Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Cubic inch or blower size trade-off?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
armyofuno

432.82 points

1972 Buick Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Cubic inch or blower size trade-off? Reply with quote

I am considering a 6-71 blown BB chevy (because I have a 6-71)

Now my question is: Considering the heating of the intake charge due to the relatively small blower, should I consider a lower revving, larger intake charge (496 or larger) c.i. motor, or the higher revving, smaller intake charge 427 c.i. version and what would the pros / cons be?

I would not be using any intercooler and would be dual carbed. Mostly street, minimal strip.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the choice and starting from scratch, I would never chose the smaller size. If you look at it this way, the blower is capable of moving a fixed amount of air - period. It doesn't care what is below it. A higher rpm smaller cubic inch engine would move the same air that a lower rpm larger cubic inch engine. Blower rpm would be the same, just at a different engine rpm. I know this is a different type of supercharger, but centrifugals are rated by the cfm of air they can move. Companies can then relate a cfm rating to an approximate h.p. figure it can support. Now this is grossly simplifying the situation and centrifugals are a little different since they aren't positive displacement like your 6-71, but hopefully I am getting my point across. The 496 will be a lower rpm setup and on the street, this means longer life. Clay
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6X71 =426 and that is spinning 3000 rpm? My Uncle runs one on his 433 and gets 30 lbs boost/manifold pressure at 9400 rpm.
I say manifold because of the reversion! Which we have no way of telling!
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the heating with a roots blower is in that the higher the boost, the tighter the seal has to be to keep the air from leaking back through the middle of the blower heading up and out through the carbs. If it is tight enough to seal at high pressure they don't last but a couple of minutes (several races).

Lower the boost pressure and a Roots is happier; that is why every one racing runs a 14-71 not a six. As Clay said it only moves so much air, and if you want pressure under the blower it will have to rev it higher to move more. That to me inplies the shorter stroke motor.

Big Dave
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave! Say it ain't so - you actually suggested building a smaller cubic inch engine!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy . I think the size he has would make a good low boost setup on the 496 and should be good for gasoline. Once you start running alcohol however......spin it to death Twisted Evil . Clay
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Once you start running alcohol however......spin it to death Twisted Evil . Clay

Clay, that is so true!!!! Laughing Laughing
armyofuno

432.82 points

1972 Buick Skylark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I am now leaning towards the 496 (or larger) Although I do have to say I have interested in the blown alcohol street car idea........ But that is another topic.

Anyways, that discussion pretty much mirrored my thoughts of not needing a 9K RPM motor for the street (427 / 433). Besides, what is that old saying? "No replacement for displacement"??

I will keep everyone advised as to the progress on my never ending project.

Thanks,

Steve

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling a 5000 rpm 496 with a blower will be downright stooopid on the street and you'll be waaaayyyy happy. Clay
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
I have a feeling a 5000 rpm 496 with a blower will be downright stooopid on the street and you'll be waaaayyyy happy. Clay

exactly. you wont be able to get the power to the ground. my Olds is all done before 6000 and its nearly impossible to get it to hook up on the street.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: