Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Nitrous oxide for cooling the intercooler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Nitrous oxide for cooling the intercooler Reply with quote

Anyone here ever done it?

I saw a few things on other forums about it and got curious. A buddy of mine has a Mitsubishi Evo and he too was curious so we are making our own setup, half out of leftover nitrous parts from friends and the spray bar is out of some copper tubing and a handful of fittings...

I guess what we need to find out is how to optimize the spray bar- I think the more small holes we can use the better, basically so we get more/more even coverage. I also don't get why the currently available ones on the market are made of 3/8" or 1/2" tubing.... I mean, the feed line is a -4, so why -8 hard line in a big simple loop? The first design I threw together today is 3 passes across the core with 1/16" holes ~1.5" apart. Basically I just picked numbers to see what it does and we will see what it better/worse from there...

Anyone ever kicked this idea around?
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They spray NOS from carb base plates with a Roots blower to cool the charge. With a Turbo charged system (or centripetal blower) there is too much thin wall tubing and intercooler volume to risk a back fire blowing your car apart.

A Roots system has thick walls, and is equipped with a blow off plate, and two metal impellers to protect the bottom of the carbs from a blast. I would envision your intercooler having enough of a charge in it to set the car on fire (just like when a top fueler blows the Roots blower off the top of the motor). The volume of hot gasses will set alight anything flammable under the hood.

Big Dave
wagon train

7307.16 points

1983 Mercury Capri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Brook about that.He is or was using Co2 across his intercooler.

"BAKER"
10/5/50-11/7/06

"She doesn't seem to be breathing right,it might be the jets."-The Mechanic
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried misting water over my intercooler and saw no difference. Never tried the nitrous over the intercooler. It always just seemed wrong in some way. Way more bang for the buck by spraying in the motor and still having the intercooler effect. Do you run water injection? That may be something to look at too. Clay
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a 3 second spray in 70 degree air with the car idling was putting frost on the intercooler tubes... Yeah I need to find a way to measure temperatures...

I know MAF FI cars use an IAT- intake air temp- but I dont know how fast those things respond... I thought of using one at one end of the 'cooler and one at the other end, or just one at the outlet and compare spraying vs. not spraying....

This all sprang from some spare time so it hasnt been thought out too much yet!

Todd- Good idea- I will ask him friday Very Happy I am hoping to gather some good clean data and see what gives the best bang for the buck
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know too terribly much bout forced induction but........isnt alcohol injection real popular??????

alot of GN owners around here do it

7307.16 points

1983 Mercury Capri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is using both. alcohol injection and he uses CO2 because it is cheaper to fill a bottle.I think there was a 1 to 2 mhp gain using CO2 across the intercooler in the heat of the summer on an entire pass.

"BAKER"
10/5/50-11/7/06

"She doesn't seem to be breathing right,it might be the jets."-The Mechanic
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, brook uses alcohol, the car I am working with is just N2O across the 'cooler for the moment until he steps up and buys some more toys Smile

1-2 mph isnt bad- I figure his intercooler is probably more efficient than this little stock one on the evo. I dont know if that helps or hinders me for sure yet but we shall see. Part of me thinks I should see a little more gain since I am working with a less efficient system... All new to me though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: