Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

choosing the right heads
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine running that much cam with those heads. You mentioned some flow numbers. What lift were they taken at and were they measured at 28 inches? What number Crane cam are you running now?
You're running a 68 Camaro? What does it weigh? We've always put the weight no more that 2800 pounds for a glide. What does it have for a 60 foot time?

Jeep
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any off the aluminum shelf head, the smallest cc you can get is 64cc, which will net you a whopping 9.6:1.

I would get a set of Dart Iron Eagle 49cc chamber, 215 intake runners. You can pick up a bare set for a very good price, transfer your parts from the 461's, in fact if cash is an issue don't even worry about port work, with the 215's you don't need to. They are decent off the shelf. If you have a little cash, do some mild matching and blending work. Maybe mill them 030 while they're at the shop.

This will get your CR up to 11.5:1, and will really make that cam able to work! And it's not too big, IMHO.

Machine82'

408.04 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Renting Reply with quote

Ok, I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I know a single person that would let anybody rent a set of heads. Maybe that's just me Question

Mike

gg68camaro

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys crack me up!

My car weighs 3400lbs with me in it and my 60ft time is a poor 1.80. my cam is rated from 3500 to 7200 and I'm not changing it again.

Is there a place like home depot where you could buy something, use it and then return the item and get your money back. I would love to try that with heads Laughing

What do you think about that glide? I been told that my car is to heavy, but when I run nitrous that I wouldn't see a difference in E.T. with a three speed. I get about 4000 to 4200 stall.

Using the compression calculator, I figure heads with a 58cc chamber would put me at 11 to 1. I would like to use pump gas still and a mix on nos. Does this sound o.k.

gg68camaro

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my head flow numbers form prestage.com
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I've contributed all that I have to this thread.

I would however like to clear up the post from Richard about 'renting heads.' (And he can correct me if I'm wrong)

I think what he was trying to convey came out wrong, which made for some wierd looks and fun laughs. (from me included)

The way his post sounded to me, was telling you to go down to the local Steak 'n Shake, Sonic, or wherever the cars hang out on a Saturday night and mingle, 'Whas' up guys, hey anyone got some aluminum heads I can borrow?'

But what I think he meant was more along the lines of getting in tight with a group of guys that might make that idea more workable. However, that could take many months (or even years) to make friends like that. And to side with the laughers, there's not too many people that I would let borrow a set of heads, or really anything for that matter, especially if it bolts to a car. Too hard getting that crap back! I let my best friend years ago 'borrow' a brand new $1500 Ramsey winch, and the SOB WELDED it to his truck!!!

So, I have given my advice about this head situation several times over, and will see you on a different thread. Good luck. Hanz.

PS- I've never heard of a stock camaro weighing 2800 lbs, my 69 weighed 3200.
Smokin71RSSS

2020.86 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: I have 461s on my car Reply with quote

Hey, well on my 65 chevelle, I also have those 461s(62cc) w/o accessory holes and are ported and polished to 2.02/1.60s on my 355. My brother's car(71 camaro) had 462 heads(64cc) on his 383. My brother just replaced his heads to Trickflows(aluminum), they're a REALLY good flowing head if your on a budget, but if i had the money, i would buy AFR heads.

I just drove his car yesturday and could feel a huge difference in power but i couldn't really floor it because it's still breaking in for his rebuild, I mean i wasn't even half way down on the pedal and was going about 55-60mph on the freeway, but with 4:11 gears w/ a high stall converter, lol

On my chevelle w/ the 461s, cranking out 150 psi/9:1 compression(I think),well, they're alright I guess, but i think there is only so much you can do with these heads to make them flow better. So once i get some money I'm probaby going for some Dart Irons or some Vortecs, what ever i can afford, or just buy Trickflows like my brother. Aluminum sounds so nice.
BubbaG

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFR 210's man. just get em. They have some of the best low/mid lift flow of anything out there. I dont care how awesome a port job may be done to factory iron heads, an aftermarket aluminum head will outperform them.
I'll be using the AFR 220's on a turbo'd 383. Should be an easy 500hp on the motor, with another 200 or so with the turbo.
Who really cares about factory heads anyway? To make em work worth a piss you have to spend the same as aftermarket heads.
Good luck!
Smokin71RSSS

2020.86 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the iron heads parts but some people can't afford the AFR's, like me. It all depends on how fast you want to go and how much your willing to spend. I mean I want to go as fast as I can and beat some 500hp BMW's and turboed-up Subaru WRX's around my neighborhood but not enough income.
My brother found those Trickflow heads(195cc/64cc or72cc 2.02/1.60s) for I think like $750,assembled and brand new on ebay, Price from Summit: 1000-$1200. It also depends on if you want your car to be streetable, or just strictly for racing. The Kenny Duttweiler signature heads like he said are "the best street/strip head in its price range" -ChevyHighPerformance-
I'm just saying if your an average joe like me working in the coal mines, then these are pretty good, but here's some other advice, I really don't think any one should get those WORLD Product heads. I think they are the worse flowing head around and expensive for how much your getting, lol

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: head renting Reply with quote

i would rent a set of heads if asked, i have a set of 3884520 heads i pulled of to bolt on the fastburns. i keep them handy just in case. price to rent would have to be a deposit of replacment cost plus wear and tear= 300.00?
sounds like a cool idea. of the 300.00 i would refund 250 after checking things out.

BUT!!
todays society is full of scandualus folk tring to get something for nothing and to start a buss. in this area would soon lead to poorness.
close friends and racer buddies do these things, at least in my circle. borrowed carbs and intakes and once a tranny.
remember the drags at national trails where several folks wrecked during time runs? word has it that jegs( columbus based) helped repair his chasis in their shop.
tech is on to something. get to know some folks and maybe something will come your way.
good luck
MacDaddy

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to choose a head is to take a look at a bunch of flow numbers, then choose the best flowing head from a class of heads. Then take each head from that class and choose the best flowing head with the smallest port. You'll probably want to look in the 180cc - 190cc range.The amount you're willing to spend also has a lot to do with it.

I would say the best head you could ever buy for that 355 would be the AFR 180 CC competition port head. They're pricey, but they're the best head money can buy.
BubbaG

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got another solution. I have a set of Aluminum bowtie heads, already ported, angle milled for more compression(60cc chambers), fully assembled, with matching single plane intake. I'll sell the whole mess for 1000.00. these came off of a 14-1 355 that ran in Super Gas. Would be streetable with lower compression.
Phil
osmiumfoot

2387.84 points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a set of AFR heads on June 20 and was told the wait time would be 4 to 6 weeks. On July 23 I was told they would ship on the 25th or 26th. On August 7 I was told they were in the assembly room and would ship on the 8th. On August 25 I was told they were in the wash room and then would go to final assembly and ship on the 26th. As I write this I am still waiting for my heads. Every time I have called them I have been put on hold for a minimum of 20 minutes. They might make good heads but their service sucks!
BubbaG

100.00 points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my AFR's new off of ebay. Had them in 3 days.
montychevy71

100.00 points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the heads you have now, but buck for bang AFR's all the way 202's 64cc and your motor will love it. If money want allow you to get them try World Product Sportman II's at JrMotorsport(online). Keep it on the street!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: