Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

newbie needing help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Mopar - Small Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravo2aviation

209.20 points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: newbie needing help Reply with quote

I have a 2001 ram truck just sitting around and have decided to build it up for drag racing. My last toy was a 77 camaro with a 406, have never been around mopar at all. My friends all run S-10's with 355 rollers, getting in the neighborhood of 8.80's in 1000 ft. I would like to equal the or better the power of the 355 rollers with a mopar. What combo should I use? I also would like to try my hand at building the engine spray ready. Any info on that is appreciated
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to SMOKEmUP Cheers

i dont know jack about Mopars but there IS enough knowledge here to help out. the most important question is how fast do you want to spend money ? are you using a factory block and heads ? what about the rest of the drivetrain and suspension ? all the power in the world wont do you any good if you cant get it to the ground.

bravo2aviation

209.20 points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, well right now, it's just a stock pickup. Would like to four-link, 4.11 spool and 10" slicks. Maybe a 727 trans, don't know much about them. GM has always been my game. Hopefully I can save? a little cash on the engine build, but make it withstand a 200 shot to make up for it. Really want aluminum heads, long rods, "skinny" pistons, and all roller. 406 camaro did 9.30 in 1000ft with a 125 shot, but it didn't last long at all. I'm wanting to learn from guys in the know so maybe I can get some degree of reliability too. Just plan on running on play days and test-n-tune. No money running for me.
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What engine are you talking about? Is it a 360? If I'm not mistaken the 318/340/360 came with 6.123" rods and 18* heads from the factory. Even with the 18* valve angle, the heads still didn't flow very well in stock form. All the general performance parts work the same as the chevy, they just cost a little more.
bravo2aviation

209.20 points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of using a 360 to start with, do some boring, maybe .030. would like to go about 12.5:1, set it up to handle a 200 shot. maybe a 1050 cfm? just don't know the best engine to start with for strength and durability. One of my 355 buddies has been running his engine for 12 years, spraying it for seven
coppergmc

5857.30 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only worked on a few 360 blocks. They were from the ealy 70s. About the same with the heads. I think they were the J or X heads from way back. They are seemed tough to port. I think that the castings were very hard. Some machine shop had installed bigger valves and didn't do any bowl cleanup. All they did was grind a 1.88 valve seat to take a 2.02 and left a monster seat. Pocket porting was worth about 3 tenths in the 8th mile. The new springs and valve job didn't hurt.

You'll have to ask somebody with a little more experience with the 360s to help you out some. I don't know squat about the roller blocks and the heads that go with them. You could get a book to help you some. Try something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Small-Block-Mopar-Engines-Present-273-318-340-360/dp/0895864797
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Mopar - Small Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: