Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Smokin71RSSS Literally Smokes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smokin71RSSS

2020.86 points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:41 am    Post subject: Smokin71RSSS Literally Smokes Reply with quote

About a year ago my Camaro's 383 SBC started to smoke out of the left tail pipe. It smokes at idle constantly and even more when I'm stopped at a stop light(especially after I've floored it for a block or two) and when in reverse. Its even worse in these situations in the heat of the day. All the plugs have a small amount of oil but not near the electrodes and its been a year with the same plugs. It doesn't even use that much oil. I did a compression test and all cylinders were good (180psi). Everyone then told me it was my oil control rings. So I went to my friends to use his equipment to hone and re-ring. It was a hour long trip and when I first got there my friend put his finger in the pipe and pulled of black soot. Right there he said lets change the carb. I did and it stopped smoking for about 4 days and then started up again. He told me that I need to drive the car harder than I normally would because I just go through heavy stop and go traffic. So now I've been driving in 2nd gear to keep the RPM's up on the engine and that sort of works, but it still smokes.
Can anyone help? Do I need to re-jet the carb to run leaner? Do I need to change the stock torque converter which I've been meaning to do for years since the idle has never been right with this cam (Hyd 292/292 AdvDur .480/.480lift)? Or is it bad rings, guides, seals, etc?

Thanks for bearing with me
86GN

4042.20 points

1990 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do all the plugs on the left bank look the same ? Are you getting ash deposits or are the plugs black and glazed ?
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the car always smoked out of the left side tail pipe? Did you change anything around the time the car started smoking? Does the car have a true dual exhaust? Do you have a cataylic converter on the car?

What color is the smoke? (blue, black, white / grey)
Smokin71RSSS

2020.86 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine was sitting out for about 4 months when my friend took it out. Then it had a solid lifter cam with lift way over .550. I ran it in my car for about 1 1/2 months with no smoke and then changed the cam to a smaller hyd. lifter cam and then put dual 3 inch pipes with a cross pipe and 2 flowmasters( don't need a catalytic converter ). About 3 weeks later it started to smoke out the left pipe.

The plug are a tiny bit glazed and all are the same on both sides.
86GN

4042.20 points

1990 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things. Are you running a PCV valve, and if so, is it in a baffled grommet. All the plugs being the same takes away the intake leaking from the valley. Possibly, but I doubt it. The glazing definitely sounds like you're getting oil into the intake somewhere.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's interesting is all the plugs are glazed yet your only seeing smoke from the left side tail pipe, hmmmmm. I'd expect you to see smoke from both tail pipes. If all the plugs are glazed the PCV is a good bet since it can affect all of the cylinders. A mis aligned intake to cylinder head can cause you to be sucking oil in from the valley area too. If it was rings, vavle guides, or valve seals those typically don't affect all cylinders the same.

Listen to 86GN and start with the easy stuff. Try disconnecting the PCV valve and see if that helps. If that doesn't you want to pull the intake and take a look to see.
Smokin71RSSS

2020.86 points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried disconnecting the PCV and even replaced it just to be safe, but still it smokes. I then took the intake off and it looked real healthy. I also drove it alittle more than usual and when I got home I checked the pipe with the car idling and there was no smoke and none the rest of the day, but the next day it started up again. So, I'm still alittle baffled. On saturday I'm going to re-jet the carb alittle and see if that works. Untill then, anyone have a clue what might be going on?
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like vavle seals to me. Usually when the car sits for a bit (overnight) you'll see it smoke a good amount on start up. I think when you took the intake off you probably cleaned everything pretty good and that's why it didn't smoke that time.

What type of valve seals are you running?

Last edited by SMOKEmUP on Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smokin71RSSS

2020.86 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using umbrella seals, but if it were seals wouldn't it just smoke on start up and then go away or is that just guides? The biggest problem I have with the car smoking is when I stop at a stoplight or go in reverse at idle speed and see big puffs of smoke going past the drivers side window(coming out the left pipe). It doesn't happen every time though. Also now that I think about it the smoking does tend to ease up or even just stop later in the day after I've driven it atleast 3 or 4 times. Could this still be seals?
Thanks Again
Smokin71RSSS

2020.86 points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got good news. I replaced all the valve seals and it stopped smoking. This year long problem is finally solved.
Thanks for all the help Smokemup and 86GN.
Smokin71RSSS
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks great news and I'm glad your problem is solved. Now just take it to the track and see how it runs!
86GN

4042.20 points

1990 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: