Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Turbo charging 454

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newt

235.66 points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Turbo charging 454 Reply with quote

I have a 1972 Chevelle. 454 very mild if any thing done (peanut heads) Edelbrock intake and carb.650 vac.400 turbo tranny, 373 rear gears.
I would like to install a single rear mounted turbo! Any Pro's or Con's .Has anyone done this ,what did you use and how did it work? I like to do things no one else does?
Dan Razz

seventy468

2674.60 points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be cool, with a "rear" mounted turbo I wonder if you could find a factory (diesel) up-pipes that would make it a little easier... or by "rear" did you mean installed in the back of the car, like the kits you can buy for the F bodied cars?
newt

235.66 points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Turbo 454 Reply with quote

Squires have a universal kit. Cheak out the web site. Remove the mufflers ,install turbo and re-pipe back to the carb!
Dan Razz

10sec.et

339038.58 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, i wouldnt waste a turbo on a rear mount system. IMO, you would be better off with a pair of flipped shorty headers and put a big single in the engine compartment where it belongs. if you want to go cheap (by cheap i mean $500), you could pick up a diesel turbo such as a Holset HT60 or a Garrett TV8101. with a properly built engine, both will put you in the 800+ HP range. of course, you WILL need fabricating skills.

newt

235.66 points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: 454 Turbo Reply with quote

Thanks for the flipped header idea.I think it will work, but I use the car daily and three or four times I will go to the track. I will think about it though. I have another question, what about the tranny shifting , under pressure? or do I manually shift ,under a lot of pressure?
Dan Razz

10sec.et

339038.58 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not a trans expert but if youre making boost, you want the trans built accordingly. my TH400 has a manual valve body and MUST be shifted manually. yes, i drive it on the street Wink .

newt

235.66 points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Turbo charging 454 Reply with quote

Thanks ,I will check into it before doing it. What I want is a little more for the street .I have done a little work with turbos on VW engines , but that was spin (a lot ) and go! I need to know about a good all around size turbo and the air return tubing size ? Stuff like that? Does anyone know where I can turn for some FREE
pro. help?

clay

316457.85 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep the 400 automatic, you will run into trouble with shifting. I don't know exactly at what point I had trouble but I'm guessing around the 10 lb. point. What happens (thanks to our converter / transmission guru Cameron) is the modulator builds enough pressure to shift the spool valve to the point it cuts off all fluid flow to the shift circuits. At this point it won't shift at all - manual or automatic. There are several ways to overcome this. One is to find an old diesel school bus with a Allison transmission. It has a mechanical modulator setup that will work on a 400 according to Cameron. B & M used to sell a device called a modulink that converts the vacuum system to a mechanical system similar to a TV cable on later model transmissions. I have a check valve that only allows vacuum to flow and checks when pressure is present. I drilled a small vacuum bleed hole on the transmission side that will let any residual vacuum to bleed off. The only problem with this is the small vacuum leak raises shift points. You might be able to adjust it out with an adjustable modulator or you may have to actully add weight to the govornor weights. Check with Transgo and see what they have available to handle a boost situation. I looked at the remote mount setup and it's more difficult than it sounds to get everything routed and tucked up and out of the way. Clay
10sec.et

339038.58 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my TCI TH400 is full manual and doesnt have a modulator valve. just a plug.

clay

316457.85 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I'm guessing it runs full line pressure all the time and it shouldn't be a problem. Clay
10sec.et

339038.58 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
In that case I'm guessing it runs full line pressure all the time and it shouldn't be a problem. Clay

so, just to satisfy my curiousity, would just a manual valve body be all thats needed or is there more to it ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: