Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

What could cause this? Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ballaholic29414

2595.20 points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: What could cause this? Update Reply with quote

Small amounts of oil blowing from the back of the intake behind the distributor. It was doing that before I changed the head gasket and still after I changed the head gasket. It doesnt leak on the ground it just sits on the block when the tranny and block connect. It was also coming up the distributor but we put silicon around the gasket and that stopped it. I packed some more silicon around the back of the intake before I went to the track last week and that slowed the leak down, but what could be causing this?
I do have a Crankcase Evacuation Kit.

It only does this at high rpm because I only see it after I make a pass.

Last edited by Ballaholic29414 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
af2

66491.04 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use the supplied front and rear gaskets on any Chevy intake. A thick bead of silicone works every time. If you have a leak you know it wasn't thick enough. 1/4" bead works. Wipe off the excess and they will think you own an Olds! Shocked Laughing
Ballaholic29414

2595.20 points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
I never use the supplied front and rear gaskets on any Chevy intake. A thick bead of silicone works every time. If you have a leak you know it wasn't thick enough. 1/4" bead works. Wipe off the excess and they will think you own an Olds! Shocked Laughing

I used a thick bead of silicon. Could restrictive mufflers also cause this problem?

I called the guy I bought the motor from and he said he didnt have any problems with oil blowing out from the intake. (I bought this motor turnkey with distributor installed. The only thing that I can think of right now is maybe my Moroso spiral flow mufflers are too retrictive.
This motor has 750 to 800hp.

clay

316036.41 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you're talking about a header style evacuation kit. I don't know how well those work with mufflers. You could do a quick test by installing a "T" in the header evacuation line and see if you pull vacuum or build pressure while going down track. Only other thing that should affect crankcase pressure is the valve cover arrangement but it sounds like those didn't change. You might just be lucky like me and there is nothing wrong, it just decided to start leaking right after you bought it. Try the vacuum gauge though - it might show something. Clay
lun40119

4738.92 points

1967 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a header evac setup with a 2.5" flowmaster exhaust, and it spit the dipstick tube out. Pulled the hoses off, and put in a regular breather, and all was well. I wouldn't use those with mufflers. Good call Clay. I still have the headers with the bungs welded in them, if anyone wants them Laughing

Drag Week 2012 1st Place SB/NA
Drag Week 2011 2nd Place SB/NA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skLbhe2CBAU
10sec.et

338660.80 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Wipe off the excess and they will think you own an Olds! Shocked Laughing

Laughing thats funny, i actually DO wipe off all the silicone that squeezes out so it doesnt look like a bunch of boogers hanging out.

the crankcase evac aint gonna work with mufflers. is this a street/strip car or track only ? if its street/strip, a PCV valve does wonders.

Ballaholic29414

2595.20 points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
af2 wrote:
Wipe off the excess and they will think you own an Olds! Shocked Laughing

Laughing thats funny, i actually DO wipe off all the silicone that squeezes out so it doesnt look like a bunch of boogers hanging out.

the crankcase evac aint gonna work with mufflers. is this a street/strip car or track only ? if its street/strip, a PCV valve does wonders.

Its a race car.

Knarley Darley

538273.40 points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the mufflers are to small and that is where your E.T. went. You can do a quick test of your evac system by pulling the hose off at the valve cover, put your finger over the end of the hose and rev the engine. You can feel if it has pressure or vacuum. If it has pressure then for sure the mufflers are causing back pressure and are too small in diameter.
Ballaholic29414

2595.20 points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
I think the mufflers are to small and that is where your E.T. went. You can do a quick test of your evac system by pulling the hose off at the valve cover, put your finger over the end of the hose and rev the engine. You can feel if it has pressure or vacuum. If it has pressure then for sure the mufflers are causing back pressure and are too small in diameter.

Im gonna order new collectors tomorrow with the bong on it. You know I tried to see if it has pressure or vacuum and I felt vacuum, but it didnt seem like it was enough to get any kind of performance gain and was like wtf.

Ballaholic29414

2595.20 points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the mufflers off and the leaking stopped
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: