Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

fuel supply
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
What about the new piston style mechanical pump.

unfortunately, not an option... when i assembled the short block years ago i already had the electric pump and figured there was no reason to install the eccentric for the fuel pump Head Bang

Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back into town from a quick trip to MO and back, so I am coming late to the party.

Aluminum tubing is what I use mounted inside the frame rails, tucked up with rubber insulated aluminum clips. It is very easy to work harden the material; so the flex connectors have to be clamped solidly to the frame so that any stress is not passed to the aluminum line.

A Holley Black will pump enough volume, but just barely at itís rated pressure. You will need to regulate the pressure with a return line of the same size (I personally use the next smaller size assuming the motor is going to consume some of the gas, and it makes figuring out which line is what easier (identifying supply from return while under the car)).

A mechanical pump is usually used with alcohol, but it will work fine with gas. It will move a lot of volume but it will not suck a lot from itís position on the front of the motor; so it requires a front mounted fuel tank (in front of the engine). This isnít a problem on a rail or tube chassis drag car but for the street it could get interesting (remember the old Moon tanks on the front bumpers of í55 Chevy shoe box gassers?)

Big Dave
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
THANKS!!!

ok, actually three things.... where the hell is Dave ???? i figured he would be all over this with a lengthy post worthy of bathroom reading Laughing

Laughing Laughing I about crapped my pants on that one!! Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing Holy crap! Laughing Laughing
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wagon train wrote:

A blue pump is rated at 110 gph
A black is 140 gph.

I don't recommend a by-pass per say,unless you have a pump or pumps with way more volume than you need.On all the cars I work on with Nitrous I put a bleed-return.Only on the Nitrous regulator.

It is a #4 line back to the tank with a smalll nos jet in it ,at the regulator end..020 is mostly what I run.Keeps regulator from deadheading ,but not much volume loss.Always set nos pressing flowing thru solenoid and jet you are going tho run.

You don't need two complete seperate systems just one well planned split system.

I have also run aluminum line.Works well,The only issue with that it is a good heat sink and will work both ways.Hot air or ground cold fuel will pull heat in.Cold air warm fuel will remove it.

Somehow I listened to you explain the bleed return to someone and I didnt quite catch it, reading it now it makes sense totally!

Aaaand would have saved a manifold!

Any gain/loss to using steel line in place of the aluminum? Outside of the fact it is harder to work with, i thought maybe longevity etc may be better?

I ask as my car will be seeing a lot of street and a lil strip....
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just ran aluminum lines on my car and its a hell of a lot easier to install. the previous fuel system, i ran steel lines and it was a PITA to bend around everything. i dont know about longevity but i would think steel would greatly outlast aluminum. if i was building a car primarily for street, i would go with steel. get a GOOD tubing bender. skimp on that and every 90 degree bend will be scrap metal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Nitrous Oxide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: