Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Would adding a MAP sensor...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Would adding a MAP sensor... Reply with quote

Be of any use when tuning a carbureted car?

I was kicking the idea around randomly and only get crazy/confused looks from anyone I ask so I figured I might see what you guys thought.

I am getting a wideband setup that datalogs and thought maybe being able to monitor vacuum could give me an idea of how well my fuel and spark curves are flowing together- maybe a little more insight than just the seat-of-the-pants feel...
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to say that eventually I seem to find a way to use any information I get - the more the better. When I was first starting out trying to make a blow through carb, I set up a throttle postion sensor to help me try to decipher when something was happening. Never really used any info. from it, but in your case the MAP reading might be helpful when setting up the carb for the best power valve settting for one. You could tape a vacuum guage to the windshield also, but datalogging is sort of cool. Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with Clay. logging accurate data can sometimes pay off big. i actually have a variety of "known good" sensors in my tool box that i keep because i keep telling myself that "someday i will hook all those up and use them for tuning/data logging".

Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think a vacuum gauge (the analog equivalent of a MAP sensor) would be more useful for tuning a carb. That is one of the tools I use having an Autometer 270 degree sweep gauge installed in each car and truck. A wide band oxygen sensor makes more sense to me.

Big Dave
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes- the wideband is a definite... the wideband I am buying will datalog A/F, RPM, and 4 other inputs... plus I can set up one of the two outputs to tie into a narrowband A/F gauge (like the usual autometer one most people use) so I can see whats going on while driving too... I also like how this unit has a pigtail that I can wire into the car so my connections will be good (soldered clean and sealed) and it will save time too Very Happy

I just think there is a lot left in both of the projects over here that can be unlocked via wideband...
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an Innovate unit. Clay
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep- looking into buying an LM-2... Everything I liked about the LM-1 and a few more nifty features... Anyone have any opinions on and/or experiences with innovate?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the LM-1 for several years and like it. I have set up sensors for throttle position, MAP sensors for boost pressure, fuel pressure, and temperature sensors for before and after intercooler temps. If you want to a temperature setup with a factory GM sensor, let me know as they are sort of a strange setup to make them work. One thing I have experienced is something that can possibly kill the O2 sensor. Supposedly the Bosch sensors heat up so quick that they get very hot while cranking and when the engine fires, there is a wave of condensation that travels down the exhaust and can thermal shock the sensor. This is the theory as to what can lead to a "pump cell open" error. I have replaced one sensor and got a friend to build a delay that will wait about 6 seconds or so before it turns the unit on. The LM-1's are supposed to be able to use the NTK sensor also and it is reported to be much tougher but not quite as fast. Clay
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that wave of condensation would only be in a cold-start situation?

I mean, when I am not working with any sort of cold start-up tuning I could run the car then pop it in- I have a lot more time than money right now so if that is the case I shall do it!

I will be looking into sensors as soon as I get the unit- a lot of it may lean towards using the same sensors as the 95 mustang does (except the MAP it doesnt have) so that the scale is the same vehicle to vehicle.... that is all theory for now we shall see how easy that goes haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Everything Goes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: