Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

weiand 6-71 build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: weiand 6-71 build Reply with quote

ok basically with the 6-71 being purchased as of this coming april, i need to have a motor ready for it. i am ordering the blower to come with the drive ratio's that should get me around 10psi, but 10-11 is the goal, so heres my engine combo, tell me opinions.

scat 9000 crank (ive seen it handle a monte carlo pushing over 500 to the wheels so it should do)

forged I beam rods, along with +24cc dished forged pistons.

AFR aluminum heads, that already got a professional port and polish job, and were flow tested, were on the monte that i mentioned earlier.

the 6-71 is coming as of april so im trying to have as much done as possible before then. would 10psi be ok with 8:1 compressionand aluminum heads? or am i going to have to bring her down to 7.5 or 7:1? 93 pump gas will be used.

by the way, put my ssbc disk brake kit on, it actually felt wierd being able to stop in the nova. ill get up some new pics soon.

squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what afr heads???????

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: weiand 6-71 build Reply with quote

87IrocTim wrote:
ok basically with the 6-71 being purchased as of this coming april, i need to have a motor ready for it. i am ordering the blower to come with the drive ratio's that should get me around 10psi, but 10-11 is the goal, so heres my engine combo, tell me opinions.

scat 9000 crank (ive seen it handle a monte carlo pushing over 500 to the wheels so it should do)

AFR aluminum heads, that already got a professional port and polish job, and were flow tested, were on the monte that i mentioned earlier.

the 6-71 is coming as of april so im trying to have as much done as possible before then. would 10psi be ok with 8:1 compressionand aluminum heads? or am i going to have to bring her down to 7.5 or 7:1? 93 pump gas will be used.

by the way, put my ssbc disk brake kit on, it actually felt wierd being able to stop in the nova. ill get up some new pics soon.

For the $150 extra get the molly crank! For the extra $100 get the molly H beam rods! Now you have $250.00 insurance! Very Happy
Don't get to concerned on squish/quench.
There is an engine I built 21 years ago that has .170 squish with a 6-71 that is still running to this day! 350 TRW piston 3.25 stroke. 11.02 1/4 mile at 126 in 3100 lbs. Drives it every day it is not raining! A definite ass kicker on the street! Very Happy
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8:1 should be fine. On a blow through carb setup, the general concensus is around 9:1 but they tend to use centrifugals which don't heat the air as much and the venturi effect has somewhat of a cooling effect. Roots blowers don't have these benefits and from my experience with water injection, I would consider it mandatory. You can make some amazing power on pump gas with forced induction and water injection. It really makes the tuneup not as critical and gives you some "oops" room in the learning curve. I ran almost a 10:1 motor with as much as 15 lbs. of intercooled boost on 93 with no problems. I wouldn't do a blower setup without it. The crank should be fine for a while. I made over 600 wheel h.p. with a Scat 9000 crank. At that power level, I would consider tossing it when you freshen the motor up and not ever having it reground. That's what I plan to do with mine. I second the SSBC brake kit. I put their rotor and pad kit on mine and it made a nice difference even using the stock calipers. Clay
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could also afford a vortech setup, which overall would be more streetable power, but im not just building the fastest car i can here, i am giving the car a certain look. you will understand when i put up recent pictures, but the basica idea is to keep it old school and badass, and it just wouldnt be right having a old dirty badass car with a new shiny intercooled vortech or procharger on it, although the power would be intense. i want a satin 6-71, to keep up with the look of the car. the car is not shiny, so neither is the engine, or supercharger for that matter.

might seem odd, but im putting my all into this car, so rather then just making a streetable drag car, its got to have a certain look, so the satin 6-71 it is.

ive been leaning toward meth injection, but whether i use water or meth, i dont want it to be mandatory to use it if i am going to beat on it. the more things i have to keep up on, the more stressed i will get, and the less fun the car will be to drive. it has to be a car where i can get in fill her up and go, whether its january or july.

basically i need help with certain areas such as what my base compression should be to play it safe, rather then push the limit at 10psi. af2, will definitely re-work my list, might as well up it where it can be done within budget.

definitely answered the internals question, now as for ignition, with the aluminum heads, could i run the factory advance curve, or should i get a boost retard box to get to my goals?

and finally, i see it being very likely and reasonable, but im looking to get around 420-440 to the wheels with this setup, anyone elses opinion on that?

as for the AFR heads, i will get the whole scoop on them next time i go to the shop, but the current info i have on them is 2.05/1.6 valves, and a flowtested port and polish job. they were on a procharged monte carlo that one of the s hop employees owns, and pushed around 560 to the wheels, which is far above my goals. i will get more info on them soon.

and finally, if two 500 or 600 carbs is necessary, then so be it, but would the demon 850dp be enough if i were to get the single carb setup and have it jetted for the 6-71? personally, i would rather have a single carb, even if it ment getting a 1050cfm'er.

87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are the most recent pics, although now the engine area is a little different with the new brake setup, line lock, and lines, along with new valve covers and air cleaner, but basically this is it. might as well include some pictures of when i first bought the car. and ignore the hood sticking up in the back, didnt have it bolted to the hinges at the time Laughing and as for the paint job, sprayed the flat black right in my driveway, and after drawing flame outlines with pencil, and taping around the lines, i tried practicing that. came out decent but i have a little touch up to do.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to change your mind on the supercharger type at all. I was just giving you that info. becasue that's where I have my experience - with centrifugals. Anything I'm telling you about roots style blowers I'm making educated guesses (should be pretty similar though) about and I wanted you to know that. I would still look into water injection though, the systems require very little intervention. You could put on a pretty big resevoir (a few gallons) and probably wouldn't have to look at it for months. I would think the single 850 should be enough carb for the goals you have. Clay
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i know i wasnt saying that like, no this is what im doing Laughing i had to read my own post a couple times over to see where i sounded off. i was jsut basically responding to your comment on centrifiguals with, i decided on roots, for various reasons blah blah blah theme of the car blah blah.

from what i understand, i woul dhave to play it much more safe with a roots 6-71 then a cenfrifigual because of heat and things of that sort, so i need some old man advice on setting up a safe compression ratio and internals that would handle 93 gas, 10psi of boost, and still handle it in my middle of a 90 degree august day.

as for the water injection, i did some research on it and it is in no way annoying or complicated. after i find a reasonable kit i will get back to you and go from there, but that will be after i get the internals and blower, got to do the majors first.

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: weiand 6-71 build Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
87IrocTim wrote:

For the $150 extra get the molly crank! For the extra $100 get the molly H beam rods! Now you have $250.00 insurance! Very Happy
Don't get to concerned on squish/quench.
There is an engine I built 21 years ago that has .170 squish with a 6-71 that is still running to this day! 350 TRW piston 3.25 stroke. 11.02 1/4 mile at 126 in 3100 lbs. Drives it every day it is not raining! A definite ass kicker on the street! Very Happy

No water or meth injection!
lun40119

4740.92 points

1967 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam where are the pics you showed of a Scat cast crank on ST, with one of the rod jounals broken right off. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that.

Drag Week 2012 1st Place SB/NA
Drag Week 2011 2nd Place SB/NA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skLbhe2CBAU
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think you really sounded off, I just want you to know where my knowledge base comes from. Yeah, you're right on with the heat factor, especially when intercooling a roots style can be "interesting". As far as the water injection, I made my own. I'll be happy to give you information on it if you want to go that way. I would guess I have about $120 or so in mine. Sounds like you are getting ready to have some fun. Even though I like centrifugals from the performance aspect, I still love the looks of a roots sticking through the hood. Clay
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lun40119 wrote:
Adam where are the pics you showed of a Scat cast crank on ST, with one of the rod jounals broken right off. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that.

That was William Jones on this site. I feel bad for his loss!!!!!

lun40119

4740.92 points

1967 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
lun40119 wrote:

That was William Jones on this site. I feel bad for his loss!!!!!

I meant that I almost fell out of the chair in shock, not that it was funny. What was he doing to it that made it come apart like that. Transbrake, nitrous??????

Drag Week 2012 1st Place SB/NA
Drag Week 2011 2nd Place SB/NA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skLbhe2CBAU
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea definitely clay help me out on that situation.

haha af2 you cant just say dont do it and not tell me why. how come? lets go i need all the info i can get. Laughing

and by the way i figured i tell you all the decent deal i got. not only did he have a polished 6-71 kit that he was selling for $2500, (just because it has minor cosmetic damage from sand blasting), but he said he will include pulleys to get it around 10psi for free, and a single 4bbl adapter plate. and to top it off, hes allowing me to make payments. not a bad deal i think.

Modman97

131.40 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: 6-71 Reply with quote

I found out a lot with my 6-71 build. Things that I wish I knew before I started on it but Im glad it going. There is nothing like seeing the heads turn driving that down the street. What are you going to run for a fuel pump? Electric? How about a Boost Timing Master (BTM) or what kind of ignition box are you thinking?

006.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  006.JPG
 Filesize:  147.98 KB
 Downloaded:  930 Time(s)

007.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  007.JPG
 Filesize:  149.2 KB
 Downloaded:  915 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: