Home | Register | Login | Contact Us

 
Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites
 
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

65 mustang front suspension shims

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Mustang
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hahnfam
Newbie


Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Posts: 3

228.56 points



PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: 65 mustang front suspension shims Reply with quote

While taking apart the front suspension on my 65 mustang, the shims for the upper control arm "all" fell out. So I wasn't able to keep the front and back group of shims together. Any suggestions on what to do when putting the suspension back.

thanks Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
10sec.et
Member


Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Posts: 3473
Location: Houston,Texas
346658.74 points


1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need an alignment anyway. just put back an even number of shims on each bolt/stud and take it in for an alignment.
_________________
af2 wrote:
It seems we can look at our magical Balls and come up with a fix?

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
af2
Member


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 5558
Location: grassvalley, ca
71227.76 points


1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 in front 3 in back? As 10 said! Put them back in how you thought and bring it to a front end shop so they will tell you how screwed up the front end is and need $2000.00 work to get it there! Ball joints tie rods bushings ETC ETC!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
10sec.et
Member


Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Posts: 3473
Location: Houston,Texas
346658.74 points


1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
2 in front 3 in back? As 10 said! Put them back in how you thought and bring it to a front end shop so they will tell you how screwed up the front end is and need $2000.00 work to get it there! Ball joints tie rods bushings ETC ETC!


Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing did you just leave my shop ? Shocked Embarassed

_________________
af2 wrote:
It seems we can look at our magical Balls and come up with a fix?

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
af2
Member


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 5558
Location: grassvalley, ca
71227.76 points


1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
af2 wrote:
2 in front 3 in back? As 10 said! Put them back in how you thought and bring it to a front end shop so they will tell you how screwed up the front end is and need $2000.00 work to get it there! Ball joints tie rods bushings ETC ETC!


Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing did you just leave my shop ? Shocked Embarassed


DOE! I hope not!!!! Have seen a few around here that way though! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
10sec.et
Member


Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Posts: 3473
Location: Houston,Texas
346658.74 points


1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
10sec.et wrote:
af2 wrote:
2 in front 3 in back? As 10 said! Put them back in how you thought and bring it to a front end shop so they will tell you how screwed up the front end is and need $2000.00 work to get it there! Ball joints tie rods bushings ETC ETC!


Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing did you just leave my shop ? Shocked Embarassed


DOE! I hope not!!!! Have seen a few around here that way though! Evil or Very Mad


problem is most shops now are inexperienced. depending on who is doing the work and who is paying the bill usually determines wether or not the parts are bad. sad but very true. new guys out of school sell a lot of stuff because they dont know better. they see a little play and assume the part is bad only to install a new part thats exactly the same. insurance/warranty companies dont want to pay for anything so they give you a ridiculous set of specs... vertical play is ok (no matter how bad) lateral play is ok if it doesnt exceed 0.xxx in. then you have the "you need four new tires before we can align your car" con artists. dont go to a tire shop for an alignment, you will get this line every time. its the suspension thats being aligned NOT the tires. however, if you take in a 35+ year old car with factory original suspension dont be surprised when you get a $2000 estimate. remember, its YOUR car. if someone trys to sell you something that doesnt sound right MAKE THEM SHOW YOU!!! theres WAY too many so-called repair shops out there whos only intention is to part you with your money.

_________________
af2 wrote:
It seems we can look at our magical Balls and come up with a fix?

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
beersngars
Member


Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 390
Location: Ohio
13369.80 points


1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"then you have the "you need four new tires before we can align your car" con artists. dont go to a tire shop for an alignment, you will get this line every time. its the suspension thats being aligned NOT the tires"


Agree 100%....But, Ive done alignments setting the thing up dead nuts and having the customer say "it still pulls...it still shimmys...it drives no better than before...ect" when all along the problem the car came in for relates back to the tires. Joe Blo thinks because the tires have tread and air, all is well. Besides tires are expensive and FE alignments are cheap.

Not being arguementive, just remember dealing with the public. Sorry for the rant. Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
10sec.et
Member


Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Posts: 3473
Location: Houston,Texas
346658.74 points


1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beersngars wrote:
"then you have the "you need four new tires before we can align your car" con artists. dont go to a tire shop for an alignment, you will get this line every time. its the suspension thats being aligned NOT the tires"


Agree 100%....But, Ive done alignments setting the thing up dead nuts and having the customer say "it still pulls...it still shimmys...it drives no better than before...ect" when all along the problem the car came in for relates back to the tires. Joe Blo thinks because the tires have tread and air, all is well. Besides tires are expensive and FE alignments are cheap.

Not being arguementive, just remember dealing with the public. Sorry for the rant. Embarassed



you are absolutely correct. tires cause a lot of problems blamed on the alignment. what i meant by that statement is that a lot of shops will tell the customer they CANT DO AN ALIGNMENT unless you buy new tires. thats total BS. you CAN do the alignment. if the numbers are in spec and the car still pulls then its the TIRES. thats where a GOOD service advisor comes in. he shows the print out to the customer and explains to them that the alignment is correct. usually we can convince them that by swapping the tires around and making the car pull the oppsite direction. of course theres always the customer that wont be happy with anything. just part of the job.

_________________
af2 wrote:
It seems we can look at our magical Balls and come up with a fix?

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
af2
Member


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 5558
Location: grassvalley, ca
71227.76 points


1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem is balance! Tires on any straight axle that aren't balanced correctly will cause problems that almost every front end shop here will blame on ball joints! 4WD etc. Shocked Total BS!

Balance the tires then see what is real!
It seems at 45 mph the thing shimmies and it gets the worn out part syndrome! Mad

Tires are the culprit 90% of the time!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
beersngars
Member


Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 390
Location: Ohio
13369.80 points


1948 Chevrolet Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
The biggest problem is balance! Tires on any straight axle that aren't balanced correctly will cause problems that almost every front end shop here will blame on ball joints! 4WD etc. Shocked Total BS!

Balance the tires then see what is real!
It seems at 45 mph the thing shimmies and it gets the worn out part syndrome! Mad

Tires are the culprit 90% of the time!


Adam, I agree 100% with your last line. Getting back to the poster's original question, I would do my best to "eyeball" it in, then go to a GOOD alignment shop and tell them up front it's friggin no where close. Embarassed If possible try to talk to the alignment guy and apply grease. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
af2
Member


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 5558
Location: grassvalley, ca
71227.76 points


1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, I agree 100% with your last line. Embarassed If possible try to talk to the alignment guy and apply grease. Cool[/quote]

I agree with the grease!! When you get the bill!!!!! Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
af2
Member


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 5558
Location: grassvalley, ca
71227.76 points


1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly!! You have seen what will an can happen when ill informed.

That said do the best you can with the shims and take it to a reputable shop!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Mustang All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Home | Contact Us | Automath | Cam Files | Dyno Search | Forum | Garage | Picture Gallery | Reaction Timer

Copyright 1997-2016 SMOKEmUP.com All rights reserved.
Advertising Info     Disclaimer     Privacy Policy