Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

I Need the LT1 guy...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 2 LT1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
projekt70chevelle

5603.78 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: I Need the LT1 guy... Reply with quote

OK friend has a 95 z28. 140k on the odometer, 1k on the trans (PO didnt take care of it)

So he wanted to do the longtube header swap and egr/air block off, it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Changed the plugs (ngk) and wires (taylors) bolted everything back up. Went to start it, nothing so we checked the firing order 3 times, then I pulled the plug to check for spark, nothing but we are smelling fuel. So we went over the wiring and vacuum lines several times. Not seeing any pinched or ripped wires so we went out and replaced the module and coil still got nothing. I busted out the voltmeter and the coil is sending 12 volts to the opti...

I'm saying its time for a new opti, but I find it odd that it would go out at a time like this not that any other time would good... Any other things I can check?
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got the opti wet, or the water pump leaked on it, it is probably ruined. This is probably a dumb question, but you did hook the coil wire back up didnt you? Anyway good luck.
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure you didnt accidently hook the coil wire to one of the other cap locations.
projekt70chevelle

5603.78 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yea we checked and the coil is hooked up correctly. They kind of make it hard to plug it anywhere else most of the plugs are specific to where they go.

He did have a leaky water pump a couple weeks before actually...
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced plenty of them from leaky pumps. I would always recommend replacing it with the water pump, and the ones that didnt usually went out in less than a month or so later from the coolant getting in them.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put this system on my car about three years ago... http://www.delteq.com/... and not a problem since. before i was killing three Opti-Spark units a year. they dont like flooded streets and when it rains in Houston, it usually floods somewhere.

96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the "opti eliminator" kits require a functional low voltage circuit which is the optical pickup part. The way coolant can kill an opti is by fouling the optical sensor, so if you are worried about coolant contamination a Delteq or LTCC are not even close to an answer.

IMO the opti sensitivity to water/coolant is GROSSLY overstated, I say this as having owned at least one LTx car for over 7 year and having put something like 170K miles on them.

I would check over carefully the harness that goes from the opti to the main harness up on the passenger side of the intake. Check carefully the female ends of the connectors as they can slide in just a little and probe fine with a multimeter but not engage the male pin properly. Ask me how I figured that one out Evil or Very Mad .

Keep us posted on your troubleshooting. I will try to keep checking in but I have A LOT going on. Short notice trip to the east coast with at 215K mile Roady wagon Shocked . She's a good old girl but in need of a little TLC before I leave thursday.
projekt70chevelle

5603.78 points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well got the opti in today and the car started right up... So we had to let the neighborhood know by taking it on a maiden open header voyage Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 2 LT1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: