Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

welders
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: welders Reply with quote

The tube notching thread got me thinking. I know I will need a rollbar in the next couple years, maybe even if it stays NA but I keep looking at used nitrous goodies so it may not stay NA Twisted Evil .

Seems like there are constantly other projects where a welder would come in handy too, I have an antiroll that needs repair and I would like to try Instant Center brackets as well and a hundred other little things.

I do have a little 110volt wirefeed which is fine for tacking things or exhaust work light duty stuff.

I would really like to have a bigger welder though that could do just about everything else.

What do you guys use for suspension and rollbar work and if you had it to do over what would you change about the equipment you bought?

I am sure I will develope a case of sticker shock once I find out what I will need to spend but let's have it anyway.
Miller is close by and I think I might be able to get reconditioned stuff Very Happy .
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with a 220 volt Miller or Lincoln at 150 amps minimum. I prefer the Lincoln and have 2 wire feeds and 1 tig/stick welder.
The last Lincoln I bought was 4 years ago and paid $650.00. It is the sp175+
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a Miller Maxstar 200 and a Lincoln Weldpak 175. they are both 220v machines. the Miller is a DC TIG. its an inverter machine as opposed to a transformer machine. i chose that one because its much smaller, portable, and works off of less power (perfect for using at home). the inverter machines are more expensive though. mine was $2500. if you want a TIG and have some heavy duty wiring to run it, i recomend the Miller Synchrowave 180. its a big bulky transformer machine but you will save some $$$ and it will weld anything you can throw at it. the Lincoln is a MIG. costs about $600 for the machine with everything but a bottle of Argon. i can blow holes through 1/4 plate with it so no problem with a lack of amps. you can also get stainless and aluminum wire for the MIG. you just cant (according to NHRA rules) weld Chrome Moly with it.

nwcc

158.80 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a new Lincoln 180 for $600.00. This Lincoln also had the added bonus that you can buy a very inexpensive spool gun to weld aluminum. I just checked my invoice and I payed $150.00 for the Lincoln Magnum 100SG 130 Amp Air Cooled Spool Gun.

For a inexpensive spool gun it welds very well.
nwcc

158.80 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
you just cant (according to NHRA rules) weld Chrome Moly with it.

I've always thought it was funny how IMCA allows chromo to be welded with a mig.
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, machine sizing will depend on budget/materials you wish to weld mostly... but here is one piece of info I know and think you'll appreciate...

Hobart and Miller are the same damn thing. I have a Hobart Handler 175 machine, now 7 years old and still havent done anything to it but change tips and spools of wire and work it. Built a half dozen airbagged trucks with it, and a few lifted trucks, now working on a pair of Fords for the street... Most of my fab work stays at 1/4" steel or lighter. I wouldn't buy a 175 amp machine for any heavier work.

That being said, the Miller machine of the same size has the same gun and lead, same case in blue instead of grey, same guts inside, but instead of 4 heat ranges, the Miller has 7. All the parts in a Hobart have Miller numbers, and the repair parts are all sold as Miller parts. Miller owns Hobart.

Anyways, for a nice MIG that will hold up for a decade, I can vouch for Hobart or Miller. Just depends between those 2 if you want Utilitarian in Grey or Fancy in Blue! Also if you think the machine like mine would work for you, the best deal is through Tractor Supply Company, the Handler 180 machine, the starter kit and the cart for 599 bucks.

Just my $0.02
Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lincoln PowerMIG 180C is the one I picked up. It is the new replacement for the weldpak 175 unit. It is 220V with Gas shielding. It can weld Aluminum if I buy the Spool Gun mentioned by nwcc. It is my favorite toy besides the car in the garage.

It has already paid for itself easily in the past 6 months that I have owned it.

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
Brutisgearhead

6122.48 points

1974 Chevrolet Monza

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a miller syncrowave 200 tig welder. I love it. Espacially the pulse for welding alluminum, really nice beads. My first welder was a lincoln buzz box 220, with Dc+-Dc- Ac, It could tig weld when set to dc-. Was enough for any thing I needed to fab on the car. Then I learned to tig alluminum and started welding repairs for the avarage guy that most welding shops would not touch because the job was too small. Make some great easy exter cash. Wink
FRITODAVE

5170.64 points

1969 Plymouth Barracuda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that Hobarts now come from overseas and are not really Hobarts. I was told Miller bought the name. I would look at the duty cycle first. The bigger the number the better. It is always good to go overkill on welding equipment. I use a USA made Hobart 300 amp 100% duty cycle 3 phase tig which will probably outlast me. I would buy a good used machine out of a shop that is going under.
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... well maybe that is the case now. I would definitely look into that. I know mine is a USA made machine as I described, I hope they didnt ruin them now Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a millermatic 200 with the spool gun provision which I have never used. It is on a cart and is very portable. I have a 50' cord so I can roll it anywhere in the shop. If you buy one out of some shop, make sure it is not a 3 phase or it will not work at your house. 220 single phase is house current. You can find some good deals. I just sold a Linde ucc305 300 amp tig/stick for 300.00 because I have had it for 5 years and have never used it once. If I do get another tig it will be small enough to carry and set on the bench. IMO mig is way faster, and easier, and welds thick steel easily. Tig is time consuming and takes some degree of skill, but you must have it to weld certain metals or aluminum.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miller/ Hobart is still the same. That is unless Frito has info he's withholding. secret Laughing
jhyjohnson

4780.54 points

1973 Buick Apollo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a millermatic 210. took me 8 years to talk my boss into a mig welder and to dump the stick welder. absolutely love this machine. have the spool gun to weld aluminum or stainless. whats great is you can leave spool gun and both tanks hooked up at the same time so no having to swap tanks or guns. so easy to use just follow the chart inside of cover. i have taught myself how to weld using this machine and just practicing. even aluminum isnt that bad once you get used to it. we weld 3/8" even up to 1/2" with it fabbing up brackets for dump trucks and heavy equiptment.
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an example- the Millermatic 212 is 1460 bucks and the Hobart Ironman 210 is 1230 bucks from Cyberweld. Both can have the Spoolmate 3035 added for the same 562 bucks...

It all comes down to whether the options added to the Miller make it 230 bucks more appealing if ya ask me. I used a Millermatic 210 in welding school actually, thats how I got hooked on the power of blue! I bought the Hobart to save a few bucks, as the 7 heat ranges vs. 4 heat ranges was not something I cared about.

That, and miller stuff is close to being Ford blue Laughing
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just curious, what is the warranty on Hobart ? Miller is 3 years. one thing i will say about the Miller repair facilities (at least the ones locally) is that they WILL make every effort to diagnose and repair problems with your machine. even if it does turn out to be a bad TIG torch Embarassed .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: