Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Looking for cam info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
72cheyenne

204.86 points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Looking for cam info Reply with quote

bought a bunch of 350 parts of my buddy for dirt cheap, i have a cam that i have no clue of the manufacturer or the grind, just know its a hyd flat tappet, mabye you guys can help? On the back of the cam are these stamped numbers 100042CD, 11 50-99. In front of the distributor gear there is a cast number 1539 and CWC, Behind the dist gear is a C10. Any ideas? I can try and take some pics if that would make it easier
Big Dave

116275.26 points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that 9 were a B so that it read 153B; then it would be a 236 @0.050" lift duration and 0.468" lift Lunati cam hydraulic flat tappet.

If it is a used flat tappet cam you should have the matching tappets because the tappets go with the lobes and are not interchangeable once worn (theoretically).

A degree wheel (9" to 11") in diameter and a dial indicator with a mounting stand can tell you exactly what your cam specifications are, and they can be used to dial it in at time of installation. I would consider buying these basic engine building tools, if you are interested in the hobby of hot rodding.

Numbers do not match any in the CompCams catalogue either.

Big Dave
72cheyenne

204.86 points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think we got it figured out to be a crane http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CRN%2D100042&autoview=sku I have a degree wheel and dial indicator so i will prolly check it out in one of my spare blocks to make sure thats what it is.
nwcc

154.80 points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dave briefly mentioned. You really shouldn't run a used camshaft. the only way that I would ever consider using a used flat tappet camshaft would be if I was the original owner and I made sure that all the lifters stayed matched to the lobes.

When I was 16 I got a used cam and didn't think twice about putting it in my Olds 455. To this day I remember double checking everything and breaking in the cam properly. Less than 1000 miles later it went flat. Who knows why...

For me its not worth the $$$ and hassle if things go wrong.

With that all said... Anyone want to sell me a roller cam and solid lifters, its for a SBC? J/K Shocked Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: