Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Billet Aluminum Dash Bezel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushed the "Z" outside to clean the shop today. BUT, this time I didn't have to kick the front tires to keep it str8. I used the STEERING WHEEL. WooHoo.

BTW: I had a weak moment today. There is some spy footage in the link below. Make sure you turn up the volume before you click on the link. This doesn't happen often in the "Z" shop, so don't miss it. Wink

http://media.putfile.com/Camaro-Spy-Video-5-26-08
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's another small step but I figured I better dust this thread off. The mold I made for the glove box way back when finally produced a part.

I cut the bottom of the glove box to the contour of the intercooler and glassed it in place.

Flipped it over, cleaned up all the overlaps & danglin' tabs and gave it a couple layers of cloth to hold it together.

Got it roughed in to a 100 grit state & gave it a light coat of primer

I think I'm going to stop here. I'll do the finish work later when I'm ready for final paint. This little project took months (a few minutes here and there). I think I'll work on the engine compartment for my next project. I have a header tube clearance problem to address and then I'll start reconstruction of the firewall. Hopefully I can pick up the pace some on that deal.....

The more I LQQK at the intercooler in this pic. I'm thinking I might change the outlet tube connection to a bolt together joint instead of the hose clamp set-up. I can see that thing blowing off taking the dash with it. That might be bad for me knee & ears too. :-[
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A V-clamp should hold up to about 30psi and would be easier to work with than a bolt together flange with O-rings to worry about. How high are you planning on pushing it?

Big Dave
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude I am stunned at your talent. I love the cut fire wood under your parts! My wife took a picture of me hand profiling the domes on a set of pistons with me sitting in a "little Tykes" plastic chair, and my trash man hates me because we have color coded cans, Blue=trash Green= yard waste, Grey=recyclables But all my cans have been used for parts painting tables so many times that they are Chevy orange, Black, and multiple other colors and concoctions including "Easy Off" oven cleaner which really makes the cans look "Custom" LOL Please keep posting the cool pictures. In fact you have just motivated me to go bolt the pan and intake back on my engine and get it back in the race car today!!!!!!!!!! BTW is that one of those 12,000 dollar rear ends in your car? OUTRAGEOUS.
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ND.
No that rear end is a mix n' match of EBAY, Mark Williams, Danny Miller & home made parts.

Dave I'm leaning toward the bolt together set-up partly because I have the material laying around the shop to build one. Well, except for the bolts & o-ring, but they were only about 5 bux @ the store.
I'll post some pics of the flange once I get it done.
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I had some time this weekend & I decided I'd get the hose & clamp set-up replaced. I pulled out the old slab of aluminum and started whittlin' away.

Flipped one over & cut an o-ring groove

cleaned them up on the lathe & cut the mating surfaces for a nice air tight fit.

Finished and ready to install.
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My aluminum welding skills aren't the best, but I got 'em melted together.

Intercooler side with o-ring

all bolted together and back in the caah.

dash cover back in. No more hose & clamps. I feel safer with this set-up by my shin. I've seen some ugly footage of those clamps letting go.

That's what I did this weekend.
htrodder87

770.16 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jealous of the fab work. Wish i had a place to make all the little customs pieces.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it isn't going to come apart unexpectedly, that is for sure. Nice craftsmanship, but all I have to whittle with is a hand held Sears "our Finest" router with a case full of carbide tips; or a pocket knife (its a big knife though).

Big Dave
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple hours yesterday afternoon & a couple more this afternoon, so I thought I'd get organized for the upcoming "Z" firewall build. I've got some sheet metal tools that have been under the bench for a good long while now. So, I chopped up an old attachment I had for my first track loader that was just collecting dust in the corner. It had some slip tubes on it (like a receiver for the hitch). I used some angle iron I had in the shed and made this deal up. I put it on an outside corner of the shop so I'd have plenty of workin' room.

I bought a stretcher/shrinker at a car show a couple years ago. No mount so it hasn't been used yet.

Harbor Freight Planishing hammer. Might call it new old stock. I've had it for a long time too, but never used it.

I've used the bead roller a couple times. Clamped it in the band saw when I DID use it.

I'm wondering about a wing (table top) on each side of the bead roller to help feed the stock through? or maybe it would just get in the way? Any thoughts?

I still plan to make an attachment to hold the bench vise, and one for a small welding table. I'm gettin' tired of saw horses......... Embarassed

that's what I've been up to this weekend.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat collection of tools. I would like to add some of those to my shop someday. I would probably make a stand with a roller, or a series of rollers on top instead of a table. I would make it height adjustable so you could use it with each of your metalworking tools as you come across a need. Always a need for that third hand..... Very Happy . Clay
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roller tables would be slick. Unfortunately I don't have the floor space. So, I have to make everything either collapsible or Multi-use or something I can hang on the wall to get out of the way.
BTW: I still have to come up with a way to store this stuff and still have it easy to get to. Another project for another day.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that wall mount is awesome I'm not worthy . i never thought of that. i tried making a vise table with angle iron and flat steel for the top, what a waste. its like mounting a vice to jello. that damn thing bounces all over when youre trying to work Mad .

pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is solid as a rock. Probably because it's mounted to an outside corner. I can grab the planishing hammer or bead roller and try to move them, they don't budge at all. Time will tell for sure when I put them to work.
pro70z28

3992.22 points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I welded up the welding table tonight. I cut the supplies kinda' close. I have 1/2 pc. of filler rod left, 20 PSI of argon in the second tank & the 20''x20'' table top was the biggest pc. I could get out of what's left of a 4'x4'x3/16'' sheet of steel. I had to check it out so I got up on it and jumped up & down. Good to go.

Bracing under the table. Gettin' low on that stuff too, but I got er' done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Camaro All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: