Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

What I've been up to.......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think Clay is going to "spill the beans" until the car goes down the track. i think its more of an experimental thing at this point.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secret Well, that isn't totally the reason, I've been really busy trying to pack all this crap under the hood. That pesky thing called work keeps getting in the way. I'll post some more pics and details this weekend. Clay
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Clay, NICE man!!!

Back purge the stainless with argon and you will be a happy camper welding it. The way it looks now(good) you will love the purge!! Very Happy

explain this "back purge with argon" to someone who only welds mild steele, since argon is the inert gas used with mig

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squeeezer wrote:
af2 wrote:
Clay, NICE man!!!

Back purge the stainless with argon and you will be a happy camper welding it. The way it looks now(good) you will love the purge!! Very Happy

explain this "back purge with argon" to someone who only welds mild steele, since argon is the inert gas used with mig

Only on stainless and aluminum. I never got a picture but with duct tape and an extra bottle/flow meter it works at 5 or less cf per min.
We used the filler hole for the back purge..
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought this was a neat idea, i gotta make one......... http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173990

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some metals, especially stainless get contaminated easily when welding. The back side of a stainless weld (if it gets hot enough) does what they call "sugar". It will look like sugar crystals on the back side. If you get rid of all the oxygen with argon, the back side will look just like the weld on the front. I didn't do it on the headers for a few reasons, but I'll definately say it makes a much nicer weld. I haven't really seen aluminum do much so I don't really know what it looks like. I'll try to do a quick weld this week at work to show what it looks like on stainless. Clay
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The turbo's are Chyeenus brand. I got them off of ebay and they really do look good as far as casting quality, machining quality, etc. They are similar in specs to a Garrett GT3076. Advertized to support around 500 h.p. each, but I'll see. Cold side specs are 57mm inducer, 73mm exducer, 0.70 A/R. I can't remember the hot side diameters other than it is a 0.68 A/R. I have to pull them back off some time this week, so I'll take measurements then. I FINALLY got to crank it yesterday. Sounds like I might have a small header gasket leak somewhere. There is a slight amount of leakage around the wastegate seats, no big deal. I absolutely have an oil drainback issue. After it ran about a minute or so, it started pouring oil out of the exhaust. I thought the lines were sort of on the small side, but I had them laying around so I gave them a shot. I'm going to probably put 1/2" lines for drains now. Here are some more pics. Clay
This is starting to do the intercooler to bonnet piping. Tubing is actually irrigation pipe I got a deal on and have used a lot in the past, way cheaper than buying actual tubing.

Turbo to intercooler piping. I made the bends by cutting angled segments and welding them together. This way I can get any radius I want and can just use plain 2" aluminum pipe.

This side was really aggravating. I had to not only angle the air cleaner but I had to move the radiator over toward the passenger side about 1" to get the radiator nipple / hose to clear the air cleaner.

Finally everything is at least there. It was a lot of work trying to pack everything in there and I think it turned out looking pretty good. Now to get the bugs worked out a get this thing to the track.

240Z8

43.23 points

1972 Datsun 240Z

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great Clay! One of my favorite Z cars/ turbo gurus runs a log because of simplicity. Power is never a problem, after all, there's only so much power a street car can usually put down.
I'm looking forward to following your build.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work. How much boost are you planning to run?

I challenge you to push yourself.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get around the 20 lb. range. The Procharger setup ran about 12 - 14 after the intercooler and I showed about an 8 lb. drop across it. I never got around to datalogging to see what it actually made without it but I'm guessing around the low 20 range. I am actually banking on a turbocharger setup being a little more efficient so I can get away with running less boost and be a little easier on the engine and still get what I want out of it. Clay
Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you wont be losing the power it took to turn the blower (which is a lot), and the twins should be small enough to spool quickly, hence the beauty of twins versus one large turbo, yet still deliver mega boost because there are Two of them. I have wanted to do your build for ever, and I cant believe how fast you got it together. It looks really good, and should be an insane street car. How much would a turbo, carb and blow off valves cost roughly? What is your compression ratio?
Squeezer. When do I get my points??
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:

i just noticed you are using the mechanical water pump and fan Cool .

robins44

18797.16 points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats friggin awesome, and it didnt take you long at all. Looks good, i cant wait to see some video. Shocked
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How much would a turbo, carb and blow off valves cost roughly? What is your compression ratio?

These turbo's off of e-bay run around $320 each. Here is a link to a company I have ordered from.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUPER-T4-AR70-COLD-AR68-HOT-600HP-TURBO-CHARGER-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem23031777efQQitemZ150375725039QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Originally I had my carb modified by CSU in California. I have done several more mods to it so it has a little better fuel curve and better drivability. It cost about $400 to modify my carb. They changed boosters which I think is an excellent idea considering the fuel volume they have to deal with. Then they reassemble with all new parts. I modified it for screw in air bleeds, removed the choke horn and skimmed all gasket surfaces. This saved me about $100. In the beginning I called them with some questions and their customer support is outstanding. I highly recommend them. Kevin is who you need to talk to. I made my blow off but it looks like they are about $50 on e-bay. Intercooler was about $230, here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GODSPEED-TWIN-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-2-IN-1-OUT-corvette-g35_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a0167464bQQitemZ180412171851QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Compression ratio on this engine is 9.3 - 1. I do run a homemade water injection system and I highly recommend one of some sort. On the previous 383 which had 9.8 - 1 I ran as much as 15 - 16 lbs on the dyno with iron heads and 93 pump gas. Timing was 30* under boost.
Quote:
i just noticed you are using the mechanical water pump and fan

You like that huh Smile . I have tried electric fans in the past and I didn't really like them. My logic is I need airflow all the time with the air / air intercooler. Reason two is clearance - the mechanical fan / pump setup is shorter that the electric versions and a Nova is a short nosed little car. Simplicity is the last reason - it just doesn't get any simplier that that.
Thanks for the compliments guys. I think I've about got the oil drainback system figured out. The plan it to go for a spin Saturday - even if it was ready, it's going to be raining until then. Clay

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that intercooler. I might have to pick one up myself in case the twin turbo gods visit my place Wink .

Do you have the compressor map for those turbos? I didn't see it on their ebay listing.

I challenge you to push yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: