Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

destroke 454?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hsutton

274.48 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
496 is a 454 that has been 0.060" over bored, and fitted with a 1/4" longer than stock stroke of 4.250". The 496 is a street motor not a Pro Stock motor. The 502 is an 1/8" over bored 454 that retains the stock length stroke forged steel crank. The bores are so large that they are Siamesed (touching) just like in the case of a SBC 400. A 540 is a 0.030" over bored 502 block with another 1/4" added to the crank. My 582 is a 5.060" bore with a 3/8" stroker crank (the longest that will fit between the oil pan rails of a standard deck height block without grinding away the sides of the block). Painted orange it looks just like a 396/454 though the decal on the breather claims 402.

As I stated earlier a longer stroke engine builds more torque than a similar bore shorter stroke engine. The only thing that keeps the longer stroke engine from reving as high and as fast as the shorter stroke motor is the reciprocating mass and added parasitic losses due to the pistons rubbing a greater distance and pushing harder upon the cylinder walls. If you are willing to strengthen the bottom end with stronger parts, run smaller piston skirts with lighter pressure on your piston rings, you could build a motor that would rev as fast and as high as the shorter stroke motor; it just would not live very long; and it would burn oil (a bad thing in a pump gas motor because it causes detonation in the combustion chamber beating up your light weight ring pack).

As I told you in my first reply to your question of which is the best BBC engine; the 540 has the best of both worlds (bore and stroke) that fits within a standard deck block. I also said to go large as soon as you decide to use a tall deck block, because every tall beck motor you see is at least a 632, with about half being a 705 cid or larger (you have to assume they are at least or they will eat your shorts).

Big Dave
Just for reference, the 502 has a 4.47 bore. If you bore it to 4.500 it is a 509.
Big Dave

116768.90 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that I have no idea what I was thinking when I stated a 5.060" bore.

My motor has a 4.600 inch bore (Dart Big M block) with a 4.375" stroke Callies 4340 forged steel crank, with Ross forged pistons, Howard rods and a Lunati solid roller cam.

Big Dave
FRITODAVE

5170.64 points

1969 Plymouth Barracuda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a year lay off from smokemup, big dave you still sound the same! Post a pic of your dyno and I will tend to believe you. Till then, your antiquated book knowledge is pass'e. Knarley is correct in that rod length plays a very small part. Countless hours of dyno tests have shown very small gains in power only with high rpm high end engines. Bore and stroke ratio is truly determined by the application it is applied to. Power to weight ratio is everything. More weight more stroke.
af2

66885.28 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frito, you move from Bakersfield to KS and you get an attitude?

Give it a break. If everything was set in stone we would all run in the 9's and have 800 hp small blocks.

Glad you're back. Very Happy
FRITODAVE

5170.64 points

1969 Plymouth Barracuda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having a bad hair day. It is very windy here Surprised .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: