Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

I signed up yesterday

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yourconfused

1786.52 points

1992 Subaru SVX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: I signed up yesterday Reply with quote

I came here to get info from real hot rod guys that can't be found in the regular import sites.
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I signed up yesterday Reply with quote

yourconfused wrote:
I came here to get info from real hot rod guys that can't be found in the regular import sites.

Welcome to the Site! Just post your questions and hopefully someone will be able to anwer them for you! It's not a high volume site but there are some knowledgeable people here!!
yourconfused

1786.52 points

1992 Subaru SVX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: I signed up yesterday Reply with quote

GrandSportC3 wrote:
yourconfused wrote:

Welcome to the Site! Just post your questions and hopefully someone will be able to answer them for you! It's not a high volume site but there are some knowledgeable people here!!

Thanks. I started out w/ sbc's, moved to Datsun L6's and am now working with an untapped (only 2 built motors in the world that I know of) with a Subaru EG33. I have been talking with the builder of one motor that is putting out over 2hp per cid in n/a form without any power adders. Being that this was the first attempt by him and there was zero reference info for him to look at as far as the motor specs go, it was just a bunch of guess work.

I look forward to the thoughts you guys have on various aspects I have planned with my build.
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I signed up yesterday Reply with quote

yourconfused wrote:
GrandSportC3 wrote:
yourconfused wrote:

Welcome to the Site! Just post your questions and hopefully someone will be able to answer them for you! It's not a high volume site but there are some knowledgeable people here!!

Thanks. I started out w/ sbc's, moved to Datsun L6's and am now working with an untapped (only 2 built motors in the world that I know of) with a Subaru EG33. I have been talking with the builder of one motor that is putting out over 2hp per cid in n/a form without any power adders. Being that this was the first attempt by him and there was zero reference info for him to look at as far as the motor specs go, it was just a bunch of guess work.

I look forward to the thoughts you guys have on various aspects I have planned with my build.

2 HP per cid is pretty amazing!! What kind of compression are you running?
My 434 makes about 1.6 HP per cubic inch and I'm running 14.2:1 compression
yourconfused

1786.52 points

1992 Subaru SVX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the wheel horse power if that car is 325. I assumed about a 25% loss going through the AWD, which gives the 202 cubic inch motor 406hp. I think the compression was 11.8:1. The cams were rather weak and the valves could have gone larger, but it runs well anyway.

I am running E85 and will be looking to get atleast 12.5:1 compression to take advantage of the fuel. I was hoping to get my pistons ordered this week, but I may not get the chance.

Stock the motor runs at 112% volumetric efficiency and makes 1.14hp per cubic inch. I see allot of potential in it.

you are running allot of compression!
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourconfused wrote:
I know the wheel horse power if that car is 325. I assumed about a 25% loss going through the AWD, which gives the 202 cubic inch motor 406hp. I think the compression was 11.8:1. The cams were rather weak and the valves could have gone larger, but it runs well anyway.

I am running E85 and will be looking to get atleast 12.5:1 compression to take advantage of the fuel. I was hoping to get my pistons ordered this week, but I may not get the chance.

Stock the motor runs at 112% volumetric efficiency and makes 1.14hp per cubic inch. I see allot of potential in it.

Those engines are very efficient!!
My compression is high and I also run up to a 250 HP shot of nitrous. My engine is built on a DART Iron Eagle Race Block.. It weights a ton but is virtually indestructible.. The only things that I'm worried are bearings and head gaskets.. The cylinder pressure with that kind of compression and the added compression of the nitrous is huge.
yourconfused

1786.52 points

1992 Subaru SVX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrandSportC3 wrote:
yourconfused wrote:

Those engines are very efficient!!
My compression is high and I also run up to a 250 HP shot of nitrous. My engine is built on a DART Iron Eagle Race Block.. It weights a ton but is virtually indestructible.. The only things that I'm worried are bearings and head gaskets.. The cylinder pressure with that kind of compression and the added compression of the nitrous is huge.

What type/brand of bearings are you running?
Same Q with the HG.

I will be using a MLS S.S. on mine. (multi layer stainless steel)
A friend of mine runs 13:1 on a HKS MLS S.S. HG and has torn it down several times and the HG has looked perfect and has been reusable every time.
Having worked allot on the Miller Cycle motors in the Mazda Millenia supercharged motors (tech for a stealership); all of their gaskets were MLS and never needed replaced. Freakin great design on a gasket.

I have heard this and that about different types of bearings and have found that the basic tri-metal bearing is just plain good and the way to go. I am not sold on the idea that a high silica AL bearing is better in any way whatsoever. According to press releases from clevite and ACL, the only reason for ditching the tri-metal is that it contains lead. They both even state that their newest, greatest High silica ones are close to the longevity and performance of their standard tri-metal ones. Any thoughts on this?
Nice chatting with you.
GrandSportC3

32443.62 points

1968 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not sure what bearings are on the engine as I didn't build it myself. I did the rebuild on my old 600 HP 406 and I used Clevite. I ASSUME that the new engine also uses Clevite but I'm not sure. I do have the build sheet somewhere but I have no idea where...
yourconfused

1786.52 points

1992 Subaru SVX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the bearing thing, here is a image from ACL: (i am using the race one and my competition runs the alu one)

Racefeaturesgraph.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Racefeaturesgraph.JPG
 Filesize:  28.79 KB
 Downloaded:  707 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> New Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: