Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Engine popping at high RPM.(5500-6400) Found the problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
af2

66667.72 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
clay wrote:
I can't see that making a difference with the problem you are talking about. Here is my logic. If you installed the trunion upside down on the rocker arm, the only difference is that the nut won't have a nice flat surface to bear against. Now this could definately cause some reliability problems, but as long as you set valve lash in the normal manner, total valve lift will be the same either way. Now don't get me wrong, if this fixes your problem, I'm happy for you, and I'll file that in my weird stuff that happens mental file. Let us know. Clay
with the trunion upside down, you would not have the flat surface for the rocker nut to sit on making the nut stand up higher than the others. if, upon noticing this one particular rocker nut is taller than all the others, one were to assume its simply not tight enough and crank it down like the rest, it would hold the exhaust valve open and cause the poping at higher rpm.

If were a hydro I would agree and have to look into it further before I fired it. But being a solid roller How could that happen? Idea
10sec.et

338891.48 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
10sec.et wrote:
clay wrote:
I can't see that making a difference with the problem you are talking about. Here is my logic. If you installed the trunion upside down on the rocker arm, the only difference is that the nut won't have a nice flat surface to bear against. Now this could definately cause some reliability problems, but as long as you set valve lash in the normal manner, total valve lift will be the same either way. Now don't get me wrong, if this fixes your problem, I'm happy for you, and I'll file that in my weird stuff that happens mental file. Let us know. Clay
with the trunion upside down, you would not have the flat surface for the rocker nut to sit on making the nut stand up higher than the others. if, upon noticing this one particular rocker nut is taller than all the others, one were to assume its simply not tight enough and crank it down like the rest, it would hold the exhaust valve open and cause the poping at higher rpm.

If were a hydro I would agree and have to look into it further before I fired it. But being a solid roller How could that happen? Idea
didnt catch that "solid roller" part.

af2

66667.72 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to beat a dead horse: 4 years ago, my first pass in the Willys I saw # 3 Polly Lock was higher than the rest even with the stud girdle.

Take the girdle off and find the stud pulled from the head!!!!

That is the first sign on something going wrong.
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Valve Reply with quote

I did that once in the pits. We were checking the valve lash between rounds. I was on one side and a crew guy on the other. I didn't notice but I got one of the rockets a liitle cocked (Jesel). Lashed was ok ( thought). Pulled to the staging lanes and lit the engine, a flame about 10 feet came out of the one of the header pipes (zoomie) and just about torched one of my crew guys. He turned and was lucky it only singed the back of his head a little.
Turned out on of the exhaust valves was hanging open (never closing).
Seem funny now but scared the $**t out of us.

Just going to damn fast

Corey

lun40119

4738.92 points

1967 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got a little mark on one pair of my T&D's from the same thing, didn't have the pushrod in the cup all the way. That is pretty easy to do. Embarassed

I caught it before I started it though. Very Happy

Drag Week 2012 1st Place SB/NA
Drag Week 2011 2nd Place SB/NA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skLbhe2CBAU
Knarley Darley

538273.40 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say a lot of good points have been made here. I ran a similar set up years ago, and first off you probably have your installed height at 1.900 to 2.0". As was stated 250 pounds on the seat would be minimum pressure I would say with a triple spring, and this thing is going to be a spring killer. I was only getting 10-15 passes per set, and having to check them every round, and shim and replace often. It is usually one of the inner springs that break, and they are hard if not impossible to see, but show up very obviously with a on the rocker spring checker. (Moroso makes them for 60-80 bucks) I put a Crane gold rocker on with the center up side down once on the dyno, and it broke the shaft, or trunion, or whatever you want to call it, and the motor had a definite miss. I would take the rocker in question off and look close to see if it has a hair line crack right through the stud hole on both sides. It may be hard to see with oil on it so look close. The rocker will massively deflect if the shaft is broken and tear up the bearings. Also make sure it didnt start eating the push rod at the guide plate. The other thing to check is the valve retainer is not or did not hit the top of the guide. Good luck
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Valves Reply with quote

I know this is off topic for this thread but Lun40119, how did you like the T&D rockers? I'm thinking of switching to them, my Jesel setup is getting really old and replacing it will be a lot more money than the T&D's.

Corey

Knarley Darley

538273.40 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Corey. I have 2 sets of heads, and when I set up the new heads I used T&D with all the features including spring oilers. I think the T&Ds are better, more heavy duty, and more reliable, plus the price was way cheaper, and I sent them my heads so the stand hight and angles were correct because they custom made them in house to match my valve length. Their service was good and the work was high quality. The heads are Dart Pontiacs on a BB Chevy. Another nice feature with T&D is they are oiled through the bearings with the engine oil, and Jesel are sealed and packed with grease. With the spring oil feature I am getting 70 or so runs on a set now on a 9000+ rpm engine. My spring installed height is 2.150 to 2.200 and I run the comp 948s with 350 on the seats.
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: T&D Reply with quote

I like the spring oiler feature, I'm going to need all the help I can get keeping springs in the new engine. I think I'm going with the T&D stuff.

Thanks
Corey

Knarley Darley

538273.40 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing I did is make tie bars out of flat stock and welded all the stands together which makes them much less likely to pull the bolt out of the head that hold the stands down. Kind of like a stud girdle under the rockers.
lun40119

4738.92 points

1967 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey, I apologize for not being around to answer your question. I have the T&D's, and mine have the oilers. But to be honest with you the reason that I bought the T&D's was for the most part the customer service that you get with the product. The guys at Jesel kind of came off like jerks, but Sheldon at T&D was really helpful, and when it came to getting the correct stands to work with my +.200 valves.

I have a buddy with with Jesel sportsman rockers on an LT1, and they seem to be really nice but I don't know much about them. But, I am sold on the T&D's. I will by the T&D's for my wife's 383 this winter. Talk to you later...........I am Jake by the way.

Drag Week 2012 1st Place SB/NA
Drag Week 2011 2nd Place SB/NA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skLbhe2CBAU
Ballaholic29414

2595.20 points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem Solved....... I checked my spark plug wires and the number 2 cylinder wire read nothing on the volt meter and the wire from my MSD coil to my distributor didnt read anything on the volt meter either. I put new wires on the car and it sounds alot better. The spark plug wires were Arcing...
af2

66667.72 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballaholic29414 wrote:
Problem Solved....... I checked my spark plug wires and the number 2 cylinder wire read nothing on the volt meter and the wire from my MSD coil to my distributor didnt read anything on the volt meter either. I put new wires on the car and it sounds alot better. The spark plug wires were Arcing...

Man, We sold you springs, rockers, carbs, and everyting else to diagnose the first thing you should have checked in the first place!

I am just messin with you but WTH? Laughing
Ballaholic29414

2595.20 points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, yea but for some reason I didnt think the wires would go bad so fast. They only had about 40 psses in 1.5 years.
clay

316402.25 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found it! Plug wires are a cheap and easy fix. Maybe you can find some e.t. too! Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: