Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

turbo drain line ?????????????????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffeverly

1181.50 points

1992 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: turbo drain line ????????????????? Reply with quote

Head Bang oil drain for turbo is ok to drain it in the fuel pump block off? i seen a few single turbo setup like this. i really dont feel like pulling motor out to tap oil pan for drain!!!my turbo sets up high enough for to drain to the fuel pump block off im going to use hydralic hose i think size like 5/8" should big enough i have clear passage to get good drain to it, just need good answer bad or good i have 3/16" line coming from the hole on top the oil filter there was a plug there i took it out and run hard line to turbo oil feed my dad said that be ok it will get the same oil pressure that is shows on oil gauge he said i might have put a restrictor on to slow down the pressure anyway thanks for all guys help ib the past
jeff
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting idea. i know it would work on Olds, Ford, Mopar because the pump arm makes direct contact with the cam and that part of the block is basically open. Chevy, on the other hand, has a rod that pushes on the pump but i dont know if there would be enough of a drainback there. need a Chevy guy to answer this Confused .

Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it would work. No pump there just the plate right? Sounds good to me. There is at leas a 3/8" drain to the pan there. It might even be a 1/2". I have a block in the shed I'll take a look.

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul_P is right, even with the rod installed, which is sounds like he is running an electric anyway, and I'm guessing the drainback hole being the same size - at least 3/8", maybe 1/2". When I was runnin the Procharger P600B, I ran the drainback for it back into the dipstick hole. It really didn't have a lot of flow, and I'm just like you, didn't want put a hole in the pan. See how much flow you have when you crank it up. Just have the drain line going into a bucket to start with for a few seconds. I don't know about turbo internal construction yet, but I would think they take care of the actual oil flow through it internally and no restrictors would be required. Clay
jeffeverly

1181.50 points

1992 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, yes i do have a electric fuel pump, the fuel pump block plate idea is (hope) going to work my dad said the same thing about seeing how much the turbo will drain in bucket, ill be doing that tomarrow almost ready fire this puppy up need go threw and check all my an fittings for leaks, got water in it, etc etc etc
the only thing im not sure of is the carb i got its ebay specail i got for 50.00 bucks and dump about 300.00 in to get it new again my dumd mistake should a bought a new one and made a blow threw myself.
jeff
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only down side to fuel pump plate will be the 3/8-16 threaded hole for the front mount motor mounts also enters the fuel pump drain back cavity. You will have to be sure a short bolt with sealant on the threads is used to keep from obstructing the drain back hole nor leaking; as the oil feed will probably pressurize the cavity with the volume of oil you are moving.

Big Dave
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolt length isn't really critical unless the pump pushrod is in there, but a hole that has to be plugged for sure - don't really see it getting pressurized though. I'm just glad I've never left that bolt out....... Rolling Eyes Embarassed . Clay
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though there is a 3/8th inch hole to drain the fuel pump cavity; I do not think it goes through into the interior of the block. I believe it exits through a small hole (just barely breaks through) on the front side of the main cap and drains into the timing cover.

With a pressurized feed line (1/8th inch at 60 psi) feeding the cavity it will probably back up the fuel pump rod tube and exit by the cam's eccentric and flow down the back side of the front main web. If there is a long bolt blocking the pump rod hole (who ever can find the correct 1/2" long bolt that belongs there when you need it) such as an intake bolt or any of the dozens of other longer bolts we have lying around in our tool tray; it could obstruct the oil return flow.

Big Dave
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen turbo kits that use the fuel pump block off as the oil return.

I do not know if they've had an issues or not. I would think it would work fine.

I challenge you to push yourself.
jeffeverly

1181.50 points

1992 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys i did the oil drain in fuel pump block off plate i did some research on the web plus read some old turbo books my buddy has the drain should be no more 30 degrees from the turbo to its draining point did that. I used hydralic hose for this got a good route for the drain. DRAIN DONE
I was going to start truck today but im not shore about somethings
1. can i take intake pipe off to carb to start truck so i break in cam 2. or should i take turbo off completely to break cam in
my dad is afraid that stating truck turbo might be problem till we get cam broke in right cam manufactor stays to not let engine idle below 1500 rpms no more than 2500 rpms for 30 minutes then drain oil then cam will broke in
after that were going put turbo back on
OR do guys think all to fire it with turbo all hooked up
some info on this would be great thanks jeff
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What cam???
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that turbo wont be spooling at 2500 without a load anyway. i wouldnt worry about it and fire it up. just be sure all of your connections and fluid lines are secure so you dont have to shut the engine off before you finish the break-in.

jeffeverly

1181.50 points

1992 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

summit cam
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffeverly wrote:
summit cam

Geese, They have a boat load of cams!???? Laughing
jeffeverly

1181.50 points

1992 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

282 intake
292 exhaust
lift
465 intake
488 exhaust
have erson 1.6 roller rockers
cam has a 114 center lobe seperation
i have rhoads lifters part#8178 their a lifter my dad said to get at l flat tappet variable duration lifters are famous for increasing low-end torque, engine vacuum, and idle quality on engines equipped with performance hydraulic cams, while maintaining maximum top-end power. The unique construction of Rhoads Original hydraulic lifters reduces lift and duration at idle by approximately .010 in. to .020 in. Duration is reduced by approximately 10 to 15 degrees. Total lift and duration are restored at approximately 3,500 rpm.
with these lifters i dont need a stall in my truck still a cruzier friend
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: