Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Slip on collector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Slip on collector Reply with quote

Edelbrock just came out with a set of stainless headers for the F-body. It's a 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" primary tubes to a 3 1/2" high velocity merge collector. The price is really good but the collector is a slip fit design. I think this will leak like no tomorrow. Anybody have experience with slip fit collectors? Will these have to be welded up?

I challenge you to push yourself.
Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slip fit to tune and then weld.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Slip on collector Reply with quote

smokemup wrote:
Edelbrock just came out with a set of stainless headers for the F-body. It's a 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" primary tubes to a 3 1/2" high velocity merge collector. The price is really good but the collector is a slip fit design. I think this will leak like no tomorrow. Anybody have experience with slip fit collectors? Will these have to be welded up?

Smoke, I think the reason they are slip fit so you can get them in and out without pulling the motor. I ran Hooker slip fit headers on my Vega and never had a problem using a small amount of high temp rtv, they didn't have good copper rtv at that time. 1981 Shocked
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:
Slip fit to tune and then weld.

I figured. It's probably not worth the hassle for my application. Better to just buy a header done and bolt it in. Plus you know how much luck I have with Eddie stuff Crap

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only set I have been associated were on a Boss 302 in a 64 Mustang. They had to slip together to install as af2 said. Never really saw any real leakage though - theoretically there should always be a slight vacuum in this area - right - maybe - but probably not in the real world. Clay
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only experience with slip on tubes was with a BBC in a Camaro. Tubes were Hooker Super Competition, and two of the primaries and the collector slipped together and were held together by bolts holding two welded tabs in place. They did it that way as headers had to go both sides of the frame (two tubes on the inside two on the outside). Real bag of snakes but they didn't leak (any worse than the gasket leaks on the rest of the set up anyway).

Honestly didn't know you and Vic weren't on speaking terms. PM me with your laundry list sometime. Maybe I can mail you a voucher for a beer or two.

Big Dave
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always weld in a bungholio and see if you have positive or negative readings at that point. Then decide from there if the slips will be of good. Just a thought before you spend the $$$.
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run the slip ons with no problems. I think they do leak a tiny bit but I never noticed any noise.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley Darley wrote:
I have run the slip ons with no problems. I think they do leak a tiny bit but I never noticed any noise.

Any leakage is an issue for these cars since this is where the O2 sensor is mounted.

Here's a pic from edelbrock's site. (not a very good picture)

The more I think about this I'll probably buy a set of QTP's or Kooks, they are proven performers, just a bit more money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: