Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

more of a personal dilemma

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainman8874

529.16 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: more of a personal dilemma Reply with quote

Ok......here's a question for all the 2nd gen fans in the house. Currently my 79 camaro has a 250 6 cyl. In it. I am in the process of building a SCREAMING 283 for it. However, when I look at production numbers on the car I found that of the nearly 235,000 of these cars made only 38,000 thousand or so were made with a six cyl. It makes me wonder if I am going to devalue the car drastically. Any thoughts?
lun40119

4740.92 points

1967 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep the engine and trans, and if you want to put it back you can..........problem solved Very Happy

Drag Week 2012 1st Place SB/NA
Drag Week 2011 2nd Place SB/NA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skLbhe2CBAU
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see that sales pitch!!! Laughing

You can have a 250" 6 (only 38,000 were made) or a time not correct 406 that halls the mail.

You said 283" sorry. I take that haul the mail back. Embarassed Embarassed

Boy!! That should get Sourshop going!!! Laughing Laughing

Word for the wise: If you don't spin a 283" say 9000 rpm you will have a ???? Not going to make the ###

And I am screwin with you! Very Happy
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think there would be a big demand for an all original 6 cylinder Camaro. However, I've been wrong many times before, I agree with lun40119, there shouldn't be anything you have to modify to an extent it can't be easily reversed if you need to. Should be a pretty much bolt in engine swap. Frame mounts might have to be changed, but hopefully they bolt in. That's about the only thing I can think that might suck is if they're welded in. Clay
240Z8

43.23 points

1972 Datsun 240Z

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the 283 for nostalgic purposes, then go for it.
Its hard to brag about a nostalgic powerplant when the guy with a cheap-o stroker just cleaned your clock.
IMO The only value I can see in a 283 is in a collectable car that came with that powerplant originally.
If you want a fast car with a small block, then stay to the tried and true, easy to find parts, bigger cube, 377, 383, 406.
At least in today's market, I'd think a cloned V8 Camaro will be worth more than any original 6.

10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: more of a personal dilemma Reply with quote

rainman8874 wrote:
Ok......here's a question for all the 2nd gen fans in the house. Currently my 79 camaro has a 250 6 cyl. In it. I am in the process of building a SCREAMING 283 for it. However, when I look at production numbers on the car I found that of the nearly 235,000 of these cars made only 38,000 thousand or so were made with a six cyl. It makes me wonder if I am going to devalue the car drastically. Any thoughts?

is it a numbers matching car in MINT condition that will be restored to showroom quality condition with ALL the correct GM parts ? if the answer is no, then build it into whatever makes you happy. IMO too many people get hung up on that whole "original" thing because it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy.

Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was assuming he was building a 383. The motor mounts are the same with the six and the V-8 you just have to move the location of were they bolt to the sub frame (all holes exist already).

There is next to not too much demand for a late model six (uni-head design) as you can not port it, or bolt on a spifft aftermarket four barrel carb manifold (log style intake manifold is cast into the head). If the short block is still running you might be able to sell it on e-Bay or Craigs List to a neighbor in need of one for their Nova or Camaro who also just happens own a pick-up truck, but odds are slight.

Big Dave
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v-6 car+v8 powerplant= still cheap insurance unibrow

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The motor mounts are the same with the six and the V-8 you just have to move the location of were they bolt to the sub frame (all holes exist already).

I have another Nova out back that came with a L-6. The frame mounts look completely different on it than mine. I'm sure a V-8 mount will bolt on if they are bolt on mounts, I just think it will take buying or aquiring an actual V-8 mount. Might be the same mount on a later model though. Clay

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: more of a personal dilemma Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
is it a numbers matching car in MINT condition that will be restored to showroom quality condition with ALL the correct GM parts ? if the answer is no, then build it into whatever makes you happy. IMO too many people get hung up on that whole "original" thing because it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy.

I'm glad I read the thread before responding so I wouldnt have to type all this over again...

Signed,
the guy who took his 302/fmx/4 wheel drum brake equipped Galaxie and went 390/C6 and discs up front because its what I want....

I cant stand even talking to the "purists" at car shows... I find no use for them in the slightest...
camrat68

6300.08 points

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the purists are annoying, but how many 250 L-6 or V-6 cars do you see at car shows. They don't survive very often. It's far easier to modify than maintain.

That's speaking of course as the owner of a '68 that originally came equipped with an L-6 250 that now sports a fuel injected 502. Do what makesyou happy and make the decision to "keep the value" or chop that puppy up. It all comes down to what you want to drive. Wink

af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: more of a personal dilemma Reply with quote

[quote="MufflerBearings69"]
10sec.et wrote:
is it a numbers matching car in MINT condition that will be restored to showroom quality condition with ALL the correct GM parts ? if the answer is no, then build

I cant stand even talking to the "purists" at car shows... I find no use for them in the slightest...

A funny thing happen at the last show! My son took the Willy's in and covered the cars in dirt!!(EXAUHST??) I was working and couldn't make it!

He covered the car next to us in dust! that guy has never changed

a plug much less covered his wannabee car!

I can go on??? Laughing Laughing
Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure Clay is right about the mounts. You will need the V-8 motor mounts. The trans will bolt right up though.
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Quote:
The motor mounts are the same with the six and the V-8 you just have to move the location of were they bolt to the sub frame (all holes exist already).

I have another Nova out back that came with a L-6. The frame mounts look completely different on it than mine. I'm sure a V-8 mount will bolt on if they are bolt on mounts, I just think it will take buying or aquiring an actual V-8 mount. Might be the same mount on a later model though. Clay

1973 and up used the same chassis mount, the part that bolts to the motor (the shell of the clam shell design) differs by application.

Big Dave
rainman8874

529.16 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Well........got the block back from the machine shop this weekend and have decided to go ahead and make the swap. Here is a breakdown on the new 283:

Flat tops (original with motor)
No bore
Decked though
Holley 650 dbl
Mid 70's Performer intake
Heads are from a 80's 305 (52 cc) casting numbers end in 601 in case you know why I chose them.
Mild cam (0 to 5000 rpm).
We figure somewhere in the neighborhood of 275 to 300 hp.

Wish me luck. I did however decide to keep the 250 in case there is a demand later on for that "numbers matching" audience.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Camaro All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: