Home | Register | Login | Contact Us

 
Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites
 
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

454 Clevor first track time
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Small Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
William Jones
Member


Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 823
Location: Lake city, FL
28541.86 points


1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: 454 Clevor first track time Reply with quote

Results! first night at the track only got 2 passes but was pretty happy with what I got. My goal was 10.0, I think with the right converter and a prepped track, some tuning and turn it a little harder it will run in the 9's. Here is my time from the only full pass I made tonight. I shifted at 6500rpm and it felt like it wanted more, man when it gets in the power band it wants to run. I definatley need a looser converter I left on the transbrake at 3700 rpm. Disect this time slip and tell me what you think. From feel I think a bigger converter is in order. The track is my Dyno so what do you all think it is making to the wheels.

RT .116
60ft 1.478
330 4.205
1/8 6.499
mph 106.58
1000 8.488
1/4 10.165
mph 134.42

race weight was 3895 I picked up the extra weight due to the block being about 40lbs heavier and me gaining 20lbs.

Bam

_________________
Take the horse out off the barn and let her RUN BABY RUN!!!!!

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ABIGBRAIN
Member


Joined: 22 Jun 2003
Posts: 106
Location: Upstate New York
2781.08 points


1968 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good first time out.

My best estimations:
HP: 738
ET: 9.86

Hope this helps.
-Andy-

_________________
Baseball is wrong, a man with 4 balls CAN NOT WALK !!

1968 Chevelle - 10.47@126 MPH 1.43 60' 383 SBC NA, Original rear suspension. 149,000 + miles

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
555nova
Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 62

2155.50 points


1974 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im no expert but my nova is just over 3500 lbs with me in it and ive run a 10.22. My dyno sheet says 776hp 683tq at the crank, so your probebly in that ball park. How many rpms you turning at the strip. Im thinking based on your build that you might want to run it to 7000 rpm. Also a 4500 stall would probebly help. Just my two cents. Sounds like a very nice pass for the first time out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
William Jones
Member


Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 823
Location: Lake city, FL
28541.86 points


1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our goal was 750hp so I think we are pretty close to that and the car ran pretty close to my goal of ten flat so we are happy. We are going to try and get a stall converter in the 5300 to 4800 stall range and we will come up on the shifts slowly until we get the best results. Our problem now is if it starts running 9's we will have to get full cage and I am not really ready to go that route. So I might be short shifting it to keep it in the 10's.

I went thourgh the traps at 6900rpm and shifted at 6500 like you said I think the converter is the ticket to knock some et off.

Bam

_________________
Take the horse out off the barn and let her RUN BABY RUN!!!!!

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
af2
Member


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 5558
Location: grassvalley, ca
71227.76 points


1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More converter!!!
Very nice run!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
555nova
Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 62

2155.50 points


1974 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think your going to have any problems getting to the 9's. What type of rear suspension are you running, gear and tire size? It seems like your 60' might be just a little soft. We are almost done finishing the cage in my car and it was a pain to do IMO. We have two months before the first race here in Montana and I cant wait. I was leaving about the same as you last year about 3500 on a 5500 converter off the trans break. This year I'll be able to use the stall with switching from the stock suspension to a four link and going from a 28 x 10" tire to a 28 x 10.5w. Good luck getting into the 9's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
William Jones
Member


Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 823
Location: Lake city, FL
28541.86 points


1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

555nova wrote:
I dont think your going to have any problems getting to the 9's. What type of rear suspension are you running, gear and tire size? It seems like your 60' might be just a little soft. We are almost done finishing the cage in my car and it was a pain to do IMO. We have two months before the first race here in Montana and I cant wait. I was leaving about the same as you last year about 3500 on a 5500 converter off the trans break. This year I'll be able to use the stall with switching from the stock suspension to a four link and going from a 28 x 10" tire to a 28 x 10.5w. Good luck getting into the 9's


We run the whole Cal tracs setup mono leafs and rancho adj shocks, with 4.11s and 29 10.5W tire my converter flash at 3900 if I can get the 60's down in the 1.3s range I think it will run pretty far into the nines but I will have to save up for the converter and a full cage.

Bam

_________________
Take the horse out off the barn and let her RUN BABY RUN!!!!!

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clay
Moderator


Joined: 24 Nov 2002
Posts: 3209
Location: South Carolina
318129.23 points


1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone else - the 60' is what sticks out to me too. Not bad, but should be a little better in my opinion. I would guess about another 1000 rpm or so would be a good point. The only problem is the looser converter will allow rpm to be higher through the traps. Something like a 3.90 gear might be in your future - depends on how hard you want to buzz it. Great results for a first time out though Very Happy . Clay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
squeeezer
Member


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 2427
Location: new richmond WI
191524.76 points


1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt that motor a 7500 rpm or more motor????
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
William Jones
Member


Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 823
Location: Lake city, FL
28541.86 points


1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We built the motor to run 5000 to 7000 but it feels like it wants to run past that a little only more testing will tell.

Bam

_________________
Take the horse out off the barn and let her RUN BABY RUN!!!!!

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clay
Moderator


Joined: 24 Nov 2002
Posts: 3209
Location: South Carolina
318129.23 points


1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as to the wheel h.p., I would guess you are very close to what I have. My weight is similar to yours, you are about 50 pounds or so heavier and I normally run a 6.49 in the 1/8th with a m.p.h. of around 106ish. I made 609 rwhp but your 1/4 mph is a little higher than mine (me 132.2 vs your 134.42) so I would say you are making a little more power than me. Don't go by my info. in the 1/4 mile table - I took out the front passenger seat, the rear seat and removed exhaust to get those numbers and it was about 110 lbs lighter then. The above numbers are with everything in and should be close to your weight. I have gotten a 1.428 60' time, so I know you have more left in your combo and high 1.30's are where I think you should be able to get. Good luck and glad you got it together in time for Pinks. I might have missed it, but what was the oil pressure problem? Nothing serious it seems, but still like to know. Later, Clay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
William Jones
Member


Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 823
Location: Lake city, FL
28541.86 points


1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
As far as to the wheel h.p., I would guess you are very close to what I have. My weight is similar to yours, you are about 50 pounds or so heavier and I normally run a 6.49 in the 1/8th with a m.p.h. of around 106ish. I made 609 rwhp but your 1/4 mph is a little higher than mine (me 132.2 vs your 134.42) so I would say you are making a little more power than me. Don't go by my info. in the 1/4 mile table - I took out the front passenger seat, the rear seat and removed exhaust to get those numbers and it was about 110 lbs lighter then. The above numbers are with everything in and should be close to your weight. I have gotten a 1.428 60' time, so I know you have more left in your combo and high 1.30's are where I think you should be able to get. Good luck and glad you got it together in time for Pinks. I might have missed it, but what was the oil pressure problem? Nothing serious it seems, but still like to know. Later, Clay.


The most intresting thing about my time slip is that I picked up 28mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4. Looking over a bunch of time slips I have from other 9 sec cars we raced against, that is mid 9 sec accelaration and makes sense because the converter is to tight, I short shifted it and left the line at 3800rpm. Once I got to the 1/8 I was in high gear and in the powerband and the motor really responded.

On the oil pressure we pulled the motor and put a new regular volume meling select pump and primed it with pan off to see how the bottom end was oiling catching it in a pan and everything looked normal and had 60psi with the drill. So we put it back in and still have the same problem on start up we have 60psi then once it warms we get a steady 40 at idle but it only increases to 44psi steady at 6500rpm. We had a oil filter relocation kit on it but it knocked 10 psi off that number so we went with just a filter.
It is my belief that the oiling passages in the block are to big to run a standard volume pump. So to help until we can pull the motor again and put in a high volume we are going to run pinks without an oil filter we drove the car around today to get any crap that might be in there from the build process into the filter then we are going to pull the filter and loop the oil back into the filter relocation with #10 line in hopes of gaing another 10psi and increased flow. Keep you fingers crossed. The other night I had 50psi the whole run but the oil wasn't hot at the start so if I had to run back to back I would loose some of that I would like to see at least 50psi at temp.

Bam

_________________
Take the horse out off the barn and let her RUN BABY RUN!!!!!

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
555nova
Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 62

2155.50 points


1974 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought , if you dont mind turning your motor to 7500 rpm you could use some 4.30 gears to help get out of the hole better and save about $700 over a new converter. 140 mph should be right around 7500.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wagon train
Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2007
Posts: 258
Location: Orange City, FL
7307.16 points


1983 Mercury Capri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Jones wrote:
clay wrote:
As far as to the wheel h.p., I would guess you are very close to what I have. My weight is similar to yours, you are about 50 pounds or so heavier and I normally run a 6.49 in the 1/8th with a m.p.h. of around 106ish. I made 609 rwhp but your 1/4 mph is a little higher than mine (me 132.2 vs your 134.42) so I would say you are making a little more power than me. Don't go by my info. in the 1/4 mile table - I took out the front passenger seat, the rear seat and removed exhaust to get those numbers and it was about 110 lbs lighter then. The above numbers are with everything in and should be close to your weight. I have gotten a 1.428 60' time, so I know you have more left in your combo and high 1.30's are where I think you should be able to get. Good luck and glad you got it together in time for Pinks. I might have missed it, but what was the oil pressure problem? Nothing serious it seems, but still like to know. Later, Clay.


The most intresting thing about my time slip is that I picked up 28mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4. Looking over a bunch of time slips I have from other 9 sec cars we raced against, that is mid 9 sec accelaration and makes sense because the converter is to tight, I short shifted it and left the line at 3800rpm. Once I got to the 1/8 I was in high gear and in the powerband and the motor really responded.

On the oil pressure we pulled the motor and put a new regular volume meling select pump and primed it with pan off to see how the bottom end was oiling catching it in a pan and everything looked normal and had 60psi with the drill. So we put it back in and still have the same problem on start up we have 60psi then once it warms we get a steady 40 at idle but it only increases to 44psi steady at 6500rpm. We had a oil filter relocation kit on it but it knocked 10 psi off that number so we went with just a filter.
It is my belief that the oiling passages in the block are to big to run a standard volume pump. So to help until we can pull the motor again and put in a high volume we are going to run pinks without an oil filter we drove the car around today to get any crap that might be in there from the build process into the filter then we are going to pull the filter and loop the oil back into the filter relocation with #10 line in hopes of gaing another 10psi and increased flow. Keep you fingers crossed. The other night I had 50psi the whole run but the oil wasn't hot at the start so if I had to run back to back I would loose some of that I would like to see at least 50psi at temp.

Bam



What are the clearances and is it restricted to the top end.Restrictions are for good for more oil to the crank,but bad for the springs.I only had 55psi on a 9500 rpm engine with N.O.S.I only ran the cheapest 10w30 oil I could find.Used the same bearings all year.

_________________
FORD POWER RULES DEATH TO ALL CHEVYS.

"BAKER"
10/5/50-11/7/06

"She doesn't seem to be breathing right,it might be the jets."-The Mechanic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
William Jones
Member


Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 823
Location: Lake city, FL
28541.86 points


1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bearing clearances are .003 and we watched it oil with the pan off nothing looked out of the ordinary. I would be happy with 50psi but once the motor is good and warm I am only getting 41-45 at full rpm. I would like to see a little more what do you think I have no metal or anything showing up in the pan and the motor runs great but I am a little leary of the pressure. We are running no restrictors sense the block has the priority main oiling.

Bam

_________________
Take the horse out off the barn and let her RUN BABY RUN!!!!!

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Small Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Home | Contact Us | Automath | Cam Files | Dyno Search | Forum | Garage | Picture Gallery | Reaction Timer

Copyright 1997-2016 SMOKEmUP.com All rights reserved.
Advertising Info     Disclaimer     Privacy Policy