Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Probably been asked 1000 times, weiand 144?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cochino12

476.68 points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Probably been asked 1000 times, weiand 144? Reply with quote

So I bought a weiand 144 (10 hrs marine use, REALLY cheap ) from a friend and I need some help picking some good matching components for it. Its going in my 77 2wd K5 Blazer, bone stock motor has about 70k miles, 3:73 gears/locked rear (soon), holley 750. Everywhere I look I seem to get different info, what cam/head combo would you recommend? I'm not looking for a 10 second truck here just a nice weekend driver that pulls mid to high 14 second et's here ~6k ft sea level so I'm guessing right around 400+ hp. (zz4 in my c10 got me to 15 sec flat et's)

Here is the dilemna, after buying the blower, fuel pump, oil pump, gauge, timing chain, valve covers, plugs, wires ... I've only got about $1000 to spend, so I'm thinking I might just do heads later and buy the cam, rockers and necessities now and save some of my budget to buy a nice set of heads later if needed.

Any real help and actual experience with a similar setup would be great. Thanks in advance.

Adam
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonna need more info on things like, motor size, trans(man or auto) and stall... daily driver?

if you only got a grand to spend might i suggest some vortecs( if its a SBC) and a mild cam on a 114 lobe sep...

Im sure there will be plenty or guys that will chime in.. I just wanted to get things started.

cochino12

476.68 points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disturbthepeace1 wrote:
gonna need more info on things like, motor size, trans(man or auto) and stall... daily driver?

if you only got a grand to spend might i suggest some vortecs( if its a SBC) and a mild cam on a 114 lobe sep...

Im sure there will be plenty or guys that will chime in.. I just wanted to get things started.

I knew I was forgetting some stuff. 355 ci, stock stall but I dont mind changing, th350, weekend cruiser, must pass smog, let me know if I missed anything else. Thanks
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those and just bolted it on and didnt change any internal engine components. The only thing I had to do is lock out the advance on the distributor and run the timing where it didnt ping. Cant remember what it was timed at but it wasnt much like 15-20 degrees total on pump gas. It did not like much timing at all, but it made good power and picked the car up about 1 second in the 1/4. Very streetable too.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might would throw a camshaft in there while you're that close. I would use something off the shelf however. Since you have to pass smog, it's going to be something pretty small anyway. I would guess something in the mid to high 260's on advertised duration would be about all you could stand (this would probably be around the low 220's duration at 0.050" lift). Most of these cams are ground on a 110* seperation which is spread from what would be optimum for a naturally aspirated setup with the same duration anyway. At that duration range, there isn't going to be any excessive overlap, so I think it would work very well on a blower setup. Clay
disturbthepeace1

10195.60 points

1965 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with clay..

If the duration was high then a larger lobe sep would counter overlap.. you could take advantage of a narrow sep if you keep it in the 220 range..

Bad advice on the vortecs too.. They don't have provisions for your EGR system..

cutlass389

8544.62 points

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: EGR? Reply with quote

I kinda' don't think the blower manifold has an egr provision either. Vortecs would require a new manifold anyway. Just throw that sucker on there with 5 psi pulleys and enjoy.
cochino12

476.68 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
I might would throw a camshaft in there while you're that close. I would use something off the shelf however. Since you have to pass smog, it's going to be something pretty small anyway. I would guess something in the mid to high 260's on advertised duration would be about all you could stand (this would probably be around the low 220's duration at 0.050" lift). Most of these cams are ground on a 110* seperation which is spread from what would be optimum for a naturally aspirated setup with the same duration anyway. At that duration range, there isn't going to be any excessive overlap, so I think it would work very well on a blower setup. Clay

Thanks for the help, I think I might just stick with a cam and some other minor things that might need replaced. I cant seem to find anything close to the numbers you suggested. I did find this article

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0606_supercharged_small_block_chevy_engine_build/index.html

which used this cam, is that because of the choice of heads?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CRN-113821
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking along these lines.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2D12%2D234%2D2&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2D12%2D238%2D2&autoview=sku

I think the first cam would stand a better chance of passing an emmission test and still give a noticable gain - some other guys on here can give more information on that, I haven't had to pass a test yet so I don't have an absolute answer to what you can get away with but I think these cams are in the ballpark. The second choice may be pushing things a bit in the emisson department though. Clay

87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used the 142 on my 355, mildly ported heads, 1.94 /1.5 valves, summit brand camshaft 234/244 duration, .488/.510 with 1.5 rockers, but i use 1.6 rollers, 70cc chambers with flat top pistons, demon 850 double pumper, port matched the intake to the heads.

as for the supercharger, i bought the 2.5 inch upper pully, left the lower at 6 inch. makes 6psi of boost.

did show slight signs of preignition on the plugs, so i got some number 4 heat range plugs and back the timing off 1 degree, and that got rid of preignition.

i havent dyno'd the car with the demon 850, but when i dyno'd it with the holley 750cfm, it made to the wheels 318.7 horse, and 349 ft lbs of torque. the horsepower was still climbing strong until the coil wire fell out and the car backfired and shut off at about 6000 rpm. started the dyno at 2800 rpm, backfired and shut off at 6000 rpm, the car stayed over 300 ft lbs the whole time. air fuel ratio was slightly lean with a 12.8 air/fuel at 6000, which is why i used my demon rather then re jetting the holley.

as long as your n/a compression is less then 9.2:1, as far as i kno you can easily go to 6psi with some minor tuning and plug selection.

besides the big cam, the supercharger has no effect on the daily driving of the car. it is just spinning with the motor unless you hit on the gas more then 1/4 throttle from low rpm. very streetable, makes full boost well below 3000 rpm. right out of the box the supercharger made 4psi of boost. at 4psi, anything below 9.5-1 will basically be a bolt on and go minus a degree or two of timing, and a slightly richer air/fuel. definitely a good blower for a truck because you will actually use the boost whel pulling something. good luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: