Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

genIII swap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
555nova

2155.50 points

1974 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: genIII swap Reply with quote

I made an offer on a 63 chevyII and if I get it I want to put a 6 L truck motor in it.I would like to know what it take to swap one in with the fuel injection intact.
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on what year. most likely will need complete motor, trans, PCM, and harness (AKA........ a donor vehicle). 2004 PCM uses CAN data and talks to all of the other modules/computers in the truck. a pre 04 truck/van would be a better candidate or maybe pull everything from something like a G2500/3500 Cutaway. thats the basic work van thats "cutaway" for utility boxes or other apparatus grafted onto the back. it would have a minimal ammount of "accessories" to worry about.

Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That and a fairly tall hood cowl as the truck manifold is quite tall.

There exist third party engine swap kits including the new front end clip to replace the existing front suspension designed for a 78 horse power four cylinder motor (the "iron duke). Most rely upon Mustang II front end components but some are ground up reengineered suspension parts and come with the correct pan and brackets to fit. I am assuming this is a cost is no object conversion? Reason being a SBC gen one motor making enough power to get you into trouble is available for a whole bunch less.

Big Dave
555nova

2155.50 points

1974 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still havent heard from they guy if he will take my offer or not. Its my dads buddy and he has health problems. The nova is in fairly rough shape, needs a lot of rust removal. I was thinking a injected lsx motor would make a good cruiser with good fuel economy. Our other two hot rods get about 10 mpg and they both have OD trannys and it would be nice to get 18 or so on the highway. I built a 383 that made 507hp on the dyno here in town for cheap, so i know that gen one motors can do it.I would like to only be into this car about $7500 since we have three others and all of them need work.
Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys heard about the 07 and newer escalade motors. The heads flow better than the new ZO6 vette motors. My friend Richard at west coast cylinder head is doing 4 of these converted to carbs and a cam change for a magazine right now with all stock internals and no other mods, 600 crankshaft HP with a reasonably smooth idle! The adapter for the crank is made so a turbo 400 trans bolts up and they are going to be going in some early muscle cars soon.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good write up of an LS1 swap into 87 Monte Carlo.

Knarley, those heads are used on the L92, and LS3's. Stock they aren't as good as the LS7's. The big advantage the LS7 heads have are a better flowing intake manifold. As far as bang for the buck it's hard to beat the L92's though. The only downside is they don't work well on the LS1's with 3.9" bore. Everything I've seen states they need to be used with a min of a 4.0" bore (which is what the 6.0L truck motors use).

I'm hoping to start my LQ4 transplant into my 79 Camaro later this year. Right now gather funds and looking for a low mileage LQ4 out of an express van or truck with the 4L80E.

I challenge you to push yourself.
Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I might drag you out on this one Smoke. The engine is a new 6.2, and the heads flow over 330 stock on the intakes. I forgot my main point is he obtained these engines for 1000.00 each and didnt even have to rebuild them. So there is some serious bang for the buck here. I believe the escalade is rated at 425 HP stock. Edelbrock is going to make the manifold for a carb. They may already have them. I will talk to him and get a update and more details today and let you know.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
I forgot my main point is he obtained these engines for 1000.00 each and didnt even have to rebuild them.

I wish I could find one for $1,000.

555nova

2155.50 points

1974 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought scroggins/dickey had l92 heads for something like $375 apeice. opps I miss read the post. That was my game plan for the motor L92 heads a small roller cam and good headers. I asume you need something like the F.A.S.T. controler to make them run with the big heads?
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been getting L92's outa junk yards for $125 a piece
ready to run too

PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed Knarley was talking about getting the whole motor for $1000. I know the heads can be had for under $1000. Maybe I'm just dreaming!

555nova, the factory PCM is fine for your plan, I wouldn't change it. Just get a tuning package along with a wideband O2 and you're all set. I like HP Tuners. A little bit of a learning curve but not too bad. Just learn the histograms and datalog to get the tune dialed in.

On my LS6 heads TEA did the porting and I think they did a really nice job. I wouldn't hesitate to send a set of L92's to them.

Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I need to clarify they were ported all the way to out flow the ls7s. They flowed over 340 ported and the 6.2 with ported heads and a cam change made 600 hp with a carb. The bottom end was stock. He did get the engines for 1000 a piece and disassembled and checked the bottom ends. They were new enough that he even reused the rings.
TSHACK

24533.64 points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarly
Whats do you think he'll have in each powerplant? maybe $3000.00 with the cost of the base engines, port work cam & intake? or do you think it'll be more. Any way you look at it even if he puts 4 large in them & gets 600 ponys + that A Major WOW factor Shocked please post if you can when the mag articals come out Exclamation Twisted Evil

Harold Sutton

2764.18 points

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to a local guy who burns chips and he said some head porter that used to be at the SAMS school told him the L-92s can flow over 385 cfm with nothing more than valve work. They only cost about $175 per head from Chevrolet, bare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: