Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

AFR Heads, Are they any good?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: AFR Heads, Are they any good? Reply with quote

Its time for me to upgrade to a fresh set of heads on my Big Block. I am looking at a set of AFR 357Magnum CNC's. I have never used AFR heads, only Darts. How are these heads generally, (fit and finish wise)? Should there be anything I should watch out for?

Thanks for any opinions and advice

Corey

Big Dave

116393.10 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were racing flow benches they flow more than any other 24 degree standard port configuration BBC head. That being said every professional engine builder with name recognition uses Dart or Brodix heads standard port heads (when not using symmetrical port with 15 to 18 degree valve heads). But of course they are not using the heads as received out of the box, but have them CNC'd to their own personal profile.

I plan on using a set of 315 AFR Magnum's on my next 540 BBC build up. I currently have no personal experience with AFR to report to you as yet.

Big Dave
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: AFR Heads Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have been researching a little more and found a set of heads that flow even better than the AFR's and they are conventional.

I have never even heard of these but the flow numbers are amazing. I would say these are the highest flowing heads made.

I think I have made up my mind.

www.thebmfstore.com

Big Dave

116393.10 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people bad mouth AFR heads but it is usually a case of sour grapes (as I do not know anyone that would not run them if they found a box of heads on their door step). They have a great reputation in sportsman classes, and make lots of power in testing out of the box in car mag testing.

For the longest time RHS used to be the cat's pajamas, but they started CompCams as a sideline and then they let the company slide for lack of focus. AFR has that same rep today, and the highest prices to match that increased demand.

Big Dave
Skunkworkx

10318.16 points

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFR seems to have a lot of hype IMO.

I would love to see an apples to apples test by an independent builder.

Big Dave

116393.10 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skunkworkx wrote:
AFR seems to have a lot of hype IMO.

I would love to see an apples to apples test by an independent builder.

Look on SpeedTalk.com. Then search AFR. There are a number of professional builders and head porters with no interest in AFR that can give you an honest answer to that question (actually they have answered this question a number of times: hence the search)

Basically the difference is in the amount of material that Brodix and Dart leave in their castings to allow porting. AFR once CNC'd doesn't leave much material for further porting which is bad for porters but good for people who drive on the street and want to get the excess heat out of their engines and cool the exhaust side down (less metal means thinner walls and more coolant closer to the ports).

Big Dave
af2

66667.72 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem is that you have Tony Romo from AFR and Joe Sherman in his front pocket. Not taking away from Joe but I wan't his Dyno!
I say no more. Laughing
squeeezer

191305.80 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
The only problem is that you have Tony Romo from AFR and Joe Sherman in his front pocket. Not taking away from Joe but I wan't his Dyno!
I say no more. Laughing

you a cowboys fan????? tony romo Laughing Laughing

tony mamo Rolling Eyes

66667.72 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squeeezer wrote:
af2 wrote:
I say no more. Laughing

you a cowboys fan????? tony romo Laughing Laughing

tony mamo Rolling Eyes

Embarassed Embarassed Rolling Eyes sorry!! Very Happy
Harold Sutton

2764.18 points

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 598" or larger the AFRs make over 900 H.P. with some compression. One guy here just built a 632 which has BMFs and installed in a Nova. It was just a tick faster than our Chevelle but is 150 lbs. lighter and more aerodynamic. The new Head Hunters by Brodix would be my choice for a new head currently. There is a set of these, in the 332 cc size, over on Racing Junk that can be had for $2500 complete. That head flows 400+ cfm and would make a real drivable smaller engine, like a 540"-555" with lower compression. How heavy is the car, what body style, gear, transmission, etc.? P.S...... How fast are you wanting to go? My son's Chevelle, at 3530 lbs. has been 9.277 @ 146 with a 3.89 gear, powerglide and a 598" with the AFR 357 heads. A good T-400 would be quicker but Rossler is the only on i'd trust to build one that would hold up. We've broken a supposedly good one four times.
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Heads Reply with quote

A little update on the heads search. I just ordered a set of Dart 360 solid heads from Race Flow Development. Complete cnc ported 2.35 Titanuim Intakes, 1.90 Inconel exhausts, triple Nextek springs, completely assembled, just a hair under $5500.0 to my door. I couldn't pass up that deal. Once they are finished they should be around 390CC intakes and flow about 460CFM. I can't wait to bolt these on and see how fast we go.

Updates to follow. Thanks for all the info/help Very Happy

Corey

Big Dave

116393.10 points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know.... Those heads have got to have two maybe three pounds more aluminum in them than the AFR heads. Do you think that the extra breathing ability will offset all that added weight? Surprised Rolling Eyes Laughing

Big Dave
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: AFR Reply with quote

They are going on a Blown Alcohol engine and I don't run water in the block. Due to the high cylinder pressures I went with the solids for extra reliability. I'm hoping these heads are the last I ever have to purchase while I'm running the conventional bigblock.

Corey

Big Dave

116393.10 points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only kidding about the weight Laughing

Out of curiosity had you given any thought to the price difference with a set of Dart Big Chiefs and matching 8-71 manifold? I know it is going to be more but I was wondering just how much more? (figuring about $1,300 each with another $2,500 to $4,000 to upgrade valves and get them ported; I figured maybe a grand or two more for some much deeper breathing heads).

Big Dave
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: AFR Reply with quote

I was looking into it but you also have to change pistons(different valve angle) as well as the rockers (Jesel/T&D) new pushrods, etc. It was going to be close to $10,000 bucks once all the parts are here. If it was the only thing I had to change I might have been able to afford it, but I haven't raced this car for a while so the upgrades that I want to do will cost a bit as well. Believe me I was definitely looking at it, but the budget just isn't there.

Corey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: