Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Fall Northeast Autocrosses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cobblemaster

1528.60 points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Fall Northeast Autocrosses Reply with quote

Well, my car has been disabled all summer while I work on the shop at school getting ready for NATEF certification.
But I am back on it now, and there are several autocrosses to hit.
I know I will be in Atco NJ in November on the 13th and 20th, if anyone wants to hang out, take a ride with an instructor (me) or even drive my car.
I will be borrowing a ride for DC in October.
Dates are here: http://www.autox4u.com/schedule.htm
Winter dates will probably be added.

HotRodDaddy

2974.18 points

1994 Eagle Talon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of these days ill be able to if i can ever save up the money!! i have seen auto cross just once in peoria and it looked like a ton of fun!! good luck at the races let us know how bad you beat em by!! Burn Out
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. I wish I could go. Maybe next year.
White_Phantom

127.32 points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it hard to get in to an autocross event? I would like to know from a seasoned driver like you what it is like.
tyrfryer

521.42 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what phantom said, I've always thought this looked like fun. If I was in the east you can bet I'd be looking to take a ride! Twisted Evil
cobblemaster

1528.60 points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting into autocross is easy.
I would suggest going to one and watching, and asking questions.
Then just show up and run.

Obviously some cars are better for this, but I will flog anything. It's all about the fun and improving your skills.

Pennsylvania area schedule
http://www.autox4u.com/schedule.htm

Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my misspent youth the SCCA used to auto-cross once a month on the campus of USF out by the Engineering school in the remote parking lot (called that because that is were they used to park people who would not, or could not, pay for a parking decal that allowed you to park closer to civilization; and USF was built upon the north side of a WWII fighter training air strip). Anyway, at the time I owned a Baldwin Motion '68 Camaro with a 600 horse 427, close ratio 4 spd, 4.88 rear gears with a Posi in the rear end suspended with Lakewood J-bar traction bars set really tight, and 90/10 shocks up front. It had a custom interior with a rose wood three spoke steering wheel with standard steering and 5.60X15" Goodyears up front with L-60-15s on the rear (state of the art back then).

A fellow engineering student invited me to drive his car if he got to drive mine. His was the much more interesting of the two; besides I had been driving my car for two years already and was so used to it that I thought of it as my daily transportation and not as a hot rod. His car was a rectangular tube chassis go cart powered by a 170 horse Corvair engine driving through a Porsche 5 speed ZF gear box trans-axle. It had 12"x 6" wheels with huge 10" wide Goodyear Blue Streak racing tires built for some strange car on all four corners. It had a home made rack and pinion steering with home made unequal length whish bone front suspension using coil over shocks, great for doing 360 turns without even trying.

It was a race between us to see who could eat the greatest number of cones, he or I. He had never had to drive such an ill mannered, over powered, unresponsive (in turns) vehicle in his life. I had never been auto-crossing before and his car handled like an overpowered formula one race car. We both had a blast and Goodyear made out as well as we roasted a set of hides on both cars. Most fun I ever had driving a car.

They no longer hold races at USF because every square inch of the campus (five miles by two miles) has been covered by buildings and parking is now in several twelve story parking garages (If you can find a space, as most everyone who arrives after 7 A.M. parks at the local mall and rides the bus to campus now).

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Road Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: