Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

4L60E help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: 4L60E help Reply with quote

is it possible to get one of those to function properly without the PCM ? im fed up with my LT1 POS. the damn thing is setting weird ignition codes again. i want to toss the PCM and EFI and just go with a carb and HEI. i have no interest in screwing with this opti-junk any longer. i dont know whats wrong with it and, quite frankly, i dont care.

robins44

18797.16 points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya with a expensive trans controller, been down that road before trying to decide, seems like its just cheaper to just slap a 700r4 in her or a th350.
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my pops was looking at these people's stuff for the AODE to go into something "older and cooler" as he keeps saying (The cursed 95 GT is gone)

http://www.becontrols.com/products/products.htm

Seems pretty straightforward...

squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah its called a 700r4

as far as opti=msd might have the better set up
is your cap vented? im guessing yes

what codes ya gettin ?

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MufflerBearings69 wrote:
Well, my pops was looking at these people's stuff for the AODE to go into something "older and cooler" as he keeps saying (The cursed 95 GT is gone)

http://www.becontrols.com/products/products.htm

Seems pretty straightforward...

doesnt seem too terribly expensive. ill have to check into that setup.

squeeezer wrote:
yeah its called a 700r4

as far as opti=msd might have the better set up
is your cap vented? im guessing yes

what codes ya gettin ?

i have the Delteq system on it now www.delteq.com. the opti is just using the sensor now. my codes are P1351 and P1361. ive tried watching the pattern on the hi and lo res signals and they look good. with the delteq setup in the middle of everything, it just complicates things. could be something wrong with it. other than pulling the opti to see if the bearing was bad or any signs of damage internally, i havent really dedicated a whole lot of time chasing these codes. my Mitchell has a stupid long diagnostic procedure that always ends up "replace PCM" Rolling Eyes . im not even sure exactly what part of the ignition system the PCM monitors to set these codes. is it the hi & lo res from the opti, the EST circuit at the module, or the CKP signals ???? im just tired of screwing with this thing.

10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, removing the PCM is a no-go. thanks to recent laws, the state inspector is no longer allowed to substitute an ASM test instead of the OBD II. that means i couldnt get it inspected without a functioning, code free PCM. i also cant sell a vehicle that doesnt pass emissions. at least, not unless i practically give it away and state that it has problems. i have to either fix it or park it on the railroad tracks. i dug up some more info today so when i figure more out, ill start another thread.

Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does FAST or JET control the tranny, and if so is it as programable as a TCI dedicated TCU?

Big Dave
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i think its finally safe to update my diagnosis of this thing. i was getting ignition control circuit codes everytime it rained and sometimes just randomly. as stated above, i have the Delteq system on it. this system sorta plugs into the middle of the existing ignition modules and distributor and uses a signal converter (Delteq module) and a Cadillac Northstar ignition module. well, the problem was with the white wire from the PCM to the factory ICM. its only purpose is to control timing. with the Delteq system, this wire goes to the Delteq module, which has 1K ohm resistance through the module, and then to the Northstar module. i ended up cutting the wire off the two connectors at the Delteq module, soldering in a 1K ohm resistor, and going straight to the Northstar module. its been months with lots of wet weather driving and no more ignition control circuit codes (sorry i dont remember what they were).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: