Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

1972 Monte Carlo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: 1972 Monte Carlo Reply with quote

My good buddy and I took both of out car to the track yesterday and I have to tell you about his experience. He has a 72 Monte Carlo - all steel - that we put a 454 BBC in a few years back. The car has been a testament to the power potential of the big block every since. It's a very mild build - 9.8 - 1, factory retangle heads with some minor bowl cleanup, RPM air gap intake, reworked 850 flowing around 930, mechanical cam (230* at 0.050" on in. and ex.), and a 100 nitrous shot. Also runs a 3.31 gear and a GearVendors overdrive and functional A/C. First time out a few years ago we took it to Cooper River on real street tires (BFG radial TA's). It went a spinning 8.20 something, then after some practice a 7.95 and finally a 7.88. Later with slicks it has gone in the 7.60's on motor and has always spun on slicks trying to spray from home. Last week at Darlington, he went a 12.20 in the 1/4 on drag radials on motor and a 11.42 on nitrous hitting it about a car length out. We tried to spray it from home but it shook the tires pretty bad. Yesterday at Orangeburg, we tested the radials vs. slicks. The radials seem to be consistently a little faster on motor by a few hundreths. I'll have to say that Orangeburg has the best starting line prep I have seen so we tried the slicks and sprayed it from home. It never made a sound when it left and pulled a 1.51 60' time and ran a 7.11 pass. This is with a 4200 lb. car running pump gas!!!! I couldn't believe it. We are going to have to go back to Darlington for a 1/4 mile pass, but the 7.11 should be in the 11 teens by guess since it went a 7.26 1/8 on the 11.42 1/4 mile run. He is going to E-mail me some good digital pictures to post because you have to see this thing too. All in all, probably his best day at a track too. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Everything Goes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: