big Dave
clay

316402.25 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have heard it improves crank loading making it more even. As far as power is concerned, it seems to fall somewhat into the catagory of a exhaust crossover, it helps most of the time, but it never hurts so it's worth a try. I've never read or heard an explanation as to what is actually happening. My machinist suggested doing the 4-7 swap to me but after we talked back and forth for a while and my setup being a pressurized intake too he didn't think it would be very beneficial from a power perspective. I've never seen a swap cam vs. a convential on a positive pressure power adder setup, seems like the presurized intake should eliminate or reduce the gains it would give assuming it has something to do with rearranging the intake pulses for more effective cylinder filling on a N/A setup in the first place. Clay
gilletteracing

216.72 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to the whole forum thing, but here is my thoughts on the firing order swap. On a bbc with a single plane intake and a balancer there is an advantage, i have seen about 20 hp. There are 3 things you are trying to help out by going to the 4723 swap. The first is harmonics, with the std firing order you are firing 657 together on the back of the crank, with the swap you are firing 31 together on the the front of the crank closer to the balancer. Two, With the std firing order 57 are always lien i think because 657 are trying to steel the same air and fuel from the plenum, by the time 7 fires their isn't enough left in the plenum to support it. Three, on a bbc you have good and bad intake runners, It seems that the bad runners are not as efficient and need more fuel than the good runners. The std firing order fires 6 (bad runner) 5 (good runner) 7 (bad runner) so your #7 is not only getting robbed of air and fuel but it needs more air and fuel to operate than say 5. You change the firing order and fire 3 (bad runner) 1 (good runner). 3 is going to rob air and fuel from 1 but that is what you are going for because 3 is a bad runner and needs more anyway.

A good dyno/carb guy can work out some of this stuff and keep the std firing order but it seems easier to tune with the 4723. With the newer cnc heads there doesn't seem to be as many gains, i think the wet flow on the bad runners has been improved making them more efficient. A duel plane intake throws another hitch into the ball game but 7 is still lien. There is a lot of variables every engine is different, i haven't seen anything bad from the 4723 swap.

These are just my thoughts, im not an aero engineer, they may be wrong, but i think this is what is going on with the swap
FRITODAVE

5170.64 points

1969 Plymouth Barracuda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are going to hate me with this. The placement of the header pipes at the collectors can negate the increase in power in certain situations. People just seem to forget about the exhaust system. Laughing Also, chevy engines are not the only ones in pro stock.
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Swap Cams Reply with quote

I guess what I am getting from the input is that it really won't make much difference in the power level in a blown alcohol application. But in an NA situation maybe. I guess who ever first cam up with the swap idea found some power or they would have quit doing it. Very Happy

Corey

Skunkworkx

10318.16 points

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for changing the harmonics...I'm sure its still there just in a different phase...Also heard stories both ways (good/bad)
555nova

2155.50 points

1974 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a new cam from Bullet. When we talked about the 4/7 swap, they went into details about on a conventional headed BBC there is a 1-2hp loss over 6500rpm and a 1-2hp gain under that rpm.
On a big chief engine there is a 25 or so hp advantage. The main reason like many have said is the improved harmonics and decreases the load on the bearings, especially on a n20 motor.
Big Dave

116304.58 points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Cams Reply with quote

Blown65 wrote:
I guess what I am getting from the input is that it really won't make much difference in the power level in a blown alcohol application. But in an NA situation maybe. I guess who ever first cam up with the swap idea found some power or they would have quit doing it. Very Happy

Corey

A guy by the name of William Jenkins reportedly. Though I doubt if he was the very first to think of it. He also thought up the idea of strut front suspensions for tube frame cars instead of straight axels, and dry sump engines, and kick out oil pans, and a few other dodads. I believe he did some development work for GM's engineering department (engine research and development boys), but it was at a small company that went bankrupt last year called Chevrolet. Same company asked a professor to help them develope another engine for them (they must be pathetic engineers) It had Pontiac written all over this one so I guess we can let it slide (they called it a DRICE motor).

Big Dave

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: