Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

$200.00 wrecked 87 Z28
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would assume yes for a custom

not if you get a hypertech

i had a hypertech in my tbi (years ago when it still was f.i.)
then i put in 3.73 gears (didnt put in new drive and driven gears in the tranny for speedo calibration)

wouldnt go past like 97 mph
the governor was 110 or 120

tpi and tbi cars have different speedo set ups
one is a 4000 pulse per mile set up
the other is a 2000 with a buffer to the computer

my point is a tpi MIGHT NOT have a governor
GTAracer

416.22 points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in Cali, right? That would mean you have to stay smog compliant.

Your 305, if still stock, will have the 081 heads. If it's the automatic, then the 87 year came with a "peanut" camshaft. Right around .400" lift and 200deg duration at 0.050". The 081 heads have 1.84 intake valves and 1.5 exhaust valves and 58cc combustion chambers. In stock form they are good for an easy 300hp gross. Mild bowl blend and port cleanup and they are an easy 400hp set of heads using the stock valve size. Camshaft is a major weak point. Once you get up to around 220deg duration @ 0.050" lift, you'll need some prom tuning software, equipment, or aftermarket computer. Look over at www.moates.net for some good info and choices. Your rear gear may very well be a 2.73 peg leg. The injectors for a 305 are 19lb rated.

Not sure how much power you want to put in a 17year old's hands...but a new street/strip torque converter, mild cam would be a good start along with some exhaust modifications. A ZZ4 cam would work nicely, and get started in prom tuning early on. Tuning up the car while knowing what your sensors are showing is invalueable.

I just started working on my stock 89 GTA 5-Speed 305 powered with TPI and 3.45 gear car. Stock it ran 9.7s at 72, 73 mph in the 8th mile with a 2.26 60'. All I did was take the exhaust off from post catalytic converters (after it merged to One 2-1/2" pipe). Not loud at all. Ran 9.2 @ 75 mph with a 2.03 60'. That's a 14.4 sec qtr mile car. That shows how restrictive the stock exhaust is on these cars. I would think that would be fast enough for a 17 year old...unless he has prior experience with cars and speed/power.
Nothing touched on the motor (206 duration at .415/.430 lift cam stock). It does have the 5 speed and a 3.45 gear though.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
GTAracer

416.22 points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSHACK wrote:
I was wondering is the 5000 rpm limit just from the induction system or is it in the computer also. The guy at T.P.I.S. wouldn't go in to things too much, He said to start with there books so there on the way. Thanks for the tip Squeezer.

There is no rev limiter. Peak power in pure stock form is usually around 4200 rpm. No need to shift much higher than that. The TPI 165 computer does have a speed governer. IIRC, it's somewhere around 120 or 140. Don't recall. With prom tuning software from somewhere like www.moates.net., you can set it wherever you want it.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
GTAracer

416.22 points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSHACK wrote:
Could I get around 250 -275 H.p. from this 305, With a air foil in the intake, the comp cams CH 262 R12 cam, a stage 2 chip install & headers ?
Do these chips really work as the adds say.

250-275 is possible in a Well Tuned 305 TPI.

Air foil may gain you anywhere from 0-15hp depending on air/fuel ratio changes and N/A versus forced induction. You would need an air/fuel ratio guage and prom tuning software.

My advice:
DO NOT BUY A CHIP! You MUST learn to do this yourself. Otherwise...buy a carburetor. If you buy a Chip...you are throwing your money away in most cases. You'll get your money back from buying prom tuning software as soon as you use it once or twice.

GTAracer

416.22 points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSHACK wrote:
What about this cam it's the ZZ4, Think it would need a chip, headers & maybe a higher stall
Duration @ 0.050" Lift: 208/221
Lift: .474"/.510"
Lobe Separation: 112

Type: Hydraulic roller tappet

also found a comp cams CS 262H R12
duration at 050" in 206 ex 210
lift In. .450" Ex. .480 lobe sep 112
I think the comp cams would be better, For a kids daily driver. I wonder if it would need a chip?

You could get about 275 hp with the Comp Cams cam, bowl blend on the heads, and machined for new springs, headers and exhaust with a street/strip converter. Would probably even run alright with stock tune chip. Could bump up fuel pressure to band aid it if it ran a little lean.

Get into PROM Tuning early if you want to keep fuel injection on this car.

Once you've done that...then I would recommend porting intake or going aftermarket. They flow enough for 350-400 hp in perfect tune state as is (based on cfm flow rates of 200+)...but do run outta steam by 4500-4800 rpm in stock form.

Later

TSHACK

24533.64 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GTAracer Cheers whats needed for burning my oun chips?
How do I learn the ins & outs of chip tunning?

GTAracer

416.22 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSHACK wrote:
Thanks GTAracer Cheers whats needed for burning my oun chips?
How do I learn the ins & outs of chip tunning?

Some info:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom/288763-prom-tuning-guide-book.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tpi/104792-performance-proms-also-tps.html

1 set of tools (not the only way):
http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=54
http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=41
http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=142

You basically need a scan tool of some sort, and some way of changing the information in the chip using software. There are different types of software and scantools available. I'm just getting back into this after about 4 years(racing a TPI car)...and I am buying the above products (except maybe a different O2 sensor setup), before I make any more changes to my car. A laptop makes things easier, but is not absolutely necessary.
TSHACK

24533.64 points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say something about the 17 year old's gleaming eyes. His daily driver will be a 91 S10 with a stock sawed off 350 Laughing (4.3L). I'll be driving the Z28, It should get a lot better milage than my 93 GMC 2500 4X4 W/ 6.5 TD. about 16-17 on the freeway. angry
& with the price of diesel now higher than super! disgusted

TSHACK

24533.64 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on this project. 4/5 I picked up an 87 RS with out engine but with trans for $300.00. It's has a straight body, one thumb size dent on the drivers door, plus the usual parking lot dings. complete int. but a bad dash pad. The poor guy put new dunlop tires on drove it 300 miles & lost oil pressure. So new tires too.I just need to get the all of Z28's engine bay stuff working before the swap. so I'm not fighting so many grimlins. Very Happy
TSHACK

24533.64 points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove the 87 agian on thurs. ran it around town some, it never hit 220 temp. so i let it idle when I got home it finally hit 220' & wah al the primary came on Very Happy whoo hoo. but it worked well enough the temp dropped back down so quickly, that by the time I got around to see the gage it was at 185' . I guess I'll have to do the same thing but pull the primary relay to see if the secondary fan will come on. Thanks for the help on this guys. I'm not worthy I'm not worthy I'm not worthy:
Man my 79 camaro or the 81 never carved corner like this thing does Twisted Evil & is still need new shocks & bushings.

TSHACK

24533.64 points

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another up date, I've been driving the 87 z28 for a bout 3 1/2 weeks now it gets low 20 's in the mpg, (it did get 24 @ 55 But you know the song, I can't drive 55 Devil ). & is a hell of alot more fun to drive than the 91 S10 Or the 93 2500 4X4. Its real hard to keep me foots out of it. Twisted Evil Wink so lets see better fuel economy more fun to drive. WIN WIN. So I'm Driving it for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Camaro All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: