Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Vintage Speed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hudsonator

354.28 points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Vintage Speed Reply with quote

Just saying hello and introducing myself. I realize I'm atypical for this site, but I'm here nonetheless. In the pursuit of knowledge, sometimes genres cross over. I guess I'm in that situation.

I'm in Tennessee and run vintage engines. The hp game is all relative to what you're interested in, I'm into old flathead inlines. Hudsons in particular.

I registered for the features associated with this website: auto math, dyno locator, lots of good things going on here. I also need some information on blow through supercharging and will spend some time cruising the tech articles, threads, etc. Believe it or not - McCulloch was blowing through in the early 50's - which is exactly what I intend to do to my driver Hudson.

If you have a vintage issue, or just want to discuss why the hell I like vintage stuff - I'll be happy to talk your ear off. I'll eventually get around to applying modern tech to one of these old boat anchors to see just how much power they can make. You'd be kinda surprized.

I do spend alot of time on old AFB carbs, several of the lesser known 1 barrels in multiples, and do tune with a digital A/F meter. So, we're bringing the old tech up to snuff.

Glad to be here,
Hud

squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Cheers

$10 says you are tired of the term ......"rat rod"?

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site. I have a book on supercharging that covers a lot of the older stuff and it is really interesting reading. Sometimes technology is a wonderful thing, but looking back, it is really amazing at what was accomplished. I do run a blow through Holley setup and will be happy to help wherever I can. Clay
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site Doc

Didn't i see you staring in Cars?

Big Dave
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
Welcome to the site Doc

Didn't i see you staring in Cars?

Big Dave

we have a celebrity!!!!

welcome to SMOKEmUP Cheers

Hudsonator

354.28 points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the welcomes very much.

I do get kinda tired of the term "rat rod".

The older stuff hooked me after becoming exposed to it. the more I deal with it, the more amazed I am.

Clay, I may just take you up on your offer. I'm going to try to stuff the McCulloch down a vintage AFB. Its about 390 cfm, began life as a 1-7/16" bore and 1-3/16" venturi on all four barrels. I hybridized its secondaries with larger boosters from a later 500 cfm 3856s carb off a 383 Mopar. I seriously doubt I can run over 4 psi boost with the McCulloch on hand, the variable sheave drive is something we want to keep. I haven't even tried to install the blower yet, we want an accurate baseline tune on the engine before we go on with plans.

The car is a bona fide "Transporter" of illegal, untaxed whiskey from my home territory along the TN/Ky state line. I found it in a tobacco barn where it had been hidden since '67. It worked its job from '49 till '67. It still has service station stickers in its door from the '50s that look new. I have a hard time deciding on its restoration - alot of history there that fires my own imagination every time I lay hands on the wheel. A far cry from "Doc", we call it "Ol Lightning".

The engine, the Edelbrock has been replaced with the older '58 AFB

Mock-up of the McCulloch on another engine. Adapted Kaiser brackets etc.

Once again, thanks for the welcomes. We're all about more power - whatever vehicle we love.

squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can ya get e85 around your area????
im sure you can make it yourself Wink
what kind of farmer are ya????

i was just thinking it would be cool or "vintage" to run that thing on moonshine

354.28 points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squeeezer wrote:
can ya get e85 around your area????
im sure you can make it yourself Wink
what kind of farmer are ya????

i was just thinking it would be cool or "vintage" to run that thing on moonshine

The thought has been on my mind. Alot. Uhh, yeah - I do know the recipe. Its ALOT of work on a scale I'm just not set up to do, yet.

I am a former small tobacco farmer, now we raise broiler chickens, and we raise certified organic ol' timey grain crops. We run mostly gas burning tractors from the '50s in the grain crops. Fuel alcohol has a place here, I just need to work it in.

I guess I'm saying, its on the list - but its a Long List!

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't happen to be into restoring those old tractors too would you? I have a friend who is into that - mostly does the old collector Fords. He has some really neat stuff. Clay
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's kind of funny in a way. Now the revenuers will pay you to make squeezins with no tax on your shine so long as you put poison in the alky haul (denature it) with what they provide you. You can sell your surplus and get further tax credits for biomass alternative fuel. And the best part is it's on the honor system so they do not require you to account for every pint of alcohol you produce (within reason of course as they are still a suspicious lot).

I have a 1947 model 'M' that I rebuilt (wouldn't call it a restore). The guy who sold it to me had painted it blue and told me it was an old Ford tractor.

Big Dave
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats some really neat stuff- I will be excited to just read along and see what you decide to do with it....

My car doesnt follow the beaten path too much either- not nearly as cool as a Hudson, just a run of the mill full size ford car from the late 60s- but its all about building what you love Very Happy

Welcome!

Hudsonator

354.28 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
You wouldn't happen to be into restoring those old tractors too would you? I have a friend who is into that - mostly does the old collector Fords. He has some really neat stuff. Clay

Actually, a serious brush with Johnny Law persuaded me I needed to back off hot rodding and illicit activities with cars. So, thanks to my Dad, I became diverted into antique tractor pulling. The challenge of building engines with no aftermarket support appealed to me. Of course, things have changed now and you can buy stuff "off the shelf" just like hot rodding your favorite small block. But, at the time I needed a diversion, it was a good one. We both restored and pulled antique tractors from the mid 80's until 2000. Dad still runs a 292 chevy 6 powered WD Allis in the "Outlaw" classes. I just wrench and tune these days.

I'm an Allis-Chalmers man, to the bone. That's what we use on the farm as well. We restored them to usable condition. making sure all the mechanics were up to the original job. Very tough tractors who do their job very well.

I've kinda come full circle at the age of 41. I'm back to cars, albeit different cars than my youth. This time I'm guilty of diverting my Dad. He's become just as obsessed with the Hudsons as I am, they kinda take him back to his own youth.

Hudsonator

354.28 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
Actually it's kind of funny in a way. Now the revenuers will pay you to make squeezins with no tax on your shine so long as you put poison in the alky haul (denature it) with what they provide you. You can sell your surplus and get further tax credits for biomass alternative fuel. And the best part is it's on the honor system so they do not require you to account for every pint of alcohol you produce (within reason of course as they are still a suspicious lot).

I have a 1947 model 'M' that I rebuilt (wouldn't call it a restore). The guy who sold it to me had painted it blue and told me it was an old Ford tractor.

Big Dave

M's are brutal. Very good and tough old tractors.

If what you say about "fuel" is true - I need to give that idea a second look. For numerous reasons, if you get my drift? We may have to ditch the cars for a little while and learn how to TIG weld copper - uh stainless, yeah stainless. I really don't have a handle on what the yeild per bushel of corn would be at 90% ABV. I have alot to work out to know how feasible it would be. Maybe run my lawn mower off it for a while? I have to make in small batches at present. I'm talking too much.

I do think about it alot. Too many irons in the fire, and not enough fire.

Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't forget you have to open up the fuel passges in the carb 40% to account for the added volume of fuel you are going to burn to get the same (or slightly more) horsepower you get out of straight ethyl. (bigger fuel lines, pump etc.)

Big Dave
sourshop

2487.18 points

1964 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the gang HUD!
Oh HAIL yeah. Now this is the stuff I'm talking 'bout! I'll be peeking in to read all the old school...hmm...really old school, home brew horse power info.
I'm a true do it yerself junky.
Yesterday I bartered a powerglide I'm building for a fellow racer. I rec'd a TH400, a '72 Galaxy 500 (9") rear end and a BB454.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> New Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: