Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

first post, need direction please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yourconfused

1786.52 points

1992 Subaru SVX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: first post, need direction please Reply with quote

I looked at summit and jegs for a nos kit that would suit my needs, but didn't really find a kit for me.

Quick motor specs:
3.5L H6
12.5:1 compression
4 valves, twin cams
heads, intake and exhaust to support 400+hp
running E85 w/ 660cc injectors
Hydra stand alone with controls for nos via alternate timing and fuel maps, switching etc. (it's a nice system)

This means that I can run a dry system. Problem is that it seems like the dry kits only give you a 50-90 shot. I don't want a kit that gives me too small of lines and jets ect. I was looking to start with a 2 stage giving a 75 at 2k and a total of 150 coming in at 3500 or so. I don't want to kill a new motor, nor destroy the drivetrain as I'll have about 12K in it.

I have never run nitrous, just n/a's and turbo motors.

Being a nos newb I was hoping you guys could help me out in a direction and setup.

I'm sure I didn't provide all the info needed for good answers, so please throw me a bone and ask what you need to give me good info.

Thanks,
Shaun
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,ll hit up Pro60chevy for you tomorrow. There is also a few more here that run them.
yourconfused

1786.52 points

1992 Subaru SVX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
I,ll hit up Pro60chevy for you tomorrow. There is also a few more here that run them.

Thanks
pro60chevy

16.00 points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to do is make sure from your engine builder, unless you did it yourself, if the pistons are made to take a nitrous shot. You are right in the area (225 shot) that would concern me. Hitting the engine with anything at 2K is not a good idea anyway, to be safe, the RPM needs to be around 4K before spraying it. I'm not surprised that Jegs or Summit don't show anything, you need to shop at a place like Nitrous Supply, http://www.nitroussupply.com/ or one of the other nitrous specialty companies. I run a wet system, and have had no experience with the dry systems at all, so I might not be much help other than that. If you do call the company I mentioned above, have all your engine specs at hand, they are going to need it.

Mike
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also have no experience with a wet system but i buy most of my nitrous stuff from Cold Fusion. they are just down the street from me and mostly sell through their online store. great bunch of guys. check out their site and give em a call. http://www.coldfusionnitrous.net/

robins44

18797.16 points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
i also have no experience with a wet system but i buy most of my nitrous stuff from Cold Fusion. they are just down the street from me and mostly sell through their online store. great bunch of guys. check out their site and give em a call. http://www.coldfusionnitrous.net/

did you mean no experience with a dry system? Confused
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robins44 wrote:
10sec.et wrote:

did you mean no experience with a dry system? Confused

yeah, good call Embarassed Laughing

yourconfused

1786.52 points

1992 Subaru SVX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike and 10sec for the website links, I'll check them out.

In reality I don't plan to run that much at first, but something I was wanting to work towards. Without spray I will be hitting close to 90% of a 555cc injector at 7800 rpm, so I figured I should get some 660's to make room for the times I do spray. I am sure most of you guys are using carbs so injector sizing will be hard to get info on. I'll check out the site you mentioned for the nos stuff.

I'll try and get a pic of my intake up so someone may be able to give thoughts on nozzle location. The annoying part is that it is a twin runner that keeps both sides of the motor separate below 3500 rpm, then opens up which makes nozzle placement kinda weird.
yourconfused

1786.52 points

1992 Subaru SVX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twin 2.5" throttle bores

bottom of intake

the 3" plenum divider that opens at 3500 rpm

Where the TB bolts up
yourconfused

1786.52 points

1992 Subaru SVX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for such large pics.
yourconfused

1786.52 points

1992 Subaru SVX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on where to put the nitrous injector(s)?
Thanks,
Shaun
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stay with a dry system, I would think you could mount the nozzles about anywhere. If they are activated after the plenum gets opened up, it should be fine. If you are going with a wet system, I would mount them in the end of the intake runners next to the head. You could mount the dry nozzles here also as I believe they are smaller that a "fogger" type nozzle. I'm saying this as I don't know what kind of room you have under the intake when it is assembled. We can help with injector sizing too, it's just a matter of doing the math. Give us an idea of what power you will be looking at and we should be able to help. The only thing that might be sort of difficult is if you will be relying on something that boosts fuel pressure to get the extra fuel - finding out how the increased pressure affects injector output might be sort of hard. Clay
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed with the ford motorsport injectors, their data gives different lbs per hr ratings based on fuel pressure- would that be the kind of data necessary for those calcs?

Like, what they label as 30 lbs-hr injectors is at stock fuel pressure, but they give what numbers to input to the ecm if running 50 psi or 30 psi instead
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking about what NOS does with fuel pressure. They have basically a regualtor mounted downstream of one solenoid. It reduces the bottle pressure and gives this as a reference to the fuel pressure regulator - same thing as boost referencing. This increases fuel pressure and opens a safety switch. This switch opens the downstream nitrous solenoid to inject nitrous. They get the increased fuel by just bumping up pressure alone - the computer is ignorant of anything. I'm sure NOS has either measured the fuel flow at different pressures or just got it from a manufacturer or it can be easily calculated - I just don't know how yet and this could be a little bit of a hurdle to overcome. Clay
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I was kinda following you... the multipliers they give for changes in fuel pressure is what I was wondering about... Here's the data sheet-

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/ics/m-9593-bb302.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Nitrous Oxide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: