Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Man need help motor gets hot now temp 210/220
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool, this I have to give more thought to it, only way is cutting a hole in the hood and maybe adding scoop on top. I will look in to it, I only have about 1/2" room on top of the air cleaner with hood close.
I had to cut a hole in the hood of my 84 mazda with mopar motor in it.

I was thinking at the back of the hood, I have about 40 3/8" hole drilled all ready in the scoop in front of the glass for the carb to pull in air from there.

[img[/img]

Last edited by jag327 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul P

81574.74 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think with a good drop base air cleaner would fit pretty well with that hood.

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Up date on engine cooling Reply with quote

Guy's thanks for you help. I went with a Lincoln Mark 8 fan.
This fan on low cools the motor down to 175 with the hood closed.

Up date on the car, new chambered sticks exhaust ran over the rear.

fan pics

[img[/img]

Paul P

81574.74 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me that the red wire I see is not holding the fans to the radiator. Dude get some real mounting brackets or make some that is weak... Rolling Eyes

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's 8 gauge copper wire in there. Just to hold it in place to make you sure the fan will cool the motor. Man this fan is very strong had to up grade my alternator to 130 amp.

[img[/img]

Here is a pic of the fan temp relay control I'm using. Going to run
a switch in side the car for the high speed side of the fan with another relay that will kick off the low speed relay when I need to turn on the high speed side of the fan if I ever needed.

Work find fan kicks in at 185 go's off at 175
[/img

10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:
Please tell me that the red wire I see is not holding the fans to the radiator. Dude get some real mounting brackets or make some that is weak... Rolling Eyes

yeah, thats certainly the wrong setup for a fan. everybody knows that 8 gauge copper wire is used for an East Texas trunk latch, not a fan Rolling Eyes Laughing

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
Paul P wrote:

yeah, thats certainly the wrong setup for a fan. everybody knows that 8 gauge copper wire is used for an East Texas trunk latch, not a fan Rolling Eyes Laughing

Big Grin
jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:
10sec.et wrote:
Paul P wrote:

Big Grin

The copper single 8 gauge is only holding the fan in place until I make the brackets for the fan.

The wire set up for the fan is right.... Laughing

This is the set up now the wiring relays and adjustable fan stat.
I'm using both the low speed and high speed settings in the fan.
the high speed cuts on by via switch in the car that when turns on buy the switch it kicks off the low speed relay why the high speed is running. But it looks like may never need the high speed fan on.

Low speed cools the motor down to 175 and cuts the fan off when that temperature is reach.

If I by pass the adjustable stat motor will cool down to 160 man these fans are the way to go.

pics of the hole set up before I install in the car. But now install works very good.

jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:
10sec.et wrote:
Paul P wrote:

Big Grin

The copper single 8 gauge is only holding the fan in place until I make the brackets for the fan.

The wire set up for the fan is right.... Laughing

the high speed cuts on by via switch in the car that when turns on buy the switch it kicks off the low speed relay why the high speed is running. But it looks like may never need the high speed fan on.

Low speed cools the motor down to 175 and cuts the fan off when that temperature is reach.

If I by pass the adjustable stat motor will cool down to 160 man these fans are the way to go.

pics of the hole set up before I install in the car. But now install works very good.

jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:
10sec.et wrote:
Paul P wrote:

Big Grin

The wire set up for the fan is right. Laughing

jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:
10sec.et wrote:
Paul P wrote:

Big Grin

jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img[/img]

jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: