Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

What I've been up to.......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really like that intercooler. I might have to pick one up myself in case the twin turbo gods visit my place

That's what I thought months ago. I found a listing for one back then and was going to wait until I needed it. Then everything crashed with the economy and the company I found on e-bay that carried it disappeared. It took looking off and on for a few months before I found another company that had one.
I didn't contact this company about compressor maps. I have called other companies off of e-bay and about all they knew is they had a turbo, but nothing really about it. I'm going to try to find out who they copied. It's not Garrett, although they have one that's close. By the way the correct measurements are 57mm x 75mm x 0.070 A/R cold side - 58mm x 74mm - 0.068 A/R hot side. Maybe Turbonetics??? I'll see if they have a cataloge to look at. Clay

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally went for a test drive today. I'll have to say I'm hooked. The sound is beyond cool. I didn't go real far, maybe 10 miles total, but a lot of fun. I've got the wastegates at their lowest setting (should be around 8 lbs. or so), but power is still incredible. From 50 mph, it is a tire baker in high gear by 1/2 throttle. When you roll into the throttle, it sounds like a big cubic inch motor until the turbo's spool an then it screams. Let off then comes the big blow off sound. I'm telling you it makes my sticker peck out. I'll try to get some in car video in a week or so. I have some things to take care of first. It did blow a header gasket on the test drive but I just reused the ones that were on the Hooker headers and they already had a good imprint in them so maybe that's the problem. Second is the wastegates leaking. Not that I think it's losing power, but since I have them dumping in the fenderwells, you can hear them and it doesn't sound good. I put some Dykem on the seats and they are out of round so hopefully lapping them in should solve that. I'll get some video on here soon I hope. Later, Clay
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. At what rpm are you making boost? What rpm is full boost? How does it compare to the supercharger power wise?

I challenge you to push yourself.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool . did you have to make any changes to the carb ?

pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a cool project Clay. Great job. Very interesting.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At what rpm are you making boost? What rpm is full boost?

I have to put the Innovate back on it some time this week hopefully and I can answer all of those questions. Right now, power is similar to the Procharger with the Powerstroke intercooler which was a restriction. Maybe a touch more, but very close. According to your calculator it should be around the high 700 - low 800 h.p. range with the current wastegate setting.
Quote:
did you have to make any changes to the carb ?

Absolutely zero changes so far. I could probably take some of the pump shot out of the primary if I wanted to. I'll know more when I get the Innovate back on. I'll let everybody know if I have to change anything.
Quote:
This is a cool project Clay. Great job. Very interesting.

Thanks, I can't wait until you get back on that monster you started. Clay

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some logs I took today. So far, I have had to lean the carb out at idle a good bit - about 1/2 turn in on all 4 screws. It wasn't fat at idle with the Procharger, but it still moved a good bit of air at idle whereas the turbos don't , so I'm guessing that's where the difference is. It looks like it is trying to go rich as the rpm's climb and I'll wait to work on that after some track data - can't really stretch it out in the highway - even in the sticks. I'm guessing that is from the fact that boost is flat since it is controlled with a wastegate and it no longer climbs with rpm. Maybe some small changes, but it looks like nothing major.
First log is just rolling into the throttle.

This log I stabbed the throttle. Looks like pump shot may need some leaning out also.

I played with launching a little and I think it's going to take some practice. Trying to footbrake, I can get it up to around 2500 and you can kinda sorta feel a little spool trying to happen, but it's really hard to hold it on that edge. Looks like some transbrake launches are in my future. Blue line is boost, pink is AFR, and black is rpm. Rpm peaks around 6000, boost reaches it's peak around 5000 - 5500. Later, Clay

Mr.T

622.70 points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay,
A GI donated a turbo kit to us and we put it on our drag car. It ran great but it sounded like a big vacuum cleaner and was a total flop interest wise. It sat around as a hanger queen for several years until I was able to trade it off for a 400 smbk.
Our supply sgt., through some creative ordering, came up with a 871 B&M blower kit. What an attention grabber! Never did finish a season with out a blow up or two. I realized I didn't have the ability to sort it out and we went back to carb or carbs.
Mr.T
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to read the graphs, I see the Y-axis is boost, what is the X-axis, time? Can you plot boost vs rpm?

Quote:
I'm guessing that is from the fact that boost is flat since it is controlled with a wastegate and it no longer climbs with rpm.
The beauty of turbos, the boost is not relative to rpms like a supercharger and can be fully in earlier. In your comments you say full boost is in by 5000 rpm, is that right? It looks like it comes in pretty early and stays put (no boost creep which is good).

I challenge you to push yourself.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, X-axis is time in seconds. I will have some better logs after I get a track pass. Right now, all I can do is in high gear for a few seconds. I start around 50 - 60 mph and the converter lets it pretty much go to 5000 or so as soon as it starts making power and after a few seconds I'm really going faster than I should be which is why the logs are so short and in a really narrow rpm range. I can only put one scale on the Y-axis at a time so I'll have to put the same log on twice with different scales for each. We plan on going to the track on Nov. 7th and I hope to have some good data then. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: